PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning and Backne

Liss
December 29th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I spent a lot of time with spots on my back, which is horrid and easy to forget about when they can't be seen... until the summer comes... eeek.

Someone mentioned to me that it could be from the conditioner running down my back since I rinse it out after I've finished washing.

I tried washing my back last, but my old habits usually make me forget, so I haven't been able to tell if it's a solution or not.

Does anyone else think the conditioner would cause this? I've tried all sorts of brands over the years and always end up with the spots.

Liluri
December 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I doubt conditioner would be the cause, it might aggravate the situation if you have sensitive skin though.

Calista
December 29th, 2009, 06:24 AM
You could try a vinegar rinse after/instead of conditioner. It would rinse the last bit of conditioner away and is good for your skin.

squiggyflop
December 29th, 2009, 07:07 AM
yup i used to get these (well i still do but its much better now).. now i condition with my hair not touching the skin and its cleared up considerably.. like i lean forward with the hair dangling over my shoulder

Drynwhyl
December 29th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I don't think it's the conditioner, but anything is possible (as my body taught me).
Lean your head to the front while you condition, it won't touch your back. I always washed my hair like that, it didn't even occur to me to wash it standing up straight because it was always long and would tangle all over me xD

UncommonTart
December 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I always wash my hair first thing in the shower and then I'll get out, wrap it up in a turbi-towel, and get back in to wash the rest of me. This has helped a great deal with the backne for me. It also keeps my hair out of my way while I wash the rest of me.

GlassEyes
December 29th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Well, how about you clip it after it's conditioned, wash your back, then lean forward to rinse it al out? It might work.

Heavenly Locks
December 29th, 2009, 08:07 AM
To prevent this with myself...I rinse leaned a little to the side so that my hair is sort hanging past my shoulder. :)

linda g
December 29th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Well, how about you clip it after it's conditioned, wash your back, then lean forward to rinse it al out? It might work.

This is what I do. I keep a giant clip in the shower, so as soon as I finish my hair, I clip it up out of the way, then wash my body.

Liss
December 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

It looks to me like those of use who suffer from it believe it can be related to the conditioners. While those who doubt it, probably don't have the problem in the first place! (I am guessing though)

I've started vinegar rinsing this morning, so I'll see how that goes. I'll also clip it up, but I have a long-standing routine of rinsing my hair as the very last thing I do.

Anyway, I'm planning to try the oil cleansing method all over soon, so my routine will be changing considerably. Will be sure to try and keep the conditioner off my back from now onwards.

ktani
December 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I have read about this on makeupalley.com in conditioner reviews.

Another solution may be just to wash and condition your hair all forward. I have been washing my hair "upside down" for years.

ButterCup02
December 29th, 2009, 10:50 AM
This is what I do. I keep a giant clip in the shower, so as soon as I finish my hair, I clip it up out of the way, then wash my body.

This is what I do as well. When I first started CO'ing I did find it gave me some acne on my back, so I just had to change my routine a bit to making sure I wash off my back after I rinse out my conditioner. No more backne!

Islandgrrl
December 29th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I wash my hair upside down as well. Totally solved the problem for me. I didn't get backne, per se, but my back would itch so badly from residual conditioner that I just wanted to crawl out of my skin! I should note that I leave a generous amount of conditioner in my hair, so it was getting all over my back, full strength. Ick.

baobhan sith
December 29th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I'm pretty sure conditioner gave me bacne, but it could have just been because it contained cones. It stopped when i started washing my hair upside down at any rate.

emi77
December 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM
For me, a coney conditioner would give me bacne.
No cones, and the spots are gone within a week.

I did an experiment with my conditioners once to see if it was the cones or not, and those were the results I got. Another advantage to going cone free!!!

walterSCAN
December 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I always wash my hair first thing in the shower and then I'll get out, wrap it up in a turbi-towel, and get back in to wash the rest of me. This has helped a great deal with the backne for me. It also keeps my hair out of my way while I wash the rest of me.

This is brilliant! I'm going to have to try it as soon as I get a turbi...

Longlocks3
December 29th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I invested in a cheap bad scrubber on a long handle for in the shower. I usually use an 'apricot' scrub like St. Ives(I also use this on my face, twice a week). It helps immensely.

rogue_psyche
December 29th, 2009, 01:13 PM
To avoid backne I put my hair in a conditioning cap while the conditioner soaks in, so that the conditioned hair isn't just laying against my back aggravating the issue. When I rinse my hair, I arch my back so that my hair doesn't touch my back while the water runs down it. I have a hand-held shower head, which I position right on my hairline so the water flows through my whole length. That part might be a little harder with shorter hair. I think when it was APL-BSL I would rinse the length by tiling my head to the side and pointing the water at a downward diagonal toward it.

