PDA

View Full Version : Hair feels coated and greasy

Tornerose
December 28th, 2009, 06:21 AM
In my quest for more natural hairproducts I've now gone from the SLS-based So Pure-series from Keune to Natures Gate Organics.

But my hair feels weird now. It feels greasy right after washing, leaves a residue on my comb, looks greasy day ater wash, etc...
The positive is that I have WAY less tangles and that the comb just glides through my hair now.

First time I washed it in the bathtub, so I thought maybe I hadn't rinsed it well enough, but the problem persisted when I washed in the shower too. At first I thought hair was just adjusting to the new routine, but it's been every time. Am I doing somethign wrong?

I did clarify before I started this new routine, so it can't be leftover products either.

Is it impossible to get smooth tanglefree hair without lots of grease?

Calista
December 28th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I´m not familiar with the products you mentioned. Are they soap-based? If so, it might be hard-water buildup (calcium). I get the kind of buildup you described when I use a shampoo bar without a rinse. Have you tried doing an acidic rinse such as a vinegar or citric acid rinse?

Dreams_in_Pink
December 28th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I feel for your pain!! I washed my hair yesterday and now it feels greasy! I'll def be following this thread!

Kirzja
December 28th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I had the same problem when I started washing with all-natural shampoo.
Right after washing it was dirty, greasy, it felt coated.
It seemed to be dirtier afterwards than prior to washing. :(
It got worse every time I washed.
So I gave up and went back to my regular shampoo...

But if there is a solution for this, I would love to know because I definately prefer all-natural products on my hair.

Tornerose
December 28th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Iīm not familiar with the products you mentioned. Are they soap-based? If so, it might be hard-water buildup (calcium). I get the kind of buildup you described when I use a shampoo bar without a rinse. Have you tried doing an acidic rinse such as a vinegar or citric acid rinse?

I don't think it's due to hard water, we're supposed to have medium-soft water here.
The ingredients are listed in the review-section here. Shampoo (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/237/cat/2)& Conditioner (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/238/cat/3).
I have not tried acid rinse, but I will try that on next wash day..

I had the same problem when I started washing with all-natural shampoo.
Right after washing it was dirty, greasy, it felt coated.
It seemed to be dirtier afterwards than prior to washing. :(
It got worse every time I washed.
So I gave up and went back to my regular shampoo...

But if there is a solution for this, I would love to know because I definately prefer all-natural products on my hair.
Yeah I'm about to give up too. I had the same problem with shampoo bars. The lady wo sold it to me said it took a few times, so I walked around with greasy hair for months waiting for the results. After I started here I learned that acid rinses should have been put to use though, but ohwell.

flutterbudget
December 28th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I had a similar feeling when I switched to a SLS-free skin care product a while back. In that case I thought it might have been one of the oils in the product, but maybe it was just because I wasn't used to life without SLS.

cleanbug
December 28th, 2009, 10:54 AM
try giovanni tea tree triple treat shampoo & conditioner. here's a link to a review on it. i am using it & love it! definitly no greasies here. its very cleansing but the conditioner is great. it is sls free & all natural.
http://evolvingwellness.com/posts/544/review-giovanni-tea-tree-triple-treat-shampoo/
all the best,

Calista
December 28th, 2009, 12:30 PM
tornerose, I noticed from the links that both shampoo and conditioner contain a polyquat, though somewhat low in the ingredients´ list, plus I´m not sure if this one´s water soluble or not. Some polyquats are, some aren´t. Maybe this is the problem?

I also have moerately hard water, even leaning towards the soft side, yet I still have to use a vinegar rinse after every shampoo bar wash. But it seems your shampoo is not soap based, so I don´t know if an acid rinse will help you. Can´t hurt to try, though.

Hiriel
December 28th, 2009, 01:49 PM
It sounds similar to the transition phase to WO, and could be from cutting out SLS, I suppose? When I transitioned to WO, I had to wash once with SLS after about 4 weeks just to remove the gunk, but the oil production calmed down quickly.

Tornerose
December 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM
tornerose, I noticed from the links that both shampoo and conditioner contain a polyquat, though somewhat low in the ingredientsī list, plus Iīm not sure if this oneīs water soluble or not. Some polyquats are, some arenīt. Maybe this is the problem?

I also have moerately hard water, even leaning towards the soft side, yet I still have to use a vinegar rinse after every shampoo bar wash. But it seems your shampoo is not soap based, so I donīt know if an acid rinse will help you. Canīt hurt to try, though.
Hmm yeah maybe. I was dissapointed after I bought it, because I thought it was more natural than it turned out to be, but I figured it'd be a step up the natural ladder from the Keune-products.

Yeah I'll try an acid rinse and see if it helps, if not I guess it's back to the chemicals :(

It sounds similar to the transition phase to WO, and could be from cutting out SLS, I suppose? When I transitioned to WO, I had to wash once with SLS after about 4 weeks just to remove the gunk, but the oil production calmed down quickly.

