PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I need to clarify. Question.

coscass
December 28th, 2009, 02:12 PM
So, I just sprinkle some BS into some condish? And this is only used for my scalp, right? About how much BS? It won't mess up my hair colour, will it? Because I colour my hair.

Carolyn
December 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't call what you are describing as clarifying. Clarifying is done by using a commercial clarifying shampoo or by adding baking soda to a regular shampoo. It's not usually just the scalp that needs to be cleansed. The length will often need a good de-gunking and that's what clarifying does. It's also a good idea to do a nice heavy moisturizing conditioner after a clarifying. Clarifying strips the moisture out of the hair and needs to be replaced.

girlcat36
December 28th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Try rinsing your hair with a BS/water mix.
I use about 1 tsp for 20 oz water.
I think BS is too harsh to put directly on your hair, but I frequently clarify with a diluted BS mix.
Be sure to ACV rinse at the end, after using a moisturizing conditioner!
Good luck.

coscass
December 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't call what you are describing as clarifying. Clarifying is done by using a commercial clarifying shampoo or by adding baking soda to a regular shampoo. It's not usually just the scalp that needs to be cleansed. The length will often need a good de-gunking and that's what clarifying does. It's also a good idea to do a nice heavy moisturizing conditioner after a clarifying. Clarifying strips the moisture out of the hair and needs to be replaced.

Does it have to be shampoo? Because I'm strictly CO and don't want to use shampoo. And I was told to do this by people on here; adding some BS into conditioner. I just wanna make sure so I don't ruin my hair.

girlcat36
December 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Does it have to be shampoo? Because I'm strictly CO and don't want to use shampoo. And I was told to do this by people on here; adding some BS into conditioner. I just wanna make sure so I don't ruin my hair.
No. You can rinse with baking soda then go ahead and do your CO routine.

Ursula
December 28th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Shampoo, once, is not likely to ruin your hair, particularly if you've used it in the past, and don't have problems like an allergy to the detergents.

I mostly CO, and I use shampoo to clarify. I look for a shampoo with a short ingredient list, and one that has ALS as the primary detergent, as it both cleanses thoroughly and rinses cleanly and easily. TreSemme Vit C was my standard for quite a while (I'm currently out of it, and using some other shampoo that was left behind by my last roommate. I'll probably go back to the TreSemme, as it worked very well for that purpose.)

coscass
December 28th, 2009, 02:41 PM
No. You can rinse with baking soda then go ahead and do your CO routine.
Okay, thanks!

Carolyn
December 28th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Go ahead and try the BS rinse as girlcat36 suggests. It can't hurt. If it doesn't get rid of your gunkiness then go to a clarifying poo. I color and use shampoo on an as needed basis. I don't have a bit of trouble.

coscass
December 28th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Okay, I got in, wet my hair, scrubbed my scalp a bit then did the BS rinse.
Then I put my conditioner in the ends, rinsed, then rinsed again with the ACV.
Then I got out and blotted, and put some extra condish in.

Did I do it right? I guess I'll find out later.

girlcat36
December 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Okay, I got in, wet my hair, scrubbed my scalp a bit then did the BS rinse.
Then I put my conditioner in the ends, rinsed, then rinsed again with the ACV.
Then I got out and blotted, and put some extra condish in.

Did I do it right? I guess I'll find out later.

Sounds about right!

Finoriel
December 28th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I actually think good ole sulphate shampoo is less likely to harm hair than baking soda and some non-coating ones can be used for clarifying effectively.
Though the evils of BS will most likely just get really prominent at longer lengths with ´old as the hills tips´ :wink:.

Madame J
December 28th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I would also recommend a sulfate/sulphate shampoo over baking soda. Granted, I used it regularly, 2-3 times a week for six months, but baking soda washes did eventually pull all the pigment out of my dyed hair. So it can't be good for it. Even though I had dyed my hair it's natural color, there was a clear line of demarcation where the faded old stuff met new growth.

coscass
December 28th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Sooo... I should be using shampoo then. Well, can I use a sulfate free one? If so, can anyone name any brands I should pick up? I don't actually have anymore here, my mom makes her own, and I don't think that would work.

manderly
December 28th, 2009, 04:31 PM
You don't seem to be grasping the purpose of clarifying. Either a good SLS shampoo or BS is generally used. You need these in order to strip off whatever is coating/adhering to your hair causing your problems (crunchiness in your case).

