PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "wrong way" to put your hair up?

coscass
December 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I just started using haristicks, or rather, hairSTICK, lol. I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet. What I have to do is put my hair in a ponytail, braid it over my shoulder (still learning to braid my own hair), then twist it around. I use one large bobby pin which I use to tuck the ends away, then push the stick(s) through.

Does this really count as using hairsticks, though? :/ I feel like I'm cheating.

young&reckless
December 26th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Sure it counts as you practice more you'll find styles that wont need the pins to help you.

Check out the artical section there is a ton of info there.

Ursula
December 26th, 2009, 05:07 PM
It certainly counts as using hairsticks.

If you wish to use hairsticks without the bobby pins and ponytail elastic, the trick is to put the stick into one part of the coil, moving straight towards the head, until it catches the scalp hair. Then move the hairstick down until it is parallel to your head, sliding it under the scalp hair. Then bring the tip up so it catches the middle of the coil or braid on the other side of the bun, and comes up and out of the hair.

enfys
December 26th, 2009, 05:32 PM
The only wrong way would be something very very damaging I'd say.

If there's a hair stick in your hair, you're using one. I wear decorative sticks sometimes; a bun that would hold on it's own but looks a little boring.

jasper
December 26th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't say you're doing it wrong. What you're doing sounds like it would make a neat, nice looking bun.
You can make easier (fewer step) buns with one hair stick. Try the lazy wrap! If you learn that one and you've still got that one bobby pin handy, you can do this Cowrie shell bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=150)

redwoman
December 26th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Thats not cheating, that's decorative!

Addy
December 26th, 2009, 08:03 PM
As long as it looks good and stays where you put it, it all counts! :D

lapushka
December 27th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hey, we all have to learn... sure it counts *and* you'll get better at it!

bumblebums
December 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM
The only "wrong" way, I'd say, is when you take the updo down and clumps of hair come out with whatever hair accessories you used.

I try to stay away from bobby pins because they have rough edges--even if they don't pull hair out, they still crimp the cuticle. It probably isn't as much of an issue for coarser hair, though.