If you have a SO, ask him or her to wash your back every so often. Have them use their nails to gently remove dead skin and emerging sebum plugs that haven't left the skin yet. Backs are at double threat of acne not just because of all the conditioner, but because we can't properly exfoliate the skin ourselves. If you don't have someone who can wash your back, get a long handled brush with stiff bristles and use that to wash your back. You get best results cleaning your back after rinsing the conditioner (same goes for washing your face.)

When you step out of the shower, gently remove the excess water from your hair, and then lift your hair and dry your back. Try not to let damp water sit directly on your back for very long.

girlcat36
December 29th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Conditioners with cones caused my bacne.
I had it for years.
I haven't had bacne since going cone-free three years ago. And yes, I still let the conditioner sit in my hair on my back while I shower, but no bacne now.
It was the cones that did it.

Buddaphlyy
December 29th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I have bacne year round (for some reason it got really bad this year) but I only condition once a week so I don't think it's the conditioner. I think mine is related to not exfoliating like I should and wearing lots of layers of clothes and sweating under them.

But since you think it's your conditioner, I would go with the suggestions of putting your hair up and rinsing away from your body.

Liss
December 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I like my cones too much to try giving them up just yet, so I think I'll try rinsing face down.

I'll also make an effort to exfoliate because I guess the conditioner just adds to the problem.

No SO here to scrub-a-dub-dub me since we live in different countries, so I have to do it all alone.

Wishing I could go back to the days when I could play with my rubber duckies in the bath tub before being wrapped up in a giant towel and never even think about anything other than tea parties with my dolls.

Sweetness
December 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Same issue here :oops:

What about backne scars ? Any tips on getting these to fade ??

and do you think the aspirin mask could help backne go away too ?

SlightlySoprano
December 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I am convinced that conditioner can absolutely aggrivate backne!!

Try scrubbing your back with face wash. Yes, face wash, after you use conditioner. Using some mild acne medication in a wash (like a salicylic acid wash) will definitely help.

The body shop makes a tea tree oil face moisturizer that's supposed to reduce scarring, you could try that!

Buddaphlyy
December 29th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Same issue here :oops:

What about backne scars ? Any tips on getting these to fade ??

and do you think the aspirin mask could help backne go away too ?

When budget constraints lift a bit, I will be start using Neutrogena Body Clear Body Scrub. It's always worked well for me.

GoddesJourney
December 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Yes, it can cause this. You could try washing your hair separately (like scalp washing or something). Then just clip your hair out of the way when you shower.

Fluke
December 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I had backne all year round for years, then I found LHC, went cone free and *poof* backne gone!

I CO daily with cone free conditioners and they are always running down my back, but no backne..

So in my case CONES was the culprit, just another reason for me to quit them. not to mention how yucky they made my fine hair..

:)

ItalianFlower
December 29th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I used to have this problem and what fixed it was, and this will sound really easy, but I just made special care to dry off my shoulders immediately after getting out of the shower (since it would be slick with conditioner and I would just keep the towel underneath the hair until it dried. No contact = no bacne.

klcqtee
December 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I noticed it wasn't the conditioner that gave me problems. Frequent washings did though! Washing every day, my back was red, and bumpy, and inflamed, and constantly sore and itchy. Thinking what many people always told me, my skin was dirty, I washed it more often. This made problems even worse. During the winter, it became too cold, and I too lazy, to wash every day. Now I wash my back every couple days, with a mild soap, rinsed very very well. Heck, no soap at all works perfectly fine for me, if I end up washing every day (due to exercise or general stinkyness). Maybe the conditioner on your back acts as too harsh of a soap for your skin, causing it to over produce oil, and then break out? Or it could be your body soap in general (as it was for me). Not washing my back with soap, and doing a gentle CO (no harsh shampoos for me!) has cleared up the skin on my back a ton.

ETA: Fluke made me realize, going cone free has made my backne (and acne in general) even better.

angelakeats
December 30th, 2009, 12:33 AM

I agree.
I used to get a bit of "backne" with CO but found the above suggestion to be very helpful.
That, and using a conditioner that is "thinner" than what you are using now.
Hope it helps.

JCFantasy23
December 30th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I have it as well and don't think it's from conditioner. I didn't start using a conditioner until 2009 and have had that problem for years. Also, I alternate between baths and showers. I think it's more because of sweat. Long hair and sweat, if you wear it down enough, can be worse also.

Syaoransbear
December 30th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I used to have clear skin on my back and chest until I started using coconut oil. My hair loves it, but my skin hates it and I break out badly the day after I soak my hair in it. I recently changed to a conditioner that also has coconut oil in it, and I've been having mini break outs ever since.

