PDA

View Full Version : Blowdrying vs. flat ironing

WhitsEnd
December 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I was just wondering what everyone thinks..what do you think is more damaging to your hair blowdrying or flat ironing. I am having a hard time giving up both.

GlassEyes
December 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM
It depends on how close you hold the blowdryer, but generally, I'd assume flat-ironing is, because it's direct heat contact.

However, blowdrying also results in mechanical damage from a brush at times, so that's a factor as well.

bumblebums
December 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Flat ironing is more damaging, hands down. Speaking from experience here. Flat ironing was devastating for my hair; it started breaking off in my hands. I blow-dryed for years and it was never as bad. And before everyone starts questioning my equipment choices, both my hair dryer and flat iron are very good quality. (And both have since been kicked to the curb.)

jaine
December 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I am interested in this too ... I usually blow-dry with the warm setting and 8 inches away from my head so that it feels no hotter than a warm summer breeze ... I would be surprised if that causes damage but my hair is really too short to tell for sure.

Juneii
December 28th, 2009, 06:54 PM
flat ironing, you're sandwiching your hair between two hot plates as opposed to blowing it with warm air.

klcqtee
December 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I say the flat ironing is worse. It crushes, melts, and burns the hair flat. I feel that blow frying isn't as bad because the temperature is lower, and it's not direct. I had a cheap flat iron that ranged from 150-300 degrees (F). That's really hot! I'd burn myself just touching the cover of the iron, imagine what it does to your hair, directly on the plates! My blow fryer, even on the warmest setting, didn't burn my hand, and also didn't make my hair so hot that it hurt when it fell across my face.

Plus, Blow frying can be set to a "cool" setting, and then it can still be straightened (with a brush), with less (or maybe no) heat damage. I also feel that mechanical damage is easier to minimize and deal with than heat damage.

shockinglength
December 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Flat ironing is much more damaging.

Shermie Girl
December 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Definitely flat ironing. Imagine clamping two 400 degree plates on your hair and forcing them to slide down the length and doing that over and over and over again. There is going to be some serious damage in a relatively short amount of time.

Blow drying can be hard on your hair but not as devastating as flat ironing. When I blow dry, I make sure to use low or medium heat, no warmer than what is comfortable on my face. I figure if it doesn't burn my skin, it shouldn't hurt my hair much. I use low or medium fan speed, hold the dryer out a ways and rather than using a brush which can stretch and break delicate wet hair, I use my fingers and a wide tooth comb to gently comb and remove tangles as I dry. I use a big oval brush to polish, when my hair is nearly all dry and finish with the cold shot button.

teela1978
December 28th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Flat iron. Hands down. At least on my hair, and the way I used to blowdry and flat-iron.

spidermom
December 28th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Flat ironing has the potential to do more damage, I'm sure of it. However, there are more damaging and less damaging ways to do it. If you use a heat-protective spray and pass the iron down each section of hair only once and relatively rapidly, the heat won't be in one place long enough to burn your hair. Don't repeat very often.

Ursula
December 28th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Flat ironing.

Try it against your hand. (Don't. Just imagine.)

If you blow the hairdryer against your hand, it is warm and becomes uncomfortably hot fairly quickly.

If you hold the preheated flat iron against your hand, it burns. And it burns very quickly - quicker than the amount of time it is against your hair.

Never mind your hair. As far as I can see, flat irons don't belong close to skin at all, and there is no way to use them on your hair without putting them closer to your hair than I'm comfortable with. (Mind you, I'm chicken about risking pain unnecessarily.)

ericthegreat
December 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM
It really depends on many factors. However, in general blow-outs are less damaging heat style wise than flat ironing.

Glasseyes is right about mechanical damage from a round brush however. Yes, the heat from a blower is much lower than the heat of a flat iron. However, if you are blow-styling your hair with a round brush, you are definitely tearing at your hair cuticles as you roll the brush over each and every section of your hair. However, if you are just drying your hair and not blowing it out into a style, and you dry your hair on a cool or just a warm setting, then yes it is much less damaging than using a flat iron.

A flat iron needs to be at least 180 degrees F in order to effectively physically straighten ANY hair type. Finer hair types only require 180 to 200 degrees F. Medium textured hair types can require anywhere between 200 to 250 degrees F. And depending on the level of coarseness, coarse hair can require anywhere between 300 to up to 450 degrees F. Mildly coarse hair would require 300 F, medium coarse hair 350 F, and super thick coarse hair can require between 400 to 450 degrees. Normally, anything above 400 degrees is cautioned against for obvious reasons of course!