When you CO for very long with or without product, many people find it beneficial to toss in a regular old shampoo once and a while. BS can also be used, but some do find it to be a bit harsher. It works by chemically raising the scales of your hair and removing buildup. The raised scales can be reversed with a vinegar rinse. I don't find BS rinses to be very beneficial, as I feel that light mechanical massaging assists in the removal of buildup.

In your case, since you prefer to remain CO, that is why I suggested you simply sprinkle a bit of BS onto your blob of condish prior to use. Approximately a tsp or so is sufficient. You could also use any regular SLS poo, such as Suave or VO5 in its place.

But you didn't seem to want to believe what I told you.....so good luck. :flower:

coscass
December 28th, 2009, 04:38 PM
You don't seem to be grasping the purpose of clarifying. Either a good SLS shampoo or BS is generally used. You need these in order to strip off whatever is coating/adhering to your hair causing your problems (crunchiness in your case).

When you CO for very long with or without product, many people find it beneficial to toss in a regular old shampoo once and a while. BS can also be used, but some do find it to be a bit harsher. It works by chemically raising the scales of your hair and removing buildup. The raised scales can be reversed with a vinegar rinse. I don't find BS rinses to be very beneficial, as I feel that light mechanical massaging assists in the removal of buildup.

In your case, since you prefer to remain CO, that is why I suggested you simply sprinkle a bit of BS onto your blob of condish prior to use. Approximately a tsp or so is sufficient. You could also use any regular SLS poo, such as Suave or VO5 in its place.

But you didn't seem to want to believe what I told you.....so good luck. :flower:
That isn't the case at all, so please don't turn this into one of those situations, especially since my opening post mentions the BS in condish like you told me. You said one thing, others said another. I changed my mind, and there's nothing wrong with that. I grasp the concept of clarifying perfectly well, I just want to find out what works best for me. Not everyone likes BS, and some people swear by it, not everyone likes using shampoos, and some people use them every other wash.

Anyway, yeah. Not trying to step on anyone's toes here or anything.

Sissy
December 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Sooo... I should be using shampoo then. Well, can I use a sulfate free one? If so, can anyone name any brands I should pick up? I don't actually have anymore here, my mom makes her own, and I don't think that would work.

well, CV shampoo bars are sulphate free and make my hair feel nice so long as I follow up with an ACV rinse.

Sulfate free shampoos I like are Giovanni TTTT shampoo, JASON Biotin Shampoo and Queen Helene Mint Julep Concentrated Shampoo. Aubrey Organic line of shampoos are also SLS free but are soap based and may be drying.

As far as if the above SLS shampoos will work for clarifying I'm not so sure. For me personally, when my hair really needs a clarifying the non-sls shampoos won't do the trick, I resort to Suave Shampoo or even Pantene Clarifying Shampoo.

Sissy
December 28th, 2009, 04:45 PM
That isn't the case at all, so please don't turn this into one of those situations, especially since my opening post mentions the BS in condish like you told me. You said one thing, others said another. I changed my mind, and there's nothing wrong with that. I grasp the concept of clarifying perfectly well, I just want to find out what works best for me. Not everyone likes BS, and some people swear by it, not everyone likes using shampoos, and some people use them every other wash.

Anyway, yeah.

why not just try the baking soda... then if it doesn't work try a cheapie shampoo like Suave? I thought the baking soda with conditioner was a neat idea, I read that on the other thread earlier. I was tempted to try it myself on my scalp.

manderly
December 28th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Anyway, yeah.

Exactly, that's why you get a lot of different answers. It's really for you to try out and decide what you prefer. If you are a cone-free co-er with little to no product use, a regular cheapo shampoo is probably more than enough for you to rid yourself of crunchy/dry ends if you are actually experiencing a product buildup.

BS may be more for people who do use poo on more of a regular basis and may use more cones and products. That being said, it works in a pinch if you don't have any shampoo laying around the house. When I use it, I just sprinkle a tiny bit on top of the glob of poo or conditioner I am about to put in my hair.

I don't really think one is better than the other, I get the same results from both, and my hair feels equally as dry for a day or two after. I use them in an alternating fashion whenever I feel like it, to me they are about equal. I would try them both (over time, of course) and gauge your likes and needs accordingly.

