PDA

View Full Version : OCM is ruining my hair!

Magdalene
December 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I love what OCM does for my skin, but the oil is migrating into my hair and making me look like I have dark roots, even after I wash it. Any ideas how to stop this from happening? I hate to give up OCM, but I don't want to look like I need a dye job, either!

Speckla
December 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Don't use the oil close to your hairline? Maybe just water wash that area and scrub really well when you do wash your hair?

bumblebums
December 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I've never had this problem. I have dark hair, though, so maybe I just don't notice :)

I would suggest maybe putting an elastic hair band around your hairline, so that it can absorb the oil instead of your hair?

My problem with OCM is getting it out of my eyes and nostrils. I don't want to rub my eyes with a terry washcloth. I do love OCM, though, and use it at least four times a week on my face and sometimes even on parts of my body.

pepperedmoth
December 25th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Wear a shower cap?

lapushka
December 25th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Stay away from your hairline for about 1/8 of an inch. Don't make the oil go all the way up to your roots.

sally_neuf
December 25th, 2009, 01:06 PM
What about gently applying vaselina in your hair line?? It works as a barrier

Debra83
December 25th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I can't think what OCM is right now?

MommaRalph
December 25th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Oil Cleansing Method

Carolyn
December 25th, 2009, 02:05 PM
How often do you wash your hair? Could you throw in a scalp wash between regular washes?

spidermom
December 25th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I'd use a thick fabric hair band to pull all my hair back and completely obscure my hairline before OCM. A bandana or scarf would work if you can't come up with a head-band.

Magdalene
December 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I'm staying away from my hairline, and the problem persists even after I wash my hair. I'm kind of at wits end.

ShadowSwallow
December 25th, 2009, 07:20 PM
What's your oil mix and when do you apply it?

Castor oil is known for darkening hair, so eliminating that should help. Also, I only OCM before I shower, so I shampoo right after I get it in my hair.

Magdalene
December 26th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I'm using pure castor oil. I had been applying it with my fingers, but I just got a roll-on that I've been using instead (less messy). I usually use a cotton ball to wipe off most of the excess before steaming the rest off. I usually do this in the shower.

BranwenWolf
December 26th, 2009, 01:39 PM
For face masks, OCM and general skin care, I tie a bandana "do-rag" style around my head, and let it go about 1/4 inch past my hairline. This gives me a boundary to stop applying whatever, and if you get the bandana dirty you can wash it.
Of all places, Hobby Lobby has a very impressive collection of bandanas.

Magdalene
December 26th, 2009, 02:02 PM
The problem isn't while I'm washing my face. The oil seems to be migrating during the night while I sleep.

bumblebums
December 27th, 2009, 12:43 PM
100% castor oil might be a bit much. It's a thick oil that's hard to get off your skin completely. Have you tried cutting it with another, lighter oil? I think most people don't use more than 50% castor, and even that is just for super-oily skin. I would try avocado or sesame or something similar, and use 10-20% castor in the mix to start with.

Also, from what you are describing, I am not sure that it is OCM that's making your hair oily. My hair starts getting oily at the crown (incl. hairline) a few days after a wash whether I use OCM or not. I assume you've tried washing with other methods, including a simple water+washcloth, in between OCM washes, and it doesn't happen then? It's hard to know for sure what makes your body do stuff sometimes.

teela1978
December 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'd try switching oils. When I was doing OCM I started with a 50/50 olive oil/castor mix, but ended up just using straight olive oil. It worked fine for me, and was a bit more accessible.

Amara
December 27th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I'd do the terry cloth headband. Very stylish, too. :D

Magdalene
December 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I should clarify- my hair is not getting oily from the OCM, its getting darker. I don't think it's growing that way because it suddenly had 3 inches of darkness that werent there the day before.

Altocumulus
December 27th, 2009, 03:20 PM
The problem isn't while I'm washing my face. The oil seems to be migrating during the night while I sleep.

That happens to me too. It's not permanent though - it washes out the next time I wash my hair. I use jojoba oil with a few drops of lavender EO for my OCM. Maybe you should switch oils in case the castor oil is darkening your hair?

spidermom
December 27th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I find tissues or a warm washcloth better for removing oil from my face than a cotton ball. I will occasionally do a coconut oil face massage and have no problems with oil migrating after I finish.

Debra83
December 28th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Oil Cleansing Method

Thank you! Solved that mystery!

Magdalene
December 28th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I find tissues or a warm washcloth better for removing oil from my face than a cotton ball. I will occasionally do a coconut oil face massage and have no problems with oil migrating after I finish.

I use the cotton ball to take off the eye makeup, then finish up with the hot cloth (steaming). I used to just do the cloth but the cotton ball seems to help.