PDA

View Full Version : Need Easy Hairstyles for BSL Hair

gordonse
April 26th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Since I cut my hair from tailbone to BSL, I've been having a difficult time finding hairstyles that I like. Before the cut, I basically just wore a bun, a basic braid, or wore it down. I have a medium and large ficcare, a hairstick and a hairfork, but I can't figure out how to make any of them work anymore. I've tried a french twist and even tried french braiding, but I can't seem to figure anything out. I think I must be hairstyle challenged. Does anyone have any ideas for simple hairstyles at my new length?

Riot Crrl
April 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I can't get sticks to do anything at BSL either.

Have you tried a peacock twist? You twist hair as for a French twist, but instead of attempting to tuck it in anywhere, you attach it near the top of the back of your head using (probably the medium) Ficcare. There is a video of it on the Ficcare site. The ends then just sort of flop down over the twist, depending how long or curly they may be. I can sort of scrunch mine and get curls there.

Cinnamon bun I can do even at BSL with layers too, but I have to put it up damp/wet, or else there are ends sticking out all over the place.

Those are about the only ones I seem to manage on a regular basis, but I'm not particularly coordinated or knowledgable about updos. A braided bun or anything braided basically makes me the Mayor of End Sticking Out City.

Druid of Alba
April 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
A ponytail? You could also do a basic braid starting at the nape. A bun would also work, held with a hair tie! Good luck! Your hair looks very healthy!

Jeni
April 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM
My hair is shorter then yours and I can do a (small) figure 8/infinity bun. I have some ends that stick out, but I think it looks OK. I can get it to stay with a stick, works better as an infinity though. If I do a figure 8 it tends to sag after awhile (drunken figure 8), but otherwise looks OK. What about the Chinese bun things? Or a sock bun? My hair mostly staying in a bun (cinnamon or bee butt) with a stick or fork to hold it.

nomadhome
April 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM
My hair is thick-ish and around BSL, and a fork will hold a bun. It isn't perfect and neat, but it works. I find that it is very important for me to twist well, tuck the ends in, etc. And, although I use a fork, I use it a bit more like a stick to keep it tight. I also occasionally use a single braid or pigtails.

gordonse
April 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the ideas! Keep them coming!
I am just so used to have all my ends tuck in perfectly with my buns, but I think I'm going to have to get used to having some hairs sticking out. The peacock twist is a good idea. I should head over to the ficcare website and see if they have any more ideas.

eadwine
April 26th, 2008, 07:03 PM
You could take a look at what I have collected in my siggie. I should put those in the articles section, but haven't gotten around to it.

young&reckless
April 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Pretezel bun!

I tend to do a bun with mine but when I begin to make the first loop I leave the end on the inside (by my head) then just pull the loop top to the bottom making a but shaped like a pretezl shape. Holds well with a hair stick (for me) and keeps most of the ends tucked in against your head.

Good luck

Periwinkle
April 28th, 2008, 09:59 AM
By the looks of it, your hair is about an inch longer than mine.

I normally wear mine in a ponytail, but if you've always worn your hair in nicer styles (and I'm jealous of you) then you might not be keen to do something so boring. I tend to play around with the height of the pony a lot and also parting my hair in various ways. Another thing you can do that's about reaching its limit at BSL is randomly twisted buns: cinnabuns with elastics round would be the basic ones, but I think they look a bit silly. I prefer to use a loopy scrunchie: pull your hair through it once, in a ponytail, then half pull it through, then fasten it around again without pulling it through all the way. It makes a kind of messy bun.

You can also take a ponytail and twist it and loop it, which just makes a...uh...loop.

Tried alice bands/clips with it down? Or holding just the top part in a clip?

I can get all my hair into a French twist, French plait or cinnabun, so I imagine that you'd be able to do those too.

akurah
April 28th, 2008, 10:13 AM
My hair is shorter then yours and I can do a (small) figure 8/infinity bun. I have some ends that stick out, but I think it looks OK. I can get it to stay with a stick, works better as an infinity though. If I do a figure 8 it tends to sag after awhile (drunken figure 8), but otherwise looks OK. What about the Chinese bun things? Or a sock bun? My hair mostly staying in a bun (cinnamon or bee butt) with a stick or fork to hold it.

My hair is probably longer than yours, and I *can't* do a proper figure 8 or infinity bun.

Thickness (and lack thereof) will make a big difference in what hair styles you can and cannot do. Someone with i hair is gonna be able to make a figure 8 at shoulder length whereas someone with iii hair might need waist length.

Keep this in mind when suggesting hairstyles. ;)

LeaM07
April 28th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I second the peacock twist... a sock bun is also a good idea. I like ends-sticking-out styles (even though I can't do them myself).

You might also try a knot bun. Try just tying your hair in a plain slipknot (leave the ends free), then fold it up (so that the ends are pointing upward) and secure with a hairstick or Ficcare. Let the ends fall casually around the knot. A knot will be less likely to slip out, and you might have better luck getting it to stay than a cinnabun/figure-8/etc.

Jeni
April 28th, 2008, 02:36 PM
My hair is probably longer than yours, and I *can't* do a proper figure 8 or infinity bun.

Thickness (and lack thereof) will make a big difference in what hair styles you can and cannot do. Someone with i hair is gonna be able to make a figure 8 at shoulder length whereas someone with iii hair might need waist length.

Keep this in mind when suggesting hairstyles. ;)

Oh I know the thicker your hair the longer it needs to be for some styles. She has ii, so I figured I would suggest it to her and she could see if she can make one. I would not of suggested it if she had iii.

aglaiah
April 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Being at bsl myself i dont vary a lot in my hairstyles but my favorite is putting my hair in a ponytail, split that en make two braids than circle them against myhaid and do this with the second one around the first one and then put sticks in.

Of course I do use a lot of scroos :rolleyes::o

cant wait till I figure out more styles myself

Ella
April 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Why don't you try a stick barette?