PDA

View Full Version : Co and shedding

shockinglength
December 27th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I've prevoiusly used a SLS and cone routine. I've been cone and sls free for about a month now. I used to wash my hair with the CWC method. I switched to CO about 2 weeks ago. I'm shedding like mad right now. What can be causing this?

coscass
December 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I've prevoiusly used a SLS and cone routine. I've been cone and sls free for about a month now. I used to wash my hair with the CWC method. I switched to CO about 2 weeks ago. I'm shedding like mad right now. What can be causing this?
I'm not entirely sure. I know for a fact that if I wear a braid or a bun for a few days, when I shower next my hair sheds like crazy. I tend to shed a lot, anyway. At first, I noticed I was shedding less when I started CO washing, but then after a while it went back to it's regular shedding ratio. Perhaps we aren't getting ENOUGH moisture? I'm not sure.

Stephichan
December 27th, 2009, 04:14 PM
CO doesn't work for everyone. I've read about some other members noticing increased shedding with CO, but I typically see a lot less shedding. Could your scalp be freaking out over all the changes? Do you wear your hair contained often? Have you been under a lot of stress recently or within the past few months? These are some questions that could help.

Ash
December 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Are you using a really cheap conditioner? I believe that is what caused my shedding when I tried CO. You also could have an allergy to something in the conditioner you are using. Perhaps you could try another conditioner? Although I am not fully CO now, (I CWC 2 days of the week) the conditioner I use on CO days is Giovanni 50:50 and this one does not cause me to shed more.

saskia_madding
December 27th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I used to use a cone and sls routine. When I went free of both, I noticed increased shedding. But like A LOT.

Is your scalp any itchier? When I stopped using sls, I discovered a pre-existing scalp condition that sls had been keeping under control. I tried a bunch of different shapoos and finally found something that helped my scalp condition without sls, and the shedding tapered off to normal.

All I'm saying is that if you have something going on with your scalp, you might not be able to go CO.

spidermom
December 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I've seen quite a few people complain of increased shedding with CO. My best guess is that it's a combination of conditioner clogging the pores and/or the increased "scrubbing" required to get hair really clean with CO.

My hair looked so limp that I discontinued CO soon after trying it. I don't remember increased shedding with it.

girlcat36
December 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
CO made me shed alot. It was great for my length, but my scalp couldn't take it.
I have candida on my scalp, so it has to be scrupulously clean. I blame the candida for my chronic shedding, and the CO made it worse.

squidgetroo
December 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM
CO made me shed alot. It was great for my length, but my scalp couldn't take it.
I have candida on my scalp, so it has to be scrupulously clean. I blame the candida for my chronic shedding, and the CO made it worse.

For something like candida, is it possible that using an ACV rinse after CO would help keep that under control? I've used ACV to get rid of a fungal skin rash before with great success, so am just curious if it might work on your scalp as well...

shockinglength
December 27th, 2009, 08:42 PM
CO doesn't work for everyone. I've read about some other members noticing increased shedding with CO, but I typically see a lot less shedding. Could your scalp be freaking out over all the changes? Do you wear your hair contained often? Have you been under a lot of stress recently or within the past few months? These are some questions that could help.

No, I don't often wear my hair contained, and no, I havn't been under stress.

shockinglength
December 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Are you using a really cheap conditioner? I believe that is what caused my shedding when I tried CO. You also could have an allergy to something in the conditioner you are using. Perhaps you could try another conditioner? Although I am not fully CO now, (I CWC 2 days of the week) the conditioner I use on CO days is Giovanni 50:50 and this one does not cause me to shed more.

I'm using the suave naturals coconut conditioner. (That's the conditioner I used with my CWC method) So I don't think I'm alergic to anything in there. Thanks everyone for all the help!

shockinglength
December 28th, 2009, 12:21 PM
OK I'm fine now. I just CO-ed my hair and combed it afterwards and I only lost like 10 hair during that whole process. Weird I don't know what was going on there!

girlcat36
December 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM
For something like candida, is it possible that using an ACV rinse after CO would help keep that under control? I've used ACV to get rid of a fungal skin rash before with great success, so am just curious if it might work on your scalp as well...

I've been using an ACV rinse for 3 years. It helps, but isn't strong enough by itself to eradicate the candida.
I have used monistat, EO scalp massage, and a natural antifungal shampoo as well.
Candida is an ongoing and systemic problem for me due to leaky gut syndrome, and use of antibiotics all my life. :rolleyes:

zuno9
December 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I've been experimenting with yogurt in my diet to control my itchies and I've found that it does help. Funny how you only notice the effect on shedding when you stop eating it ( i.e. during the Christmas period I've been lazy & eaten no yogurt) and my shedding has increased!!!