Natalia
December 30th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Not sure if conditioner would be aggrivating your issue but i know i get itchy after a few washes if i dont re-wash the back of my neck once im done with my hair. As far as the backne is concerned i put in another vote for ACV rinses. They helped me with some spots under my arms and on my rear :o so maybe they could be of use to you. If that doesnt help maybe try adding some tea tree oil to whatever lotion you use and spread some of that on at bedtime. Hope you find a solution :)

Natalia

Aditi
December 30th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I doubt its from conditioner as well. I get backne only in summer because i sweat a lot and its hard to reach there while taking bath and long hair adds more to the problem.

Liss
January 2nd, 2010, 06:26 AM
I've been following some of the advice here for the past few days and already I'm noticing a difference. I've started to think that the conditioner hasn't been the cause of the problems, but it certainly has aggrivated it a lot.

Rinsing the conditioner out of my hair with my face down has helped, and the ACV rinse is also working mini miracles on both my hair and the skin on my back. I can now feel the skin a lot smoother with fewer bumps and blackheads, it also has a less greasy feeling.

I have also noticed that a lot of the bumps are aroun the bra stap line, which makes me think of synthetic materials and the sweating it causes.

Thanks to all of you here, I'm pretty confident this summer I won't be feeling shy about my back. As for the discolouration from the scarring, I have no idea about solutions. My mother suggested that a tan solves all problems, but I'm pretty sure there's a better answer out there.

klcqtee
January 4th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Liss: I have scars on my chest and back from bacne (and chestne?). They aren't all that noticeable. I've noticed a little bit of coconut oil has helped them to be less noticeable. The discolouration has been minimized, but they're still raised bumps. I hear Sunflower oil (or maybe it was safflower oil?) is really good for the skin and helps heal scars. I used coconut since that's what I had on hand. I just rub a little on and massage in one or two times a day (if I remember).

jaine
January 4th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I know from trial and error that certain ingredients can trigger acne on me, not just in conditioner but also in shampoo (sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, & coco betaine trigger it for me so I avoid them). And refined sugar in my food is a huge trigger for me, probably the biggest one of all. But everyone is different. You need some trial and error and there might be multiple triggers in your products and/or in your diet ... not just conditioner.

Sammich
January 5th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I love the term backne! XD Haha... :D
Well, I don't really have any helpful advice except to give that tidbit... I have backne on my back too, to be expected of course. :p

melikai
January 5th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Just chiming in with the others who have said that conditioners with silicones are what gave me bacne. Neutrogena Clean and Clear Body Wash helped, but it didn't completely go away until after I gave up using cones.

Come to think of it, I used to have some KP on my arms that has completely gone away since then as well.... :ponder:

manderly
January 5th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I don't get backne, but I get little heat-rashy itchy bumps which is really really similar.

I do as others have mentioned, once I rinse the conditioner out, I clip my hair up with whatever cheap clip I have in my shower and use this http://www.amazon.com/Salux-Beauty-Skin-Cloth-Assorted/dp/B0002F1TQM and my bodywash to scrub my back.

Same goes with applying product to my hair, as a curly, it involves lots of product being scrunched into really wet hair. This isn't a problem because I put my fluffy bathrobe on prior to doing this, which keeps my hair and product goo off my naked back. I tend to keep my robe on for a bit which helps soak excess water from my hair too :)

lilalong
January 5th, 2010, 04:19 AM
It might be coincidence, but for me as well my backne has disappeared since I stopped using cones.

Liss
January 14th, 2010, 10:58 AM
It might be coincidence, but for me as well my backne has disappeared since I stopped using cones.

Cones might have been an issue for me since I can't handle the bird's nest tangles that I get without them.

I'm really noticing a difference, slowly but surely, by rinsing my hair forward rather than down my back.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and help!

Harriet
January 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I've started rinsing my hair differently thanks to you guys! I'm hoping this'll help as I have this problem too.. i'll let you know if I see an improvement.

Liss
April 4th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I've started using cones again after a couple of months without them. Guess what's coming back... that's right, backne.

I got lazy when I went cone free and continued rinsing the conditioner out of my hair straight down my back. My back was pretty much spot free, but now after only a couple of days with cone filled conditioner, it's coming back.

caribou55313
April 4th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I had the same problem with cone conditioners, and it mostly went away with cone-free.

TXbarbie
April 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I spent a lot of time with spots on my back, which is horrid and easy to forget about when they can't be seen... until the summer comes... eeek.

Someone mentioned to me that it could be from the conditioner running down my back since I rinse it out after I've finished washing.

I tried washing my back last, but my old habits usually make me forget, so I haven't been able to tell if it's a solution or not.

Does anyone else think the conditioner would cause this? I've tried all sorts of brands over the years and always end up with the spots.

I have very sensitive skin, too - my chest AND my back occasionally break out if I use a heavy conditioner. After I'm done washing my hair and rinsing it out, I put it up in a jaw clip and I rub my facial cleanser (Clinique for combo skin) on my chest and shoulders - wherever the conditioner might have gotten clogged in pores, etc. Kinda like a top-only body wash and rinse that off, too.

I haven't had issues since then :)