PDA

View Full Version : Fond memories from childhood

Beets
December 27th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Growing up, my mom always wore these beautiful hair combs to pull the hair back on either side of her face. She had a lovely collection, and one of my favorite pastimes while she was in her bathroom doing her hair or makeup would be to sit on the floor and admire (maybe even play with!) her combs and barrettes.

The moment is wrapped up with so many other things--quiet time with my mom, finding we liked the same beautiful things, wanting to grow up and be like her--but it is most definitely a fond hair memory.

So tell me, do you have a fond hair memory from childhood? Will you share?

little_acorn
December 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Thats a beautiful memory to have :flower:
Unfortunately, I was always told I had horrible hair as a child and had forced hair cuts :(

Liluri
December 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Our next door neighbour (farming community so not just a few metres away) Had the most beautiful silver hair that was almost always up. I remember the couple of times I saw it down, beautiful long hair on a woman over 30. All of the women in my family had short hair so the neighbours hair made an impression on me.

ItalianFlower
December 27th, 2009, 07:57 PM
My little sister is a type two albino (which is the less severe form) and my mom has always cultivated her hair. Now she's thirteen, down to her butt, long, blond, beautiful in every way basically. My mom always had shortish hair and so did I (chin length). I have another sister who had longish hair but we fought a lot. The little one I always got along with.

During spring break we were going to stay for the week at a cabin, go skiing, that kind of thing. My baby sister tells me before we get in the car, "I'm not going to fall asleep. I'm going to be awake the whole time." Well, like a half hour in she lays down with her head in my lap and I started stroking her hair and she ended up falling asleep and I got to play with her hair for the full trip. I know it sounds dumb but I miss those moments of her when she was young and snuggly. :D She's kind of boyish and despite having this beautiful she HATES when people mess with it, so that was a rare opportunity.

SunshineHair
December 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
There is a little girl who lives close by who is albino! I would always see her and her dad at school events, as she and my daughter went to the same elementary school. I loved to see her, even her eye lashes were white! She is sooo beautiful!!!! I bet your sister is also ItalianFlower!!!

EmpressRi
December 28th, 2009, 01:11 AM
My mother would braid my hair every night and it never failed to put me to sleep. I wouldn't let anyone else do my hair because they were too rough but my mother never hurt my head. One time I fell asleep so fast I asked her if she did my hair and she told me yes, but I told her I didn't remember so I asked her to do it again and she did lol. Some kids hated having their hair done but I looked forward to that every night.

Beets
December 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
ItalianFlower, how sweet! Those rare sister moments are so beautiful.

Liluri, I think it's so interesting how people who are in our lives so briefly can sometimes have such profound effects without even knowing it, just by being themselves.

Empress, my mom always did my hair, too. Because of my sensitive head, she developed a very soft touch, and now she's the only one who can touch my niece's head! Who knew that would be a family skill?!

starlights
December 30th, 2009, 12:50 PM
i remember i used to brush my hair after swimming when i was 6, and my teacher used to tell me to stop being vain, that hair was just dead cells and shouldnt be looked after!

i remember my mum had nice curly wavy hair she used to brush, which was long and lush... i remember shampooing grandma's hair!

i rememeber my bestfriend had hair upto her knees when we were 6 years old which she used to plait, and i used to play with wishing i had long hair like her too (my hair was at neck that time)

it makes me laugh remembering all those hair memories...

guess thats life!

paperwhite
December 30th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I remember my grandmother combing and brushing my long hair when I was a child. She would occasionally catch a tangle, but I know that she was being as careful as possible and never intended to hurt me (she had arthritis, so it probably wasn't easy for her...). For some reason she and my aunt were the only ones that could play with my hair without me minding. When my mother did it, it drove me nuts. I think it's because they did it so casually and briefly and she was so eager and I got bored with it quickly. I don't mind so much now that I'm an adult, she (my mom) has always loved my hair and I don't see any harm in letting her play with it now. I'm a little more tolerant than I was ;)

Little_Bird
December 30th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I've got lots of hair memories :)

The one I talk about the most is when I used to watch my anty blowdrieing her hair. It wasn't very long (maybe close to waist lenght) but her blowdrying looked like a dance. She turned her head upside down and it looked so beautyfull. She always had amazing thick hair.

I also remember a lot (altough this is more recent) seeing a friend of my mom brushing her tailbone (it was classic once, now it's waist, layered) hair. She uses a BBB, and her hair is very smooth and shiny. She also makes it look like a dance.

Other than that, I always liked to play with, draw and see long hair. Ever since my sister has had long hair, and I started growing mine too, long hair is much more than a dream or memory... It's just special :p

Lovely story of yours :flower:

Angela_Rose
December 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
My Aunt Amanda, who is only three years my senior, used to play with my hair. I recall one day in particular- she taught me the lyrics to "Brown Eyed Girl" and we sang that over and over while she played with my (much-longer-than-hers) hair.

jera
December 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Those are beautiful memories, Beets.

My first compliment was a hair compliment. A girl who sat behind me in school daid I had beautiful hair and asked if she could touch it. :)
My grandmother used to brush and braid my hair sometimes when she wasn't working because my mother was always to busy to do it.
My great grandmother had silver gray waist length hair. It was so beautiful to see. She had long hair all her life. She was almost ninety when she passed away.

StrongWall
January 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM
My mom made me get it cut like this:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1007/carre.jpg
hahah, i guess cause it is short and managable

Xandergrammy
January 3rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
I don't have any childhood hair memories (my mother and grandmothers all kept their hair pretty short) but I used to love to watch my mom put on lipstick. It made her look so pretty! :inlove:

sweetestday
January 3rd, 2010, 07:54 PM
My mom always had shiny, long, brown hair that I loved to brush and fill with colorful barretts. More than once, I twisted it up in a brush and made a hair emergency for poor Mom.
I also remember my grandma French braiding my hair so tightly that I couldn't keep the tears back. I never told her how badly it hurt, cause it was special to me that she'd do it. She wasn't typically an affectionate person, so I'm glad to have the memory of her braiding my hair. I'm sure it meant a lot to her, too, as she always wanted a little girl, but only had 3 sons.