PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Antique Comb... any guesses?

PrincessFurball
December 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I got this embossed antique comb for Christmas, and I'm thinking that it is purely for decorative effect, but I'm not sure. It seems too pretty to just be a 'combing comb', and maybe sort of the wrong style/shape, but it doesn't look to me like it is really designed to hold hair up.

I'm also not sure what it's made out of. It's seamless, and the teeth have what appear to be carving strokes in between them, but on one end, I can see what looks like three tiny little air bubbles inside the comb (you can't feel them on the outside). Also, the teeth are *fairly* flexible, but the entire comb is flat-- there is no curve in the teeth or anywhere. The material it's made out of is pretty transparent. The embossing is different on each side.

I know the pictures aren't the greatest... it probably would have been better to have the background white/light, and it was hard to not get some glare.

Anybody have any guesses on its use, age, and what it's made from?

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/Blondehorse95/Misc/DSC04998.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/Blondehorse95/Misc/DSC05001.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/Blondehorse95/Misc/DSC05002.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/Blondehorse95/Misc/DSC05003.jpg

Fiferstone
December 25th, 2009, 03:10 PM
OK, I think what you've got is a japanese comb (Kushi), possibly first half of the 20th century (1900-1950), Typically these were sold in a set with a two-piece hairpin called a Koga. It's lovely, by the way, and they were making celluloid combs back in the first 2-3 decades of the 20th century, or it could date from the 40s-60s. Someone with more experience then me may be able to tell you more, but that's what I think it is.

It's lovely, enjoy :).

PrincessFurball
December 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM
OK, I think what you've got is a japanese comb (Kushi), possibly first half of the 20th century (1900-1950), Typically these were sold in a set with a two-piece hairpin called a Koga. It's lovely, by the way, and they were making celluloid combs back in the first 2-3 decades of the 20th century, or it could date from the 40s-60s. Someone with more experience then me may be able to tell you more, but that's what I think it is.

It's lovely, enjoy :).

Thanks for the info! So, if I wanted to do a google search to find out more about this type of comb/hairpin set, what name/term would I use?

Also, if it is celluloid, does anyone know what would be safe to clean it with?

Tabitha
December 25th, 2009, 03:25 PM
That's beautiful! what a lovely present.

I did a little Google following Fiferstone's post and found some comb/stick sets on eBay of varying vintages and materials:

http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_kw=kanzashi+ornamental+hairpin+kushi+kog ai+japanese+antiques

Ursula
December 25th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I don't know when or where it would be from.

To use it, I'd suggest putting your hair up in a bun with hairpins, then sliding the comb down against your scalp, so that the teeth are under your bun and the decorated part shows at the top of the bun. This would provided a decorative crown to the top of your bun.

Don't try to use it for combing, or for structural support of your bun, unless you're very sure that the teeth are strong enough to take the stress.

Fiferstone
December 25th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Be very careful about cleaning it with anything other than a cloth dampened with plain water. Something stronger might affect not only the surface of the material, but also the surface decoration. And yes, I think Ursula's right. It's a decorative item, not a detangling tool. It would be lovely as the finishing touch to a bun or other updo that is supported with hairpins/a hairstick. I don't think the teeth are long enough to do the structural support themselves.

PrincessFurball
December 25th, 2009, 05:15 PM
That's beautiful! what a lovely present.

I did a little Google following Fiferstone's post and found some comb/stick sets on eBay of varying vintages and materials:

http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_kw=kanzashi+ornamental+hairpin+kushi+kog ai+japanese+antiques

Thanks for the link! Wow, there are some lovely comb/pin sets there, not to mention spendy!! :agape:

I don't know when or where it would be from.

To use it, I'd suggest putting your hair up in a bun with hairpins, then sliding the comb down against your scalp, so that the teeth are under your bun and the decorated part shows at the top of the bun. This would provided a decorative crown to the top of your bun.

Don't try to use it for combing, or for structural support of your bun, unless you're very sure that the teeth are strong enough to take the stress.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Be very careful about cleaning it with anything other than a cloth dampened with plain water. Something stronger might affect not only the surface of the material, but also the surface decoration. And yes, I think Ursula's right. It's a decorative item, not a detangling tool. It would be lovely as the finishing touch to a bun or other updo that is supported with hairpins/a hairstick. I don't think the teeth are long enough to do the structural support themselves.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, too-- strictly decorative. I do wonder if I could use it a bit for styling the front of my hair, since I can't actually wear something decorative in my hair, besides just for fun a little bit at home.

Ursula
December 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I do wonder if I could use it a bit for styling the front of my hair, since I can't actually wear something decorative in my hair, besides just for fun a little bit at home.

Why do you say that you can't wear something decorative in your hair?

Even if you can't wear it for work, you could probably wear it for other occasions, such as an evening out with your SO or friends, to a party, to weddings, etc.

If your hair is such that you can't wear it up now, you may be able to do it in the future, your grow your hair long enough to wear up in a bun (if it is too short) or if you trim back enough so that buns are easier (if too long.)

PrincessFurball
December 25th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Why do you say that you can't wear something decorative in your hair?

Even if you can't wear it for work, you could probably wear it for other occasions, such as an evening out with your SO or friends, to a party, to weddings, etc.

If your hair is such that you can't wear it up now, you may be able to do it in the future, your grow your hair long enough to wear up in a bun (if it is too short) or if you trim back enough so that buns are easier (if too long.)

I can't wear something decorative in my hair for religious reasons. :) If you go to my profile page, you will see that I cover my head, so wearing something decorative would be pretty useless, lol!

I do want to try wearing it in my hair next time I wash it, though, just for fun, and to take pictures! :D

Ursula
December 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I can't wear something decorative in my hair for religious reasons. :) If you go to my profile page, you will see that I cover my head, so wearing something decorative would be pretty useless, lol!

I do want to try wearing it in my hair next time I wash it, though, just for fun, and to take pictures! :D

Ah. So it isn't that you can't, but rather that you choose not to. I guess I was answering the wrong question!

Akiko
December 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM
That is a beautiful comb. Those are called "Kazari gushi," literally translated "Decorative comb." But nothing meaningful comes up when I google search in English alphabet. I guess it's just called "comb" in English. Like other says, usually it comes as a set with kogai (double-ended stick) or/and kanzashi (single-ended stick).

Depending on the material, you can use it as a regular comb although it's small. But not sure the material of your comb is strong enough.... You don't want to break any tooth.

Redheaded Raven
December 25th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I agree that it is a Japanese comb and is a very lovely specimen of one. Someone must care very much to give you such a wonderful piece.
You now have a lovely piece of hair art now.

Fractalsofhair
December 25th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Gorgeous comb! Just curious, if you cover your hair for religious reasons, I presume you might leave it uncovered in the future if you're married or such and with your partner, or alone? Or use a sheer veil upon occasion that the comb could show thru? A lot of Muslim women I know leave their hair uncovered with their family, and most Jewish women that I know that cover their hair leave it uncovered with their husbands. If so, you could wear it for those occasions! Given that you don't totally cover your hair, you could put it on the side of your hair!

Other than that, you could use it to jokingly detangle your hair once it's totally detangled just for "princessy" moments.

Medievalmaniac
December 26th, 2009, 07:41 AM
It is certainly a Kazari gushi, but it appears to me to be from the mid-twentieth century, rather than the earlier time suggested, probably somewhere between 1940s and 1960s, when this sort of gold deco style was popular in Japanese style. It's based on much earlier, 19th century gilded Japanese art styles. Very pretty piece!

Fiferstone
December 26th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Ah, now that I see your public profile pic I get why you can't really wear it as a decorative piece. If you're gentle with it, it should work just fine as a fine toothed comb. Thanks also to MedievalManiac for clarifying the time period (I'm no expert on asian decorative art). Enjoy your lovely new hair toy.

PrincessFurball
December 26th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Ah. So it isn't that you can't, but rather that you choose not to. I guess I was answering the wrong question!

Yes, I guess you could say that. It's not that it's physically impossible for me to wear it, but due to my beliefs and religious affiliations, I am not allowed to wear it. :)

That is a beautiful comb. Those are called "Kazari gushi," literally translated "Decorative comb." But nothing meaningful comes up when I google search in English alphabet. I guess it's just called "comb" in English. Like other says, usually it comes as a set with kogai (double-ended stick) or/and kanzashi (single-ended stick).

Depending on the material, you can use it as a regular comb although it's small. But not sure the material of your comb is strong enough.... You don't want to break any tooth.

The teeth are quite strong-- it is actually surprisingly heavy for such a little comb!

Thank you for the info!

Gorgeous comb! Just curious, if you cover your hair for religious reasons, I presume you might leave it uncovered in the future if you're married or such and with your partner, or alone? Or use a sheer veil upon occasion that the comb could show thru? A lot of Muslim women I know leave their hair uncovered with their family, and most Jewish women that I know that cover their hair leave it uncovered with their husbands. If so, you could wear it for those occasions! Given that you don't totally cover your hair, you could put it on the side of your hair!

Other than that, you could use it to jokingly detangle your hair once it's totally detangled just for "princessy" moments.