Again, if you don't have any shampoo because you don't use it, a sprinkle in your normal co is sufficient. If you've got some regular cone-free poo, use that for a wash. When I co'd, I would BS or poo every month or so.

coscass
December 28th, 2009, 04:49 PM
why not just try the baking soda... then if it doesn't work try a cheapie shampoo like Suave? I thought the baking soda with conditioner was a neat idea, I read that on the other thread earlier. I was tempted to try it myself on my scalp.
I ended up trying the BS lol, but I only did a BS+Water rinse. Next time I use it I'm going to try it in the condish like she suggested. Then if I still don't like it, or am afraid of my colour fading, I'll try a cheapie shampoo.

manderly
December 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I ended up trying the BS lol, but I only did a BS+Water rinse. Next time I use it I'm going to try it in the condish like she suggested. Then if I still don't like it, or am afraid of my colour fading, I'll try a cheapie shampoo.

A very sound plan. :)

Ursula
December 28th, 2009, 06:02 PM
You say your mother makes her own shampoo. What is in it, and why do you think it won't work?

One question that often gets overlooked with clarifying is "What do you want to remove from your hair?"

People don't clarify because the word sounds funny.

You clarify because you have reason to believe that your routine wash method has allowed some type of substance to accumulate in your hair, and that substance is causing you problems, so you want to remove it.

In my experience, most ordinary sulfate shampoos are designed to remove a wide variety of things efficiently, and they are often the most convenient way to clarify, particularly if you aren't certain exactly what is in your hair that is causing you problems. This is particularly true if you CO wash, since CO washing is good for removing oils, but doesn't always pick up everything.

Baking soda works for some people, and some types of buildup. I haven't been able to pin down the variables about when baking soda will or won't be effective, and I find it is easier on the hair to clarify once with a shampoo than to try over and over with various "gentle" methods, which combine to be harsh when used one after the other.

The exception would be if you have hard water buildup in your hair. In that case, you need to do a specific type of clarifying called "chelating." To chelate, you need a product designed for that purpose. Nexxus Aloe Rid Treatment was one, but they seem to have discontinued the treatment by that name, and only make the conditioner these days. There are other specialty products which you can find at Sally's or other professional supply stores.

coscass
December 28th, 2009, 06:17 PM
You say your mother makes her own shampoo. What is in it, and why do you think it won't work?

One question that often gets overlooked with clarifying is "What do you want to remove from your hair?"

People don't clarify because the word sounds funny.

You clarify because you have reason to believe that your routine wash method has allowed some type of substance to accumulate in your hair, and that substance is causing you problems, so you want to remove it.

In my experience, most ordinary sulfate shampoos are designed to remove a wide variety of things efficiently, and they are often the most convenient way to clarify, particularly if you aren't certain exactly what is in your hair that is causing you problems. This is particularly true if you CO wash, since CO washing is good for removing oils, but doesn't always pick up everything.

Baking soda works for some people, and some types of buildup. I haven't been able to pin down the variables about when baking soda will or won't be effective, and I find it is easier on the hair to clarify once with a shampoo than to try over and over with various "gentle" methods, which combine to be harsh when used one after the other.

The exception would be if you have hard water buildup in your hair. In that case, you need to do a specific type of clarifying called "chelating." To chelate, you need a product designed for that purpose. Nexxus Aloe Rid Treatment was one, but they seem to have discontinued the treatment by that name, and only make the conditioner these days. There are other specialty products which you can find at Sally's or other professional supply stores.

I don't know, to be honest. It's something like..Castelle's soap, and some glycerin I think? I'm not 100% sure, I'd have to ask her.

And that could be it, hard water build up. I never even thought of that. The reason I decided to try it was because my hair suddenly felt gunky, product-y, like it had a film over it. I've only been CO for a little over 2 weeks now, and it's worked perfect for me up until recently. I've made sure to scrub my scalp, but still, I get the film. And I'm using suave, with no after products, so it's not 'cones.

I'm going to wait until my hair dries (it's STILL not dry! boy do I miss my blow dryer) and see if it feels any better.

Carolyn
December 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I'm mostly CO too. Twice a month usage of a shampoo is not excessive.

Ursula
December 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM
If it's castile soap, your mother's shampoo may work, although you'd want to follow it with an acidic rinse (such as an ACV rinse) to neutralize the pH of the soap.