PDA

View Full Version : Positioning to make hair look longer?

coscass
December 27th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I've been trying a few of these braids I've seen on here. Some work nicely, others don't. The problem is, it seems to be whenever I try to braid my hair, there's one section to my left that peters out and just isn't as long as the rest. So normally I have to throw in one of those little black rubber bands to hold it, which really isn't a problem.

But my main problem is, is for example a braided bun, I can only wrap it twice. I'd like to try something more decorative, but I'm afraid I don't have enough hair, and for me personally I'd like to keep my hair this length. It's not too long, not too short.

So, can positioning it higher make it seem like I have more hair to work with? Or, do any of you use hair extentions (braided clip ins), or would you all consider that mega-cheating?:p

HildeMV
December 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM
How do you divide your hair when you start braiding? like this I I I or this Y. if that makes sense :P

You can also "donate" hair to another strand if you notice that one is shorter than the other.

I usually put my braids medium high, like in the middle of the back of my head dividing it like a Y, it gives me more braid than the low one divided in strands next to each other.

coscass
December 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM
How do you divide your hair when you start braiding? like this I I I or this Y. if that makes sense :P

You can also "donate" hair to another strand if you notice that one is shorter than the other.

Depends, really. Sometimes I do it III or Y, or even / if I'm doing a side braid. I also do donate, but even then I have to use the black elastics to hold it in place. Though, truthfully, I haven't begun braiding up on my scalp yet. That's another thing I'm still trying to learn-- after I can manage to braid my own hair WITHOUT having to pull it over my shoulder.

marikamt
December 27th, 2009, 12:14 PM

I usually put my braids medium high, like in the middle of the back of my head dividing it like a Y, it gives me more braid than the low one divided in strands next to each other.

What do you mean by Y.... I am not getting it........ :confused:

HildeMV
December 27th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I have no experience with adding hair, but how about adding some products to the ends so they'll stick out less? And making a large braid and a thinner braid so that you can make a swirl with the large one first and the small one around the perimeter?

HildeMV
December 27th, 2009, 12:15 PM
What do you mean by Y.... I am not getting it........ :confused:That the sectioning looks like a Y from the back of teh head. A top section and a left and right section.

coscass
December 27th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I have no experience with adding hair, but how about adding some products to the ends so they'll stick out less? And making a large braid and a thinner braid so that you can make a swirl with the large one first and the small one around the perimeter? That's a great idea, I don't know why I didn't think of that before!

marikamt
December 27th, 2009, 12:28 PM
That the sectioning looks like a Y from the back of teh head. A top section and a left and right section.

oh, I think I get it.... as opposed to when it is III and you start w/ almost a pony tale at the nape and divide that?

HildeMV
December 27th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Yes, and I think it looks very different in a way. Both from the side and from the back.

Hiriel
December 27th, 2009, 01:37 PM
oh, I think I get it.... as opposed to when it is III and you start w/ almost a pony tale at the nape and divide that?
Dianyla explains it very well (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652) :)

Amraann
December 27th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Along the same lines as making to braids you can also make the one and then just wrap a small section of hair around the perimeter of the bun.

inspiral
December 27th, 2009, 03:02 PM
i usually make the two outer sections of the braid thicker than the middle section, that way when you get down to the end all sections are more or less the same length. sometimes, if one section starts to get much shorter than the rest, i will resection in the middle of the braid, either make new sections that are all the same length and keep braiding, or i also like to switch to a rope braid sometimes too!
when doing braided updos, you can definitely use some tricks to make an optical illusion to make your hair appear fuller, by using several braids and putting something in your hair to wrap your bun around, not sure what the proper terminology would be, but its basically a plastic or fabric piece thats doughnut shaped that you wrap your hair around, im sure you could find one at a beauty supply store, (or use the sock bun method!)
as for fake hair pieces and clip in extensions, i say go for it!! they really enhance updos and are damage free!
i usually try to use the fake hair to create the volume and use my own hair to cover most of the fake hair so it looks as natural as possible.
you could use the bun donut, wrap fake hair around it, and then wrap you own hair around that, and have a mega-bun!!
also, if you use pins to keep the bun as flat to your head as possible, it makes it look bigger and wider and not sticking out as much. loosely braided braids and dirty hair also help to create more "umph"!
good luck and happy braiding!:heartbeat

raspberrytea
December 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I find that this braid http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=38184 if started around ear-length gives the look of an English braid but adds several inches to the length. There is a video link for it on page 5

piratejenny23
December 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I've been trying a few of these braids I've seen on here. Some work nicely, others don't. The problem is, it seems to be whenever I try to braid my hair, there's one section to my left that peters out and just isn't as long as the rest.

But my main problem is, is for example a braided bun, I can only wrap it twice. I'd like to try something more decorative, but I'm afraid I don't have enough hair, and for me personally I'd like to keep my hair this length. It's not too long, not too short.

So, can positioning it higher make it seem like I have more hair to work with? Or, do any of you use hair extentions (braided clip ins), or would you all consider that mega-cheating?:p

my braids & ponytails taper to about 10 hairs...i feel your pain :flower:

1) making a "normal" ponytail then braiding gives me about 6" more length than starting at the nape.

2) i don't mind extensions...i wouldn't call you a cheater!

3) i find that if i make a ponytail, insert a chopstick, build a bun around the chopstick, then remove the stick, it gives me a flatter, bigger-looking bun! (i have to pin as i go, though)

4) don't forget the sock bun!!! i've only tried the traditional one so far but i like the "inside out" one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM
plus you could save a section of hair to make a braid with, and wrap that around the outside of the sock bun

5) making rats with your saved shed hair can give you volume.

6) i don't know what it's called but here on LHC i've seen a bun made out of 3 braids. you start with the crown hair (above ears, like a half-up), make a braid & a bun; then take a section below that (imagine a line from the middle of one ear to the other), wrap that braid around the bun, then repeat with the last section of hair. since the braids are thinner they are longer and i don't think there's as much tapering. maybe someone can help out with name/pics? :)

7) i haven't attempted the crown braid yet but i think it could look quite impressive even with medium-length hair! plus you could weave in extensions and/or ribbons to make the braid look thicker.

HTH!

coscass
December 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Rats with saved sheded hair?