Syaoransbear
December 28th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Flat ironing is definitely far more damaging. The blow dryer does not hurt you when it blows on your skin(unless you're doing it wrong), however a flatiron can leave a burn on your skin even on the lowest of settings and even if it's just briefly on your skin. What's bad for your skin is bad for your hair.

ButterCup02
December 28th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Flat ironing really hurt my hair! I'm glad I kicked that habbit. I was doing it every second day for a few years! Eeek!

Now I still blow dry my hair once in a while, but I wait until it's just damp and then use cool air to dry it with.

Buddaphlyy
December 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Depend on the hair IMO. For me, blow drying is more damaging because it takes more time and more heat to get my hair dry or straight. With a flat iron, I can airdry first and make a quick pass on medium heat to get the results I want.

ericthegreat
December 28th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Depend on the hair IMO. For me, blow drying is more damaging because it takes more time and more heat to get my hair dry or straight. With a flat iron, I can airdry first and make a quick pass on medium heat to get the results I want.

Yes. Yes exactly and this is why I myself said it really depends on many different factors, and hair type is one of those factors.

Buddaphlyy, I'm sure you've seen those late night Maxi-Glide commercials, you know the one where they use a super steaming hot iron to transform someone with 4c type hair into someone with 1a type hair with just one slow pass off the iron?

Buddaphlyy
December 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Yes. Yes exactly and this is why I myself said it really depends on many different factors, and hair type is one of those factors.

Buddaphlyy, I'm sure you've seen those late night Maxi-Glide commercials, you know the one where they use a super steaming hot iron to transform someone with 4c type hair into someone with 1a type hair with just one slow pass off the iron?

Yeah, I've seen them. In my area, they come on right after infomercials from WEN. So it's like first you see how beautiful your hair can be with the fantabulous conditioner. Then you see how to flame it up with a steaming iron with pins in it. The MaxiGlide flat iron really scares me... a lot.

Sweetness
December 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Flat iron... unfortunately because I love my hair when straiten so much :(

Stopped both iron and blowdrying ... and I know it's hard :rolleyes: ... good luck !

curlylocks85
December 29th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Personally, for me, both were damaging. I mostly used my flat iron. The blow dryer was for when I went to my salon visits. It was hard for me to give up my flat iron only because before when I tried I was not ready. You will know when the right time is because it will be like an epiphany (well, it was like that for me anyway), I just suddenly decided it did not need it or want it anymore, and I stopped using it, which was 2 to 3 months ago.

If you are having a hard time, deciding you could try it out as an experiment. Say you flat iron everyday you could flat iron every other day so you can see what your hair looks, like, and how it behaves. Then slowly increase the days you do not flat iron or blow dry.

Good Luck!

rach
December 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
both, i had to air dry and find other methods if i wanted a change.
I feel so negative towards them now because they destroyed my hair so much i had to break the cycle.
now because i've kept away from them my hair is much more tamer for it.....

Laylah
December 29th, 2009, 05:16 PM
It depends, but almost always it would be a flat iron. 400°F is more than it takes to bake a pizza.

Sweetness
December 29th, 2009, 05:17 PM
It depends, but almost always it would be a flat iron. 400°F is more than it takes to bake a pizza.

Said this way, it is a bit scary !

Gypsy
December 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Mmmm.. Pizza....

ericthegreat
December 31st, 2009, 04:42 AM
Mmmm.. Pizza....

Mmmmm....deep fried hair.......:D

rach
December 31st, 2009, 07:29 AM
Mmmmm....deep fried hair.......:D

is that with cheese sir ? :lol: (sorry couldn't help myself)

Princess J
December 31st, 2009, 02:16 PM
I can't understand how some people use hair irons everyday and still even have hair! One of my good friends does this, and she can never get her hair length past her shoulders because she keeps getting split and very dry ends.

I never ever use a hair iron, and I hardly blow dry. I think I have used my hairdryer about 8 times in 2009, only because I was in a rush. I prefer to let my hair dry naturally.

I feel that to keep my hair in good condition at long length, I would rather avoid heat styling and dyeing/bleaching.

ericthegreat
December 31st, 2009, 04:16 PM
is that with cheese sir ? :lol: (sorry couldn't help myself)

I was actually thinking of high grade, pure virgin hair seasoned with 11 secret herbs and spices, breaded and deep fried in coconut oil :D until the outside is nice and crispy. :thumbsup: