PDA

View Full Version : Can you dilute EVERY water based product?

Lemur_Catta
December 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I am planning to heat style my hair for New Year's Eve, and found a heat protector cream in my closet (my mother and my sister use it). I have use heat protector sprays before, but never a cream, and I am afraid I might use too much and make my hair greasy or crunchy. So I wanted to dilute the cream in water, and then apply with my hands or maybe spray it. The first ingredient is water, so it's not like it is pure dimethicone or something like that. Could diluting it work, or would it alter the heat protecting properties?

I also have a thick conditioner which I use as a second conditioner in CWC and in some DT. Could I dilute it and use it for CO? It is cone free but contains a good amount of flaxseed oil.

Thank for your answers :)

Brat
December 26th, 2009, 02:46 PM
For a heat protectant cream, what i do is just get a little on my finger and rub it into my hands. There shouldn't be a big blob, just a nice sheen on the hands. Then run my fingers through my hair, rub fingers into palms to get get a little more, then run through the hair again. With those types of things, you really need just a little. I wouldn't try to dilute the cream.

I don't see why you couldn't dilute the conditioner, just use a second bottle and mix up a diluted batch when you need it. Preservatives (mold/batceria inhibiting stuff) won't hold up for long when you add water to a product.

Good luck, hope this helped some!