PDA

View Full Version : Shedding From Stress?

Urchin
April 26th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hey all, is it true that stress can cause additional shedding? This would be consistant with my recent increase in stress and my roughly doubled rate of shedding. However, this also occurred when the weather suddenly improved. What's causing it?

If it is stress, I know the stress will be around for some weeks yet. Any advice for minimizing the hair loss during that time?

Thanks in advance.

cindy58
April 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM
A big YES. It seemed like a couple of months after an unexpected divorce I started shedding much more hair than usual. I could probably count the few hairs I typically shed, I went from that to what seemed like a lapful of hair when I combed. I tried not to cause myself additional stress by getting overly worked up about it. I just stayed with my usual routine of gentle handling. Probably 4-5 months later, it seemed to go back to normal for me.

Now I've got lots and lots of shorter hairs growing back. Almost like tiny tufts here and there. Every day I seem to notice more of them. They are noticeable to me wherever I part my hair and along all hairlines. I feel like a fuzzhead now (but I'm happy it's growing). I'm glad that I didn't realize at the time how MUCH hair I was apparently shedding! Because my hair is reasonably thick, I don't think anyone else noticed it, and when I checked my ponytail thickness sometime during the shed, it didn't appear to have gone down.

Urchin
April 26th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. Now at least I know what's causing it and that it will (hopefully) leave with my stressor. I get so scared when I shed like this.

angelthadiva
April 26th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Stress can be a huge factor if you are shedding. I would suggest leaving your hair alone as much as possible (minimal combing and washing) until the stressor leaves. :)

DiyaC
April 27th, 2008, 12:41 AM
YES. Defintiely YES. Stress is a big factor when it comes to shedding of hair. I've heard that meditation helps in reducing stress and in turn hair loss, so maybe you could try that.

Hugs to you. :grouphug: I know how it feels to lose a lot of hair, be it due to stress or any other reason. Hope your hair gets back to normal soon.

Saranne772
April 27th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Ohd ear I know what you mean, I have had this too. Just treat your hair like a thin shelled egg and do the least you can manage to it. It will pass :) Try not to worry.

Phalaenopsis
April 27th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I sooo know the problem.(luckily I also have lots of hair) My pharmacist advised me to take a supplement with zinc and magnesium and something that is called the Russian ginseng.
I hope you feel less stressed soon :blossom:

Rosamaria
April 27th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I'm sure that stress can do it, but I have also found that my hair sheds seasonally. I always shed more in the spring for a few weeks, and then again in the autumn. It seems to be a natural process and I don't worry about it. This could be a factor in the shedding that you've just noticed.

Just_Isabel
April 27th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Hey all, is it true that stress can cause additional shedding?

Yes, but AFAIK the shedding starts 3 - 6 months after the stress.
You can also shed more after serious illness, and that will also happen with a delay, according to what I've read about it.

I'd try to make sure to eat a healthy, balanced diet, and I'd probably focus on getting enough B vitamins, too.

savi
April 27th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I'm just conforming what others have said before me..
First hand experience - yes stress causes shedding, and personally when I have stress my eating habits go haywire. And that adds to the shedding, but it comes with a delay.
But I'm leaning on the seasonal shedding, mine just ended. You just have to be careful while it lasts.

Gemma
April 27th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Yup, I've experienced stress induced shedding. It became noticeable a couple of months after the stressful events started, and has started to ease off now that I'm attempting to take better care of myself.

I don't know if it will necessarily help you personally but I find Biotin supplements quite helpful when it comes to reducing my shed.