Yes, if I ever am married, there would be times that I would leave my head uncovered/hair down when I am with my husband in private. And you're right, it would be fun to wear it for that! ;)

It is certainly a Kazari gushi, but it appears to me to be from the mid-twentieth century, rather than the earlier time suggested, probably somewhere between 1940s and 1960s, when this sort of gold deco style was popular in Japanese style. It's based on much earlier, 19th century gilded Japanese art styles. Very pretty piece!

I bet you are right. Thanks for the input!

Ah, now that I see your public profile pic I get why you can't really wear it as a decorative piece. If you're gentle with it, it should work just fine as a fine toothed comb. Thanks also to MedievalManiac for clarifying the time period (I'm no expert on asian decorative art). Enjoy your lovely new hair toy.

I did use it a little bit last night on the front of my hair to comb back the strays, and it worked just fine for that. It was fun to use such a pretty thing for a change, instead of my plain old fine-tooth rat-tail comb, too! :D

Thanks everyone!

klcqtee
December 26th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I'm not sure if you cover all of your hair or just from say, the ears on back. If you leave the front bit uncovered (even just two or three inches), you can use it as a comb to hold back your bangs (or where your bangs would be, if they're long). Your hair would still be covered, following your religious beliefs, and you could show off your comb for special occasions.

I'm not sure if this would work for you or not though, with your religious practices. Hope it helps though!

Fiferstone
December 27th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I think that part of PrincessFurball's beliefs is to be plainly dressed, so no ornamentation for ornamentation's sake alone.

morguebabe
December 27th, 2009, 07:14 AM
so no ornamentation for ornamentation's sake alone.

but if its serving a purpose is it still ornamentaion?
Could she use it to clip hair up, and then cover it?
I dont know.

PrincessFurball
December 27th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I think that part of PrincessFurball's beliefs is to be plainly dressed, so no ornamentation for ornamentation's sake alone.

Yes, you're correct. :) I can still play with it at home sometimes for fun, though, and I intend to do so! :D

klcqtee
December 28th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Well, I guess I'm no help.

Enjoy playing with your new comb!

Gypsy
December 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM
You got it as a gift? Can you ask the giver what they know about it?
Also, the giver knows you cover your head, so maybe they thought it was an actual comb and not an ornament?:confused:

SimplyLonghair
December 28th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I think that it is lovely. I have a very small horn comb, while not as lovely is what I use to get rid of fairy knots in my hair. It's small size seems to aid in that.
It is a very lovely gift though.
I am so into pics of pretties. :D

squiggyflop
December 30th, 2009, 11:07 AM
i have no idea but i almost fainted from how pretty it is

tamif27
January 22nd, 2010, 06:34 AM
I love and sort of collect Japanese hair stuffs.

I'm no expert on age, but I do know that this is a KUSHI (the usual spelling) comb. These are the combs that are worn in the traditional Japanese hairstyles, right at the crown of the head, see picture:

http://www.kyy.saitama-u.ac.jp/~yagi/image/momoware_0.JPEG

The way it's done is that the front of the hair (see the little poof across the forehead) is drawn up and into a ponytail and the comb thrust thru the little ponytail just before the larger bun behind.

As has been said, they usually come in sets 'kushi' and 'kogai'. The general term for Japanese hairpins is 'kanzashi' which is getting misused in the States for the little folded flowers which are actually called 'hana-tsumami' or, when put as hair decorations, 'hana-kanzashi'

If you want to see more on Japanese hairstyles, some keywords are: momoware, shimada, ofuku... there's lots out there about them, the hairstyles really are works of art as are the pins which go into them

Zaane
January 22nd, 2010, 06:36 AM
it's beautiful!! I want one now :)

tamif27
January 22nd, 2010, 06:44 AM
Oh holy cats, you wouldn't believe... I started out just wanting to learn how to fold hana-tsumami, next thing I'm just balled off all up into kanzashi, and now i'm collecting the long pins (mimikaki-kanzashi) with the little bent up ends, awa the various other styles. Japanese hairtoys are so kewl but dang it they're proud of 'em (expensive)

an OIRAN. just lookit dem hair purdys
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/desu1/Bijin/1e72a347.jpg

Fiferstone
January 22nd, 2010, 06:25 PM
Is the hairstyle in your first pic a momoware? THe elaborate wigs are most often worn by Maiko, correct?

Disclosure: I did a book on Japanese history once back in my checkered editorial past :).

chotee
January 30th, 2010, 09:15 PM
what a lovely comb! Sometimes you own things which really end up on the dresser...but every time you look it you feel nice, it motivates you to look after your hair, and sometimes i even just dress my hair only for myself like a crown braid or something which i never wear outside....so maybe you can use it to enjoy your hair privately.....