PDA

View Full Version : Hair coloring for dummies?

sapphire-o
December 26th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Ok I've never touched any hair colors my entire life, but I'm a bit interested now. Where do I start? Is there any good web sites on DIY hair coloring?

I don't plan to color my hair, it's too dark. Mostly I was wondering if I can make DH's dark blonde hair a bit more... golden. :) It's naturally an ashy dark blonde / light brown color with cool gold tones, kinda like slightly tarnished bronze. You can see some pictures of his hair in my albums. What can I do to make it a bit more golden? Would applying boxed dye work?

ravenreed
December 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM
The thing about hair coloring is that it does take extra time and upkeep... Most boyos don't have the interest in hair to do it. (Obviously, the ones around here don't count) It really would be up to him if he is interested in sitting down with stinky stuff on his head for about 30 minutes every 6 - 8 weeks and then babying his hair after, with every wash.

Plus doing it yourself can be iffy. I only had box dye go wrong once on me, but I did end up with pumpkin orange. It was quite astonishing. However, out of 20 years of doing my own hair, that is not too bad.

lapushka
December 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Maybe cassia might enhance the gold tones that are in the hair already, although it didn't make much difference for me last year, except perhaps in bright sunlight on some of the lighter hairs.

Demetrue
December 27th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I would not not not use a box dye to make your DH's hair more golden because you would be permanantly be changing the color and texture of the length and then he would have to redye the roots every 3-4 weeks. What I would do is get the JOhn Freida Blonde lightening shampoo and conditioner and start using it, then I would do a rinse with lemon, chamomile tea and a small amount of regular drugstore 3% hydrogen peroxide all mixed together with warm water. I would pour it through his hair, comb through and let dry in the sun. I think 2 or 3 rinses like that would give him the golden tones without making a dramatic demarcation line or damaging his hair too much.

spidermom
December 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Does he want more golden tones? His hair is beautiful already; it doesn't need a thing.

Addy
December 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM
With his length, I really wouldn't do it! It takes a looooong time to grow out a color if he does not like it! His hair looks great as is!

My answer may have been different if his hair wasn't so long. It looks as though he takes good care of it... I just wouldn't want to hear of him hating it if it doesn't go the way he wanted. :(

Pear Martini
December 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Take a vacation somewhere tropical and spend the entire time you are there outside. I live in Miami and all of the natural blondes I know have the goldest blonde hair ever.

sapphire-o
December 28th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I'll read up the honey thread when I have more time. He doesn't care either way. I only want it to be a little lighter, kinda look like natural highlights anyway. Just to make it look brighter. :) Maybe we'll try the chamomile and lemon trick first. I definitely won't touch boxed dye or peroxide then.