Yeah I think it's just transition too, but I think it's been a while now, so I'm not sure how long I will allow it to transition. SLS and cones beats greasy-feeling hair any day.

spidermom
December 29th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Puzzling. Natures Gate products are what I use most often. I dilute the shampoo and it still cleans my hair very well. I'm using Herbal Essence products right now just because they were super on sale and smell great, and I really can't tell a difference, except that the conditioner is thicker. I know this isn't helpful, sorry.

Tornerose
December 29th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Puzzling. Natures Gate products are what I use most often. I dilute the shampoo and it still cleans my hair very well. I'm using Herbal Essence products right now just because they were super on sale and smell great, and I really can't tell a difference, except that the conditioner is thicker. I know this isn't helpful, sorry.

Hmm.... Maybe I should try diluting them, or try each separately and see if it's the shampoo or conditoner causing the problem...

Wow I'm giving this alot of goodwill now lol.
(separate, dilute, acid rinse and any variation of the beforementioned )

Calista
December 30th, 2009, 02:48 AM
And to add to your list, I would clarify again to start with a clean slate, so to speak. I use baking soda to clarify, it works great.

Tornerose
January 1st, 2010, 10:09 PM
Not to revive a dead thread or anything, but I thought maybe a visual would help. It doesn't just feel greasy, it looks greasy too.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3053&pictureid=59061

It's not supposed to look like this is it?
Granted my hair is dry, and I'm not all that used to moistured hair, but this is beyond well moistured, this is plain grease :(

motormuffin
January 1st, 2010, 11:20 PM
Maybe try just the shampoo or just the conditioner to help figure which one is doing it. Maybe clarify and then use the condish to see what happens. Then at least you can narrow it down.

GoddesJourney
January 1st, 2010, 11:41 PM
Maybe you should just try a different natural product. Certain products just don't agree with certain people's hair/scalp. That's fine. I've tried some products that other people swear by and I just get the weirdest results. If you have the same problem with another product, then you can be genuinely confused.

Tornerose
January 2nd, 2010, 11:54 PM
Maybe try just the shampoo or just the conditioner to help figure which one is doing it. Maybe clarify and then use the condish to see what happens. Then at least you can narrow it down.
Yeah I'll add it to the list... clarify,. shampoo, condition, then one or other + acid rinse and finally both with acid rinse. THEN repeat with dilutet products. By that time the bottles will probably be empty so I don't have to worry about it anymore :lol:

Maybe you should just try a different natural product. Certain products just don't agree with certain people's hair/scalp. That's fine. I've tried some products that other people swear by and I just get the weirdest results. If you have the same problem with another product, then you can be genuinely confused.
Yeah, the problem is finding them around here. With customs fees etc, shopping online isn't really worth it for me.
So I was so happy when I found theese in an ayurvedic shop in Sweden.

GingerBoy'sMom
January 3rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Since you have some wave to your hair, you might want to try Deva Curl hair products. I use them and I love them dearly.
The scalp cleanser is called No Poo (they also have one called Low Poo) and I only use it once a week. I water wash otherwise.
The conditioner is called One Condition and it is divine!
I went through a difficult transition too. I know it is not fun.
Stick with it and eventually, your scalp will adjust.

Tornerose
January 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestion GingerBoys'sMom. I'll see if I canget it here in Scandinavia somewhere.

But the problems here aren't really scalp-related think. My scalp usually feels pretty dry, and it does now too. I even had dandruff :O
The sebum woudln't have had time to make all my lenght greasy by aidrying overnight, would it? with SLS I can usually go a whole week before it starts looking greasy.

Wanderer09
January 4th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I've been having the same problem lately and it's driving me nuts. I wash once a week and use a Head&Shoulders shampoo (because it's the only thing that doesn't make my scalp freak out). For a while it worked great. My hair only started looking dirty around the 4th day after I washed it and then I could just put it up. Now, I only washed it yesterday and I already look like a greaseball. 0_o I'm worried that washing more often will just make it worse.

What I'm wondering is whether diet or hormones could affect how much oil your scalp produces? I know that lately I haven't been eating as I should, so maybe that's why this is happening. Unlike the OP I haven't made any changes in my hair routine lately...

Kirzja
February 11th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Just thought I'd let you know my problem seems to be solved.. :)
I've been experimenting with some different products for a while.
I washed conditioner-only for about 3 weeks (clarifying with SLS once a week or so), and then switched back to the organic shampoo.
No problems now!
So perhaps my hair was not taking the transition from SLS to organic before.

Btw, I live in the Netherlands and I the shampoo I use is called Avalon organics.
Maybe you can buy it where you live?

Tornerose
February 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Kirzja: That's wonderful. I've had to go back t my old shampoo sometimes too, just out of annoyance, but I've also used the conditioner wich might have stopper any progress I could have made.
I kind of want this to work, but it doesn't seem to work well at all. The bottles are alomst empty now anyway, and I don't feel like going to Sweden again to purchase some more.

I've not seen Avalon Organics here in Norway, but if anyone know where to get them in Norway or Sweden, please let me know. I'm willing to try.