PDA

View Full Version : Heavy hair- Styles?

GlamFanatic
December 26th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Hi all, I wonder if anyone has the problem of heavy hair? I love to do hairstyles but braids or updo's seem to concentrate the weight too much on one area and actually hurts my head. The only way I can get by in summer is in a bun directly on the very top of my head, not really attractive on me unfortunately. I've resorted to just pulling the top layers off my face with a stretchy (to avoid breakage) but then it looks like I have a 'knob' on top of my head. OH MY...do you remember the "Velvet" doll from years ago with a knob/screw top to shorten or lengthen the hair? Haha

GlamFanatic
December 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM
sorry..didn't realize i was in the newcomer topics...probably a better place to have asked that!

Pierre
December 26th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Welcome to LHC! I like to put one bun or braid on each side of the head to avoid being too heavy in one place.

GlamFanatic
December 27th, 2009, 08:48 AM
YEs, in summer time I have resorted to the two side braids piled back on my head like the German 'Frauline'? ha

spidermom
December 27th, 2009, 08:53 AM
There are days that I have to re-do my hair multiple times at different places on my scalp because it's too heavy and hurts my head. Every once in awhile, however, I somehow find the "sweet" spot where the tension and positioning is just right, and I can forget my hair for the entire day.

AprilElf
January 1st, 2010, 03:24 AM
Some styles that I find distributes the weight more evenly:

Braided Chinese Bun
Folded multi-strand braid (4 or 5 strands)
Double Figure-8 Buns
Equilibrium bun (I haven't done this one in a while, but it's designed for even distribution)
Beehive / Vortex buns (anything with multiple braids or strands wrapped in ever-increasing circles! ;) )

Hope that helps!

Sheltie_Momma
January 1st, 2010, 09:28 PM
Sometimes I do a half up bun with about 2/3 of my hair and then just wind the rest of the hair around it and pin it in place. It is big but doesn't pull as much as bunning all the hair.

Curlsgirl
January 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM
I have this problem too unfortunately. The only thing that I can really wear MOSTLY without a problem is a plain English or French braid left down. Even that hurts sometimes. I have tried so many other styles and I used to wear a Figure 8 a lot but now cannot get it positioned with any type of hairtoy where it doesn't give me a headache. *sigh. In the summer I mostly wear a braid and in the winter wear it down. :shrug: