PDA

View Full Version : Does your SO know you are here?

motormuffin
December 26th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Do they know that you are reading about and trying to improve your hair? Do they know that you obsess over toys and what you like? I was just thinking about this...

Heavenly Locks
December 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Oh yes :) He calls it "The Hair Forum". I am lucky to have a very supportive SO. He encourages many of my hair obsessions, and he even bought me an expensive horn comb for our anniversary last year. :flower:

lillylonghair
December 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I actually started growing my hair at the request of my husband. He knows I am very into taking care of my hair and treating it well. I am a bit of a beauty junkie and routinely do home facials,oilings,manicures,etc. So of course he expects it would extend to my hair.

I don't think he knows about LHC or my new hair toy addiction though.

cindy58
December 26th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Yes, he knows. LHC is just part of what makes me ME!

Teazel
December 26th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Yes. In fact, I just showed him a picture of a beautiful Flexi-8 in Isa-belle's hair. :D

ItalianFlower
December 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
He knows about me visiting this site, and he knows I care a lot about my hair. I love him so much because he is so supportive! He loves the long dark hair and I'm more than happy to supply it :)

Gumball
December 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM
My girlfriend not only knows I'm here, she's also a [vastly infrequent posting] member. Haha.

basak
December 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Yes he does! I even convinced him to register, but he hasn't been very active at all.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 26th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I'd be scared to tell him, if i had a SO :D not everyone's ok with once a week hair washing and oil in my hair :/

redneckprincess
December 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM
mine does... he asked me to grow my hair long and natural color...but he makes fun of me for being here, lol

Wicked Princess
December 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Yes, he knows I frequent this hair forum. We tend to share all the little details of our lives with one another, and my hair-care is no different. :)

Actually, he's highly amused by how many things from my kitchen I can use in my hair.

jera
December 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM
He knows. He shakes his head at my form hunched over the computer's keypad, but smiles anyway. He loves long hair. :p

Speckla
December 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Oh yes, he does. And he's grateful I have this site to go to and not talk hair 24/7 with him. He'll listen and gets excited about somethings but I know it's not that exciting for stuff like, "Look at this hairy spider looking shed....or wow, look at this ratted up curl." :) He knows some posters by name because I talk about them with him. He even asks how such and such is doing sometimes. He knows this sites are a good place to make friends and talk about hair and a lot of other subjects.

Carolyn
December 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM
No. I keep him clueless. It's better for me that way. If I have to mention something, I mumble something about a "women's health and beauty group". LHC is for me and me alone. No sharing here.

morguebabe
December 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM
yup he knows, he looks at pictures on here if I show him, and he helps sometimes, if I watch a video or read instructions and can't get the style, he sits down and helps.
:-D

Hay22
December 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm not currently dating, but when I was I kept it to myself - admitting that I spend several minutes a day sitting and reading about something that most guys don't understand would probably just bring about strange looks, especially in the beginnings of a relationship.

Musterion
December 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Aye, I do; she actually directed (well, shoved ;) ) me over here so I could learn, understand and appreciate what she goes through to maintain and improve her long and luscious locks!

Longlocks3
December 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
When I first joined I didn't tell him for maybe, a couple weeks. I just felt like it was too strange for him to understand.

Then I gradually began telling him. There is no way I could hide it from him at this point, way too many hair and hair related items!

In fact, he got me BUNCHES of hair stuff of Christmas, because he knows I like it so much.

I show him pictures of stuff on here, mostly other peoples hair toy collections(inspiration for presents!), and others with hair longer than mine. He gave me a funny look when I showed him a picture of knee length hair, but he'll get used to it!

Calista
December 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM
My SO knows everything about me. :o

basak
December 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Re: making comments and giving strange looks, it has not been a problem for us. He has his own hobbies that he obsesses about. He has a very extensive guitar gear collection, for instance. I think it's kind of mean to make fun of one's hobbies :(

angelthadiva
December 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM
He knows. It was kinda hard keeping it a secret when I'd have him snapping pictures of the back of my head...Until I figured out how to work the self-timer :D I've drug him to a hair meet to meet Longlocks3 and he took tons of pictures of us in the rain! Gotta love him! He calls this the Hair/hairy place. :)

He totally supports me growing my hair long; the longer the better he thinks. He also supports me growing my hair grey. He doesn't understand all the hair toy stuff, but he does know how to ponytail and English braid.

As a side note, if you start whipping up little concoctions in the kitchen, be sure to properly label them...I had been using EVOO for hair oiling when I first joined mainly because that was the oil we had on hand. I added some EO for fragrance and had the bottle in the bathroom...He was cooking, and looking for the EVOO and wondered why it was in the bathroom :lol: called me at work and wanted to know what I *did* to his cooking oil :o then further wondered if it would kill us if he used it on the chicken. Finally he opted to run to the store and buy a new bottle; rather than running a risk...Our new rule is, if it is in the bathroom, it is somehow hair related! :D EVOO, coconut oil, brown sugar, baking soda, ACV, honey, lemon etc., I can see his confusion with all the baking products making their way into the bathroom. :lol: but he knows not to mess with them :)

Longlocks3
December 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM
He knows. It was kinda hard keeping it a secret when I'd have him snapping pictures of the back of my head...Until I figured out how to work the self-timer :D I've drug him to a hair meet to meet Longlocks3 and he took tons of pictures of us in the rain! Gotta love him! He calls this the Hair/hairy place. :)

He totally supports me growing my hair long; the longer the better he thinks. He also supports me growing my hair grey. He doesn't understand all the hair toy stuff, but he does know how to ponytail and English braid.

As a side note, if you start whipping up little concoctions in the kitchen, be sure to properly label them...I had been using EVOO for hair oiling when I first joined mainly because that was the oil we had on hand. I added some EO for fragrance and had the bottle in the bathroom...He was cooking, and looking for the EVOO and wondered why it was in the bathroom :lol: called me at work and wanted to know what I *did* to his cooking oil :o then further wondered if it would kill us if he used it on the chicken. Finally he opted to run to the store and buy a new bottle; rather than running a risk...Our new rule is, if it is in the bathroom, it is somehow hair related! :D EVOO, coconut oil, brown sugar, baking soda, ACV, honey, lemon etc., I can see his confusion with all the baking products making their way into the bathroom. :lol: but he knows not to mess with them :)

:rollin::rollin::rollin:

Hmmm, maybe I need to make that announcement in my house! Not that Adam bakes at all!

Speckla
December 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah he knows, I tell him that I just come here for the articles...lol!

Coriander
December 26th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Oh, yes he does. :lol:

He's even joined me on two meets, and spoils me occasionally by combing my hair. He's happy to take back-of-head photos and constantly tells me how "feminine" I look with my long hair. :crush:

He knows half of you by screenname because I'll read him something funny or will openly express if I'm worried about one of you.

I'm always showing him photos, asking if he likes this hairtoy or that color, and if he likes that particular length. (Thanks to Emichiee, I now have him convinced that classic to upper-thigh length would look the best. ;) )

He's very supportive of my being a member of this board. :)

Angelina15
December 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM
mine knows and he thinks it is really cute. It also might have something to do with him belonging to a star wars forum... we each have our own obsession lol. :D

SunshineHair
December 26th, 2009, 04:24 PM
My husband knows and tells me he is glad I found a place that I enjoy so much :) I tell him all kinds of things I learn, I do not imagine he cares to hear the stories but he sure does a great impression of someone who does :)

It is a trade off, he tells me about his sports stuff and I tell him about hair, and we both try to act really jazzed about it all hehe!

Pixna
December 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Okay, that just cracked me up!!! :laugh:

Yep, my husband knows. He HAD to know something was up when I asked him to snap a photo of the back of my head! :smirk: I've been coming here for many years and he's glad I have online friends to discuss hair stuff with. He likes my hair long and wurly, so any advice I can get in the process (of getting back there again), he's grateful for.

Ursula
December 26th, 2009, 04:28 PM
No SO, but my family and friends know about LHC. My dad has contributed things here, via me (particularly the shampoo detergent article), I gave my sister-in-law the book "Curly Girl" based on the recommendation of curlies here, I've asked for advice here when my stepmother was ill with sores in her mouth, and having trouble eating, to help find suitable foods, I met one of my best real-life friends (locally) via LHC, and I've sought advice for other friends here (with their permission) when it seemed appropriate.

LHC is generally a useful online resource, and my friends and family know about it in the same way as they know about each other through me, and other online communities I participate in. When it is appropriate and useful for them, this is a resource, like all our other family and friend contacts are resources.

I couldn't imagine having a SO where I'd have to try to keep something like LHC secret. Maintaining secrets is too much work.

Paniscus
December 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Well,,... when SO and I were still together, he knew all about it. He loved it. He loved taking pictures of my hair to post. He enjoyed the one meetup I went to at the zoo. And, get this, he started his own journey to long hair! His hair is now just past his shoulders, all one length (from a buzz cut) and he loves it. So yeah... it can have an affect on SO :D

YoginiCelestial
December 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Yes, he knows, but is not very interested. When he sees me on my laptop reading intently, he knows it's the LHC group.
He spends more time on fantasy football on his laptop than I do on LHC! :p

smilinjenn71
December 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM

:rollin:

Love it!

Starr
December 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Of course he does- my DH loves that I have some else to "bore" with hair talk other than him, lol. Lots of someones in fact.

akurah
December 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
My SO knows, and I hardly keep LHC a secret. If your SO doesn't know, I would hope it would be because he's not as "significant" as the phrase "significant other" implies (example: relationship is new) OR because you're not particularly active here (for example, I read Feministing on occasion, but less than other feminist blogs, and I've never mentioned it because its so abysmally unimportant).

And as I type this and my SO asks me what I'm typing, and I tell him, he says to say "Of course he doesn't know! If he knew you were getting hair tips from..." Long pause, and when I ask why, he says he didn't get that far yet, only to finally blurt, "He'd be jealous! Yeah, that's it."

jojo
December 26th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Oh yeah he knows! like when he sees me disapearing upstairs with a jar of honey, sat with oil dripping off my head, or with my heat cap on or putting my silk sleep hat on, he will say ' Long hair community suggestion that?' and just rolls his eyes!

enfys
December 26th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Oh yes, and he's very encouraging and knowledgeable despite not having much hair himself! If we are at a craft market he'll sniff out the hair sticks before me, he knows the weird treatments I use and even seeks to educate others on the evils of certain styling methods, bless him.

Now I just need to teach him to French braid and I'm away...

DakarNick
December 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I'm the opposite. I am a male and came here to learn how to help my fiancee take care of her hair as it gets longer. She is the one who is not into hair. Well, not as much as I am. She keeps it healthy and does simple styles, but when I asked her if she'd be interested in joining a long hair discussion board, she said to me, "Honey, you're the one who likes my hair so much. I believe hair is to be grown and cut. I like to brush it and curl it, but that's it."

That bummed me out.

jasper
December 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM
yeah, it's a bit hard to miss.

manderly
December 26th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Yes, he calls this my "hair club for women" and he thinks I'm kinda nuts. He doesn't really care what I do with my hair (honestly nothing I've put on it or worn to bed has fazed him yet) but he does seem to like it :)

Nae
December 26th, 2009, 07:40 PM
He does, he thinks it is pretty weird though. He is glad that it makes me so happy but he is a born skeptic. Very often when I have the oils and the conditioners and the herbs and ACV littering the bathroom he will just gently raise one eyebrow and say, "Just make sure it doesn't fall out." A lot of confidence there, hehe.:laugh:

He is very supportive though, he has been very pleased with my decision to grow out my natural color, grays and all. (Although this might be partially because I won't be spending so much at the hairdressers lol.) Oh and sometimes he hugs me and says, "You smell poo bar-y." Then he wrinkles up his nose. :hmm: I think this means I need to find some other scents lol.

Pear Martini
December 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I don't live with my BF so its easy for my LHC addiction to go unnoticed. He does know that I put coconut oil in my hair. I tell him thats what women in other parts of the world do to keep their hair healthy. I think he thinks its cute.

Elphie
December 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I can't imagine why I would need to keep it a secret, LOL! Sure, he knows. Does he care? Meh...not really. Likes me, likes my hair, but I read a lot of things online, and he is equally uninterested!

Pear Martini
December 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM
He does, he thinks it is pretty weird though. He is glad that it makes me so happy but he is a born skeptic. Very often when I have the oils and the conditioners and the herbs and ACV littering the bathroom he will just gently raise one eyebrow and say, "Just make sure it doesn't fall out." A lot of confidence there, hehe.:laugh:

He is very supportive though, he has been very pleased with my decision to grow out my natural color, grays and all. (Although this might be partially because I won't be spending so much at the hairdressers lol.) Oh and sometimes he hugs me and says, "You smell poo bar-y." Then he wrinkles up his nose. :hmm: I think this means I need to find some other scents lol.

Lol, perhaps but how bad could it be. He must just be trying to give you a hard time.

Dvips
December 26th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Yes. He's been to a couple of meets too.

Nae
December 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Lol, perhaps but how bad could it be. He must just be trying to give you a hard time.

I think he usually does that when I have used the Cafe Moreno from CV. I love what it does for my hair and I don't mind the scent but it does have a very strong clove smell to it. I don't think he likes it very much but then again, he is a picky thing. That is why he chose me, hehe! :D

GoddesJourney
December 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Yes. He teases me about my nerdy hair forum thing and I tease him about his dorky soccer forum.

GlamFanatic
December 26th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Now that is hilarious b/c I was just tilting the computer away so he wasn't reading over my shoulder, but he knows I finally figured out a way to get registered. I just dug out my coconut oil and overdid it, so it's evident! hah

He is just thrilled to see I'm not scrolling through Ebay!! haha

MissBellydance
December 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Yep, infact he's sitting next to me on the couch right now reading his book on Game Engine Architecture haha. We exchange interesting facts about what we're reading every now and then.

lindenblossom
December 26th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I live with my boyfriend/partner and my sister. Both of them know about this website.

My partner sees me on a local bicycling forum more often than LHC, so he associates bikes and bike mechanics as more of an interest/hobby of mine. I tend to read LHC for comfort, because most people here are so nice.

missjessiecakes
December 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Oh he knows...

And he laughs when he sees me furiously typing away. He makes fun of me for sure but he knows I love it here and he knows I want my hair back. But he makes fun of me and all of you but in a way that is a fond toleration because it makes me happy and it gives me something to do on days when I am sad and I dont have a whole lot of friends anymore so here I am talking to you lovely ladies and gents and it makes me happy. So he sends his love to all of you.

And to be honest there are way worse things that I could be obsessed with :D

Pear Martini
December 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM
He is just thrilled to see I'm not scrolling through Ebay!! haha

Ditto :eyebrows:

Amraann
December 26th, 2009, 08:26 PM
He knows and is fine with it.

I am not really into hair toys but when I do buy something for my hair he is fine with it.
He loves my hair and will even talk to me about it or ask me questions.

rags
December 26th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Yes, he knows. He calls LHC the "hair place" and you all are the "hair people". As in "Did the hair people suggest that?" when I try something new, or "You're on your hair place again?" :D He loves my hair longer, but he thinks it's seriously strange to have a whole forum about it.

amoulixes
December 26th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Yup, he knows! I mentioned it when I first joined and he kinda looked at me funny. Now he wants to know why I threw out my brushes, changed products, and use honey in my hair! I always have to hear about his car forum, so there's a little bit of pay back! ;)

He even wants to go to a meeting next month, and asked if they would mind a short-hair, haha!

little_acorn
December 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Do they know that you are reading about and trying to improve your hair? Do they know that you obsess over toys and what you like? I was just thinking about this...

Yes.......

and most definitely yes :cheese:

Ravenwaves 88
December 26th, 2009, 09:10 PM
My husband knows and he thinks it's a bit obsessive....but he just leaves me alone with it for the most part as I don't share Forum discussions with him. He'll ask me occasionally..."Whatcha doin?" and I'll have to respond most of the time with...."I'm on my hair forums".....and he'll usually just say "Oh" and leave me alone.....lol. I'm always here when he asks me it seems.

MissManda
December 26th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Yep, DBF knows that LHC is one of the Web sites I visit the most. Ha ha. He said that it is one of the three major things I do when I'm on the internet. He looks over my shoulder a lot, and he even makes comments like "That would look pretty like that," or "You should try that style some time." He also takes my advice sometimes.

LOL!

paperwhite
December 26th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Does he care? Meh...not really. Likes me, likes my hair, but I read a lot of things online, and he is equally uninterested!

This pretty much says it all for me. My SO knows, but he really couldn't be less interested than he already is! One thing that's nice is that he's supportive of it--I have several pairs of very nice sticks from him because he knew how badly I wanted them. He was really helpful when I first started using hair sticks, he'd look around some local stores with me to try and find suitable sticks. Also, he doesn't mind when I use up the last of some random food/ingredient just to try it out on my hair :)

ETA: I get to hear about his car forums, too, so we kind of each get to tell the other about what we're reading about. It's nice :)

mrs carol
December 26th, 2009, 09:24 PM
My husband ask me to keep my hair long, he likes it natural, no color, perms etc. He knows I like to go to LHC and learn more on how to keep my hair healthy. He is very supportive.

DakarNick
December 26th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I can't imagine NOT being interested in Kari's hair. I know everyone has different interests, just boggles my mind :)

ChrissieM
December 26th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Ha ha...no, he doesn't know. He'd just think it's silly to participate in a hair forum, so he doesn't need to know. He does know that I love long hair and that I am actively growing right now, and he's cool with that. I just vaguely tell him that all the hair things I'm doing are from "the internet".

ArienEllariel
December 26th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Don't have a SO, but if I did, I'm sure he wouldn't be fazed by my visiting LHC. :) (especially as he's likely to be a long hair himself!)

DragonLady
December 26th, 2009, 10:38 PM
It's been interesting reading all the replies.

My DH is used to me hanging around forums of every topic and kind imaginable. I'm on different forums discussing topics from automobile maintenance to Zoo Tycoon, and everything in-between. He doesn't think I'm strange or obsessed or being silly.

I think he prefers this over the dozens of magazine subscriptions I used to keep. ;)

LittleOrca
December 26th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Yup, he knows Im here and here is here too. :)

Shermie Girl
December 26th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Absolutely! :D

How do you think he knows to buy me Ficcares? :eyebrows:

Teacherbear
December 26th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Yep.

I don't obsess about my hair like I use to when I fist joined the hair boards, but he knows I visit LHC every day (or almost every day).

flutterbudget
December 26th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Mine knows. He knew I was desperately searching for ideas to "fix" my hair when I found this site, and he's very supportive. He very much enjoyed the "mad science" of SMT, and he giggled quite a lot while snapping pics of my x-mas morning in rag curls. He's not made fun of me yet for sitting around with goop on my head under plastic, and he's advocating for trying henna (just a gloss to start I'm thinking) instead of going back to chem dye. And he said to me the other day, "Honey, I watched you learn to make jewelry and obsessively collect beads, and I watched you teach yourself to knit and become obsessed with yarn. I think you should probably buy yourself some hair things with your x-mas money. Maybe that wooden fork you were looking at on Etsy?" :D

RocketDog
December 26th, 2009, 11:20 PM
This is not the first forum I've joined, nor the last... my husband knows I'm a research junkie to the extreme, and forums are a great way to get practical advice that articles cannot provide. He is wonderfully supportive of my growing, tolerant of my crazy hair experiments, and he lavishes me with praise and hair trinkets :inlove:

And my hair obsession has paid off for him, too - he has always had a thing for women with long, unruly red hair and fiery personalities to match, so I think he finds me even more appealing now than he did when I wore my hair in an overly styled bob :eyebrows:

windinherhair
December 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM
My husband knows about me being on here. He has helped me take some hair pictures too.

Fiferstone
December 27th, 2009, 05:54 AM
My DH knows about LHC, and although he's not joined himself (he's mostly sucked into FB when he's online), he has started doing some of the things that I've found that work for me: CWC, and ACV rinses. However, he does roll his eyes at it, and I don't think he'll ever try coconut oil, but we trade off on the computer. I don't mind how much time he spends on FB, he doesn't mind how much time I spend on LHC, and this year, the one present I wanted for Christmas was a lovely hair toy, and he got it for me :).

Liluri
December 27th, 2009, 06:32 AM
DH knows and teases me about it :) He also buys me pretty hair toys.

Lemur_Catta
December 27th, 2009, 06:59 AM
My boyfriend knows that I am here, and thinks I am a bit crazy for this :D But he takes pictures of my hair, and doesn't laugh if he sees me putting oil in my hair or something like that. He is very supportive, and loves my hair down.

Kirzja
December 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Yes I have told him, but he has never seen the forum.

We respect each other's hobbies, so I am not afraid of what he might think of it.
He is also on a forum by the way.

fluffybunny
December 27th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I've made vague references to being on 'hair and makeup forums'. In general I don't like the idea of f2f friends being able to find & recognize me on forums, so I'm always kinda vague about such activities. Although if anyone was determined to do so, it probably wouldn't be too hard to do.

chloeishere
December 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Yep, he knows. He's seen me on it, although I've never specifically referred to it by name or anything, just "the hair forum I'm on." With the amount of hairtoys I have, he'd have to know. :p Also, when I've done a cassia treatment and my hair smells like hay for a week, etc.

I still haven't done a DT at his place (where I essentially live) yet, but that's because I don't have my stuff over here. That's the true test of love. I know he'll pass. :D

He does tease me about it, especially when I'm furiously typing away, but he also teases me about the car forum I'm on (fitfreak.net, LOL). I tease him about how much time he spends on gamespot, and about his love of dorky things (like D&D and Magic, even though he doesn't really have time to play any more). It works out great.

maxzeen
December 27th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Oh yes he knows. He actually wants me to grow my hair longer. He knows about LHC and that I am trying to take better care of my hair.

pinkbunny
December 27th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Of course DH knows! The day I found LHC I proudly announced to him my new "discovery". We both thought it was cool there's actually a community of longhairs! Sometimes he'll come peek over my shoulder while I'm posting and just chuckle and say something about "are you on the hair forum again?" He loves my long hair so he supports anything I do to keep it healthy and growing long. I like telling him about what I'm learning...

All my friends and family know as well. I've been telling everyone, and they all seem impressed like I've joined some exclusive club lol.

bumblebums
December 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Nope. I don't know which websites he trolls, either.

Gothic Lolita
December 27th, 2009, 10:29 AM
My BF knows I'M a member and very rarely he'll ask for advice or look at pictures from LHC I show him. He likes hairtoys if they are pretty. He says that other people buy loads of shoes and clothing, I buy hairstuff, he buys elctronics, everything is fine.

I can't tell him everything I do or especially I don't do with my hair, as he could find it yucky.

EdG
December 27th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I mentioned the LHC to my former girlfriend, mostly for the purpose of showing her that I have managed to socialize a little. She knows that I'm introverted and wouldn't normally reach out to make friends. :)

I didn't tell her about the pics from our LHC San Francisco meets. Those would require too much explanation. :D :eyebrows: ;)
Ed

Samitra
December 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM
He knows that I get my "crazy hair ideas" from a hair forum, but he doesn't know more than that. He knows that I want long hair and that I take pics of my hair to keep track of the progress. He doesn't know that I post them here. Eventually he'll find out, since I don't care if he knows or not anymore. In the beginning of our relationship I kept it a secret because I had very weird habits and ideas (to him they were weird, they're perfectly normal if you ask me :D) and I felt that I didn't want to share ALL of them at once. :o

Honestwitness
December 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
My husband doesn't know about LHC, because I haven't shared it with him. I share very little about my thought processes or decisions regarding my appearance with him.

He is very active in a religion that is very conservative regarding a woman's appearance and, while I was also a part of his religion for the first 16 years of our 20-year marriage, I changed about four years ago, and I'm no longer part of his church.

What's interesting is that, while I was in his church, I kept my hair pixie-length. But, when I quit his church, I also started growing out my hair. You'd think it would be the opposite, but his church is not so much obsessive about a woman's hair length as about not giving compliments on a person's appearance.

Hubby has told me one time in 20 years that my hair looked nice. He believes ha shouldn't give me compliments on my appearance or it will make me vain. Hence, I don't share with him about LHC.

As I have read all of your posts about how freely you share things with your SOs, I feel a pang of jealousy. However, my husband is really a wonderful person. He just has a few quirky ideas.

No matter who one marries, there will always be something that needs to be tolerated or overlooked. And, compared to my first husband, who was a VERY difficult person, this man is a DREAM!!!

Having said all that, I do want to add that I very much appreciate LHC, which I read constantly on my Blackberry. So, you're all constantly at my side!

Xandergrammy
December 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
My sweet DH has been my faithful photographer for almost 4 years. He gets emails from ficcare.com and enables my product addiction. He knows I'm here. :gabigrin:

DragonLady
December 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Hubby has told me one time in 20 years that my hair looked nice. He believes ha shouldn't give me compliments on my appearance or it will make me vain. Hence, I don't share with him about LHC.

As I have read all of your posts about how freely you share things with your SOs, I feel a pang of jealousy. However, my husband is really a wonderful person. He just has a few quirky ideas.

Your hair is lovely. :) I love the silver color and the way it flows over your shoulders.

katha
December 27th, 2009, 11:52 AM
My BF does know I'm reading a few boards, one of them being this one here. He loves my hair and he was actually the first person to comment on positive changes when I first started looking after it differently. Back then we weren't a couple and we didn't see each other so much, but when we did after a few month he saw immediately that something has changed. So in a way he appreciates you as much as I do. :D
Plus, he always had difficulties with his scalpt but he doesn't any more since he stopped using cone shampoo. Yay me for giving him new shampoo. :D

nuxa
December 27th, 2009, 12:06 PM
hehe yes he knows...
I just can't hide it and he has even bought me some stuff I cant find where I live! I've always been a bit crazy about hair and he's grown accustomed to it over time :p

Honestwitness
December 27th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks, Dragonlady.

Tapioca
December 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Knows, supports, comes along to meet-ups to hold the camera...

Hiriel
December 27th, 2009, 02:05 PM
He certainly does. There's little he doesn't know about me, actually.
He is a huge fan of long hair on women, and greatly approves of me growing it longer. I talk about LHC all the time to him, but I have to make sure to call it the Long Hair Community, as LHC confuses us geeks ;)
He trims, measures and photographs my hair for me. When I first told him to measure, and told him to measure from the front hairline he at once said "Yeah, cause then you know you measure from the same place each time, right?" He does think I'm slightly obsessive, especially when I pull out the lovely spreadsheet Shastrix made (but I guess he thinks Shastrix is more obsessive ;)), but we're both huge nerds, so he considers this charming. And it amuses him greatly that I'm capable of obsessing over "girly" things too - I rarely do.

goodenough
December 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM
He'd be suprised, because I don't even have long hair anymore. But I'm still into hair, and this is one of the few forums I know of that isn't BORING--lol. I like talking to non-Americans and people who are different ages/lifestyles than me.

I've been wearing my hair in a bob, but I still trim it and color it myself, so I'm always looking for tips. And my lovely daughter has hip length hair I have to wash and take care of, so I guess I'm a long hair caretaker:)

time_on_fire
December 27th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Nope.

Part of my growing it out is a gift to him, and I'd rather not let him know how much "work" goes into it. Plus, I don't think there is anything bad about the mysteries of a woman's "beauty secrets."

It's definately not hiding, but more of not telling. We have so many other things to talk about.

But often he does ask "Where'd you learn to do that?" and I just answer "on the internet."

Coriander
December 27th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I forgot to add that my DBF measures my hair ever-so-carefully each month, and puts up with my hollering "WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT ONLY GREW 1/4"???"

:lol:

prittykitty
December 28th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Yes my husband knows. His money pays for my hair products. One day when we were shopping he asked me why I was suddenly obsessed with oils. I told him about this website and he told me that I have too much time on my hands. I just laughed about it and told him that I want to grow my hair longer and that I have to learn new things to get it to that point and that this site is very educational. He just said "to each their own I guess".

Shermie Girl
December 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I forgot to add that my DBF measures my hair ever-so-carefully each month, and puts up with my hollering "WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT ONLY GREW 1/4"???"

My husband measures my hair for me and my usual reply is, "Are you sure that's right? Measure it again!" :lol:

Anje
December 28th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Oh definitely, and he's a bit amused by it. He's even registered here, though it's probably just as well that he keeps off. (I suspect old trolling habits die hard, and he was once a dedicated Usenet troll.)

nowxisxforever
December 28th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Yep they do. My ex-BF knew, and my ex-GF knew, and my current BF and GF both know. :) My long hair is a hobby of mine, and these forums have been a constant part of my life since 2006, and as such are something I speak about often.

Kiraela
December 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Mine does, he usually refers to it as 'your hair board' but the other day, he, his dad, and I were discussing something about hair, and he said, 'According to the LHC people..." So I think he might be reading the forums when I'm not looking!

Naamah
December 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Yes, he does know I'm on here. He's on here too. :D

Chrissy
December 28th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Since I've been a member here for so long he definitely knows. My sons know too. I've had all of them measuring each month and taking pics for me for awhile. My sons both were mad when I cut my hair a while back. All of them are happy I'm regrowing. They don't really care about this place but they are glad it makes me happy and they are glad I'm growing again.

JCFantasy23
December 29th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Yeah, I mention it from time to time

Finoriel
December 29th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Of course he knows, after all those years I almost expect that he knows what I spend a part of my free-time with. :wink: I donīt sit with my back at the wall either and lots of hairy-signatures make it obvious that Iīm surfing in a hair related forum. Though the forum isnīt a part of any conversations with him, simply because he finds the topic drop-dead-boring :laugh: and we donīt bother eachother with the hobbies we donīt share, but I donīt try to hide it from him or so. Heīs just really amused that Iīm active on a hair forum :p īYou have long hair, what do you need a forum for then?ī, but then heīs active on fishing forums and itīs not that he would have no clue about fishing, so yeah :bigtongue:.
Also he makes more jokes about the other forums Iīm on :cool: unusual hobbies I guess.

WyrdWay
December 29th, 2009, 04:14 AM
oh he knows :) He marks my progress on my shirt for me. He is very supportive and has even FINALLY after 3 years of asking, has started his journey too! He's got about 2inches of growth from a buzz cut. When he complains about it I tell him if he cuts it I will cut my to the same length :D. I had given up on him growing his hair out, then I saw a picture of him and his brother, and he had hair down to his chin! He had never told me he once had "long" hair >_< I love that he is supportive though I can't wait till I can start braiding his hair.
:cheese:

Willheit
December 29th, 2009, 04:35 AM
He knows. He laughs at some of the crazy things I do to my hair, but is a shapoo bar convert himself! He does not understand my addiction to hair toys though. Couldn't I spend all that money on something more useful, like a new gory video game?

KarpatiiSiv
December 29th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Oh yes he knows and is quite happy that I've found something to occupy my time as it stops me nagging him when he spends ages on the Planet Rock Forum.:D He's very supportive and takes pictures for me and measures my hair. He is also growing his hair as well.:)

KarpatiiSiv
December 29th, 2009, 08:27 AM

:lol: That sounds familiar, I don't think my DH knows how to use a tape measure properly. :D

ZadenWillowfyre
December 29th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Mine does hahaha. He has had long hair himself. Had to cut it but he is growing it out again.

Oh yes:: He does also patiently take pictures for me. <3

Masara
December 29th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I tend to be very private about any "self-improvement" project, be it growing my hair, dieting, exercise or whatever. I think this comes from a fear of being criticized about spending my time/effort/money on "vanity" or being told that the result isn't worth the effort. I like to have what the French call my "secret garden"; my own private existance. So I tend not to tell people about that sort of thing and that includes my dh. Also, he doesn't seem to understand my reserve, he'll mention things like that to his parents (his father is the kind of person who will make snide remarks) and he would expect me to give the forum address and my user name to anyone, even strangers, who mentioned wanting to grow their hair.

I've always done deep treatments etc on my hair, so he doesn't think anything about that, I just don't bother to mention the contents of those treatments and where I got the idea. If I do mention anything about LHC, I just say "I read on the internet..." I've always been the sort of person who reads and retains all sorts of wierd information anyway. I'm guessing he knows that I find updo inspiration somewhere and I suppose he must notice the packages that arrive with American stamps and customs forms on them, but I'm not sure he notices either different updos or hair accessories.

InTheCity
December 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM
He knows. :)

Mostly because we "laptop" together on the couch on weeknights and I often make him "look at this style" and ask "what do you think about this length?"

He's supportive, takes my pic and measures for me. He also once gave a very heartfelt "wow, that would look great on you" to someone's length on here.

Islandgrrl
December 29th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Of course my DH knows about LHC! He's even come to a few hair meets with me. In fact, he tends to enable and encourage me as far as hair toy & hair related "supplies" are concerned. From time to time he even tells other people about LHC.

He calls us The Long Hair People.

*Rose Red*
December 29th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I&#180;m not telling about the LHC to other people, but they can see perhaps the group in my facebook. But they all can see that my hair is growing out, I started with shoulder length and now I got BSL. If they ask me, I tell them that I want to grow it out to waist length. And every one who enters my bathroom can see that I love shampoos and other things for hair care :-)

Angharad
December 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Yes, he knows and he even makes my hair-in-progress pictures and cuts my hair, so he's kinda involved :) !

Sissy
December 29th, 2009, 12:05 PM
yes, and my husband gets a good kick out of it LOL He thinks I'm silly!

Sweetness
December 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think most of them love that we take care of ourselves and try to get more beautiful and healthier ... not all people do so after all :p

time_on_fire
December 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I like to have what the French call my "secret garden"; my own private existance. So I tend not to tell people about that sort of thing and that includes my dh. Also, he doesn't seem to understand my reserve....

I agree. I love the imagery of the secret garden. I even had one (literally) when I lived in the city.

I'm fortunate that I found someone who not only understands my reserve, but has his own.

Lioness
December 29th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I don't have a SO but i haven't told my family either about LHC. The only thing they know is that i want to grow it longer. That is all they need to know. Otherwise i would probably say things like: "You could use your hair as toiletpaper" :rolleyes:
Nor do i tell them about my experiments with henna and such, they already call me weird if i use honey as a facemask.
If they would meet someone with kneelenght hair they'd probably think he/she was an alien.

SimplyViki
December 29th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Oh, he knows alright. He's always asking me "So, are you going to tell your hair-blog people about that now?" because he knows I am. :p

Um... actually most of my inner circle knows about LHC. My roommate, roommate's brother, roommate's husband, mom (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=23612), sisters, brothers... LOL!

Laululintu
December 29th, 2009, 01:39 PM
He does :D And I know his biggest internet time waster ;)

Gypsy
December 29th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Oh he definitely knows. It's nothing to be embarassed about so no reason not to tell him.
He even tells me to "go on my board" and see what people are saying about something or to get opinions on certain arguments we have.

Sammich
January 10th, 2010, 05:20 AM
He knows I'm obssessive with my hair and tries to understand! :D But yeah. He knows very much when I go quiet and he asks me: "Are you reading hair again?"
Me: .... Yes...... <<

Vermelha
January 10th, 2010, 05:28 AM
He knows I'm here. And I'm not embarrassed for him to know. Figuring that he loves a woman with long hair so much, I feel that he wouldn't mind me trying to achieve something that he and I would both adore, you know?

Isabelle1984
January 10th, 2010, 06:15 AM
My SO knows it and he accepts it :) He even helps me with the hair pictures and never said a bad thing about it, even though he makes fun about my hairtoy shopping :p

Meni
January 10th, 2010, 06:32 AM
He laughs a bit at all the pictures of women with long hair taken from the back, but he likes me growing my hair longer and taking good cair of it :D

lexiflowers
January 10th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Yeah my fiance knows. :) I think he's a little jealous of us all though - he's balding rather rapidly. :p

treesandcoffee
January 10th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Yes! I tell him everything I have learned. He always asks, "Can I try that too?" He's trying to grow out his hair as well!

papillion
January 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
He knows I'm on a long hair forum, though I don't think I've ever told him the url (mainly because he hasn't asked). There's no reason to keep it a secret.

Bianca
January 10th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Yep, he knows. So does my close friends and my family :D I have even gotten my BF and brother to try several things. It&#168;s nice when people are open-minded... :P

funnybunny668
January 10th, 2010, 10:01 AM
He knows I hang out at a "hair place".
But he also knows i hang out at a long of internet places he thinks are "weird". LOL ;)

reishka
January 10th, 2010, 11:08 AM
He knows. I doubt he's ever visited, because he's not all that interested, but he does like that I have a place that I can go to to do research and talk about my hair (mostly so I don't talk HIS ear off! lol).

Olde Soul
January 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM
He doesn't know I'm on here but he knows I'm anal about taking care of my hair. It ticks him off that I never wear it down anymore.

joyful373
January 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Yes, he knows, and has even been to a hair meet or two with me. He supports me and loves the fact that I am growing my hair. The only thing that grates his nerves is when shed hairs make their appearances in unwanted places. ;) He teases me a bit about my experiments and different things like that, but is really supportive of the effort. :)

truwave
January 10th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Mine knows, he's got a buzz cut, so he will just never understand:p

GlennaGirl
January 10th, 2010, 01:57 PM
My husband knows and he's fine with it. He's constantly on forums to talk about LOTR Online and WOW so he's nobody to accuse anyone else of obsessing on something non-necessary. :p

Sarah W
January 10th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Yes, he thinks I"m a nut, but then again, hes always playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2009 on PS3 for hours on end.

And whos the nut now???

wimitlee
January 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Yes, he knows I'm here and happy to not have to be the only one that I talk about hair to;) Seriously, this forum has been a great resource!

BrightEyes
January 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM
He knows and he is very supportive of my hair growth goals. He has told me often since we have been married that although he thinks I look great with short hair, he thinks I will look really good with long hair too. He's excited to see me at BSL.

Carolyn
January 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'm amazed at how many share their on line activities with their SO. I wouldn't dream of it :nono: Now and then I've made a mention of LHC (but never by name) or other on line things I do but I keep it vague and uninteresting. I sure don't want him getting curious and finding out about my secret on line hair life.

RavennaNight
January 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, and he calls it "The Hair People." Almost makes it sound like a horror novel, eh?

Yozhik
January 10th, 2010, 08:03 PM
He knows, and he's extremely supportive! I get him to look at photos here and updos and then help me try to reenact them :)
He has also bought me hairtoys and helped me with my deep conditioning treatments, and listens to me when I go on ad nauseum about the new information I just learned.

Last night our pillows got switched, though, and he told me to take bake my satin pillow (he didn't like it!) ;)

Arctic_Mama
January 10th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Oh yes, he knows! He buys me combs and hair toys, after all, and he really loves my hair long and thus has no problem with me talking about my hobby here. He is definitely aware of TLHC :)

ButterCup02
January 11th, 2010, 12:02 AM
DH knows :) He's taken a few pics for me. He is very supportive of me having long hair, he loves it long.

Prettychild
January 11th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Hubby thinks I am nuts. Plus he hates me spending money on "hair stuff". According to him fairy dishwashing liquid is good for curls! As a side note HE has amazing hair. Life is not fair! :rolleyes:

Monsterkitti
January 11th, 2010, 03:26 AM
My SO knows I go on a 'hair forum' but nothing more specific than that. If he showed interest Id happily chat with him but as far as my hair his only interest is its habit of attacking our plugs :)

He knows I take an interest in my hair and am constantly putting stuff from the kitchen in it and ordering smelly powders but has never shown any real interest in LHC.

Gypsygirl
January 11th, 2010, 04:59 AM
My husband knows, and he gets a good chuckle out of it every once in a while. For him, my hair "obsession" (and LHC) is just another one of those "girl" things. Oh, and he never spends any amount of time online himself, so I'd say that's another reason why he's not too interested. As long as I don't cut it all off... ;)

froglet
January 11th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Oh yes, he knows! He calls LHC "the hair boards" because that's what I call it. I guess it's plural since I used to be a member of more than one. :ponder:
He has watched me go through trials and troubles with my hair as well as the times that I've absolutely loved it and has been so supportive through it all. He is the one who buys me all my hair pretties. :cloud9:

WaitingSoLong
January 11th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Mine has always known. He helps me measure my hair and take pics of my buns, etc. My hubby is very layed back and doesn't really care. He is always saying he would like me bald if that is what I wanted. (because I have threatened it several times LOL). He truly does nto care and says I am beautiful no matter what I do. He does like curls or waves though, and my hair is very straight (I refuse to heat or chemical curl). He likes it when I rope braid it then let it down the next day and it is wavy. I cannot stand it! I need STRAIGHT hair. He helped me do rag curls one day and it was a disaster. LOL.

Merewen
January 11th, 2010, 10:03 AM
He knows though I doubt he knows the actual URL. Lately he's even braiding my hair for me on occasion. :D

elizza
January 11th, 2010, 06:30 PM
He knows since we moved in together and calls it "ah, the tresses board":eyebrows: everytime he finds me browsing tlhc.
I always feel kinda caught since I have to do a lot of research for my job at home and fell somewhat "spoony" when being watched sitting in front of my lap with that concentrated face, reading for hours about hair issues. Generally I'm not a beauty boards person but with hair it's different.
Anyway, if I could choose I'd prefer he wouldn't know. In an oldfashioned way I'd like to keep such things private from him, just like I don't want him to stand behind me when bying a new lipstick, if you know what I mean.

JamieLeigh
January 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Mine knows......well, knew. And I've been made fun of plenty for it. :p

LoversLullaby
January 13th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Yes he does, he knows I'm growing out and taking care of my hair, and he calls LHC and naturally curly my "hair forums". He makes fun of me a bit for being so "girly" but he does love long hair, and has told me that many times, so it doesn't bother me a bit to be teased a bit. He's just always teasing me about lots of things. (:

Keildra
January 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM
mine knows and yes i do get made fun of for it, and alot of weird stares

neon-dream
January 13th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I don't have a SO, but a few of my friends, my sister and my Mam know I am here :).

janiejones
January 13th, 2010, 06:35 PM
After a while of being on LHC, I told him....We refer to LHC as "my forums" haha. Pretty much all he knows about it is that I come on here to discuss and research natural haircare and henna :)

EdG
January 13th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Maybe I've been on hair boards for too many years to think of a long hair board as unusual.

It seems natural to me that people who have something in common (like long hair) would want to get together. :cheese:

Of course, it would be harder to explain the dancing cheese. :D
Ed

Tonks
January 13th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Mine simply knows that I found a forum for people growing their hair long. He gave me the O.o face, so I left it at that :P He'll support the crap out of me anyway, because that's just the kind of amazing soul that he is <3

CaityBear
January 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Yup. I'm alway mentioning something I read on here or a recipe I'm trying from here or something!

He knows I adore my hair and treat it very nicely. Sometimes I get him to braid it for me and he's getting really good at it! :) But he knows to be very gentle when coming it and not to tug.

His sister is also a member. I got her hooked on here. :P

trolleypup
January 13th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Umm, yeah (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=540).

Yarn Muse
January 13th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Oh yes, he knows. He also knows I wrote a post about him thinking the dabs of henna on a cookie sheet were FUDGE and TASTING it. He thought I was the world's worst fudge maker ever.

I laughed so hard I thought I was going to have an accident. When I told him I'd posted about it here and received numerous replies, we both had a chuckle. :)

Ven
January 13th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Yes, he knows. and he humors me my LHC talk...He rolls his eyes alot though.

Tonks
January 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
And as proof for my boyfriend's amazing support of pretty much all of my endeavors, here is his text message from earlier this evening when I asked him if he'd still find me attractive if I grew my APL hair to waist length:

"Of course. I love you and all of you is attractive. Nothing as small as a change in hair style is going to affect that." and that my goal to grow my hair that long is "pretty awesome". Oh man, do I love my boyfriend. :) He's quite honestly this supportive about everything.

Then again, we're still stuck long distance for another two years. He doesn't have to experience the slew of things I'll be doing to my hair until he moves to Canada. :P

kelly-j
January 14th, 2010, 01:01 AM
My husband doesnīt know about LHC. He has never shown any interest in my hair, not even when it was very long. I think he would have ha hard time getting what I do here. "Talking about hair??":D
This is my little secret

Rivanariko
January 14th, 2010, 01:21 AM
He does. He loves my long hair and loves that I'm trying to grow it even longer. He doesn't know much about the details of LHC, or the details of my haircare, but it's a common answer to "whatcha doing?"

Stevy
January 14th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Yup! I was taking a picture of my outfit to post on my LJ yesterday and he looked quite puzzled and said 'Not the back of your head?'