PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow!

Auntbeast
December 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I joined here when I decided to see just how long my hair would grow. Well, lack of internet access and a move to another state/climate/world, I haven't been here. However, I've evidently been growing lots of hair.

I just measured my hair again since when I first joined (My avatar pic) and Holy Cow! I've grown 8 inches! I knew my hair was longer than it has ever been, but just, wow.

I've been suffering climate change and have a huge problem with highly acidic water and dry, dry hair. I've been trying to stay on top of split ends, but well, with the acute dryness, it is a losing battle, but I'm hesitant to get a trim from another human because I am certain they would hack way more than necessary.

My avatar pic will probably be updated as soon as I wash it again.

I am so very excited. Am I a long hair now?

MrsGuther
December 28th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Congratulations! That is a lot of growth! I totally understand about being hesitant to get a trim from another person. I too am hesitant because the few times I have been to hair salons they have gotten scissor happy and cut off WAY too much of my hair.

klcqtee
December 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Welcome back! You should post some before and after pics so we can ooooh and aaaah over it!

freckles
December 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM
congratulations! I guess it really is when we're not looking that our hair grows the most :)

practikalmagik
December 28th, 2009, 11:17 AM
wow that IS a lot of growth, if you are able to it would be wonderful to see a before and after shot.

If you are scared of hairdressers getting scissor happy you can try Faye's self-trim method. There should be a link in the Important Thread list. I really recommend it :)

Auntbeast
December 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Ok, my avatar was when I started. This is now. I did cheat a bit and oil it before I took the photo, it is just so dry.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4569&pictureid=58732 *tink* *tink* is this pic working?

http://chicksrock.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/30.JPG how about this one?

Ok, so that is it, it is heavily oiled at the bottoms and the wind was blowing, it is actually a bit wider than that.

AbruptlyWanderi
December 28th, 2009, 11:42 AM
It is very pretty hair! I hope that your hair keeps being pretty.

Pear Martini
December 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
wow, where did you move to Georgia? Or is that where you are from?

Auntbeast
December 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I moved from Tampa, FL (7 ft above sea level) to Sky Valley, GA at 3652 ft above sea level. I'm right on the Blue Ridge Divide as well as the Bartram Trail. Turns out my hair liked that constant 98% humidity. Who knew? :)

Looking at that pic, I guess I'm waist length, since those are low-rise jeans. My hair has never been this long before, although typically it has been BSL, it just never went further, so this is very shocking to me.

I also didn't notice how dark my roots are, I guess it misses the Florida sun too. :)

Now to peruse the "I have acidic water that is cooking my hair" threads...if they exist.

Pear Martini
December 28th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I have never been to Tampa but I hear such great things from my Miami friends. Georgia is great too, the people are so friendly. The only part of Georgia I have been to is the Savannah area.

little_acorn
December 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM
:bigeyes: great hair growth :D

bumblebums
December 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Wow, it looks great! So it sounds like 8 inches in 15 months, correct? I think you are officially a longhair!

What oil do you use?

Bellona
December 28th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Your hair is beautiful! Thanks for posting the pictures, as I was having a "my hair is short and I hate it" day, and they gave me a bit of inspiration :)

Auntbeast
December 28th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Bellona,

I cut my hair to chin length after my daughter was born and maintained it for quite a while. She just turned 4. I'm not really that far into this when you think about it. I'm actually reading a thread called "collection of LHC Length Photos" and there are all different lengths there. The great news, is you have started with a lot more knowledge than a lot of us did. When your hair gets officially "long," it will be much healthier than mine, I would bet money on it.

I use coconut oil, but I'm not convinced it is helping. I'm experiencing weirdness with my hair that I have never had to deal with. It gets like straw. Very stiff, dry and weird. I typically go bonkers all over it with oil, infusium23, conditioners from hair colors, basically, ANYTHING to try to help my poor hair.

I am on a 900ft well and while my water tests absolutely perfect as far as virtually everything, the rock here is granite and does not have any buffering qualities so our pH is 5, which is highly acidic. It eats pipes like mad and, evidently, my hair. I'm washing it less, much less than I used to, just to keep it away from the water.

Liss
December 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Wonderful growth!

Was your hair chemically lightened previously, or is it entirely from the climate change?

Auntbeast
December 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
If I am in the sun for 10 minutes, it lightens my hair. I'll get blonde and red all over the place. While my hair is mostly dark brown at the roots, it rarely stays that way. I have pale skin and freckles, I think my hair really wants to be red.

Liss
December 28th, 2009, 03:06 PM
It really shows how much the sun can affect people's hair!

Dvips
December 28th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Quite a lot of growth, AuntLonghair! ;)

Might you be able to try a water filter for your shower?

Gvnagitlvgei
December 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Changing water can definitely make the hair dry and unmanageable. Have you tried a shower filter? You might wish to consider an oiling before washing, if you don't already do it. BTW, your hair is beautiful!!!

jojo
December 28th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Beautiful growth and yes you are officially a long hair!

klcqtee
December 29th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Wow that's a ton of length!

Auntbeast
December 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM
As my old saying goes, "All I can do is run my mouth and grow hair."

I'm so jazzed by how much it grew while I wasn't paying attention, I've spent two days reading here and learning to make hair toys. I told my husband, "You want me to have long hair, then make it possible for me to have yummy toys."

I have the dremel, all the bits, a sack full of sandpaper and 3 rasps. :) Wheee!

Juanita
December 29th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Try Shea Butter on your dry ends. I do this when my ends feel crunchy because our climate ranges from super dry to super wet. We also have heavy limestone country around here. I put it on before bed and find it absorbed by morning or if I have been extra heavy I just comb and put up. your hair is looking very pretty.

joyful373
December 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Wow! That is some growth! Congratulations on the progress, and the learning about hair toys too!

curlylocks85
December 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Congrats, way to grow!

Xandergrammy
December 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Congratulations on your fantastic growth!!! I believe you were a long hair as soon as you decided to grow your hair! :flowers:

GoddesJourney
December 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Wow. And, yes, you are a long hair!