PDA

View Full Version : How to remove excess oil from hair?

Dreams_in_Pink
December 25th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Let's say, you just stepped out the shower and went to oil your damp hair. When your hair dried, you realized you've gone too far with oils. How do you correct this situation without washing your hair? Is it possible to remove excess oil from head without shampoo?

bumblebums
December 25th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Put cornstarch in, then brush it out.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Put cornstarch in, then brush it out.

...wouldn't it be hard to brush all the starch out the hair? :confused:

bumblebums
December 25th, 2009, 08:55 AM
That's the only way I know. If you don't want to wash it and you don't want to use cornstarch as dry shampoo, then wash it out.

Sissy
December 25th, 2009, 08:57 AM
hmm, when you say without washing do you mean just without shampoo or without even using conditioner and getting it wet again?

I don't know if there is a way to get the excess oil out without at least re-conditioning unless you just wait it out for a day or so to see if the hair soaks up more oil.

The only way I've been able to get out heavy oilings without shampooing is to apply a lot of conditioner to the dry hair and then rinse it out.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM
by "not washing" i mean without letting water go through your hair.

I was actually thinking about a solution that would break down the oil ...wonder if there's anything like that :D

marikamt
December 25th, 2009, 09:47 AM

I was actually thinking about a solution that would break down the oil ...wonder if there's anything like that :D

Just the powder as stated above (I have heard both cornstarch and baby powder)... you don't need a TON, just a light sprinkle, you can always add more as needed........ i would sprinkle on hands, shake off excess, run thru hair, brush, repeat.....

Dreams_in_Pink
December 25th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Just the powder as stated above (I have heard both cornstarch and baby powder)... you don't need a TON, just a light sprinkle, you can always add more as needed........ i would sprinkle on hands, shake off excess, run thru hair, brush, repeat.....

yea...might try that :)

marikamt
December 25th, 2009, 09:52 AM
yea...might try that :)

With your hair type/ texture, you may be okay just "powdering" the roots and not have to worry about the length.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 25th, 2009, 09:56 AM
With your hair type/ texture, you may be okay just "powdering" the roots and not have to worry about the length.

exactly what i'll do :D my hair length is very dry and frizzy, unlike the roots. When i accidentally put oil on my scalp, it looks like my hair's dirty :rolleyes:

Speckla
December 25th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Don't waste a good chance for a deep conditioning with oil. Put a plastic cap or plastic bag on your head and let the heat and oil deep condition your hair. It may absorb more into your hair and you may not need to rinse it out. Or put your hair into some braids and you'll get a DT without it showing. :)

lesbia
December 25th, 2009, 11:14 AM
you can put talcum powder or chickpea flour on your hair, they absorb the oil. Then, brush your hair to remove the reimander.

i wish i had helpful to you :D

Sissy
December 25th, 2009, 11:18 AM

ahh, thanks for the clarification. I wish there was a solution like that but I do not know of one aside from the power, cornstarch already mentioned. I don't think I'd like the powder in my hair... I think it would show in my color and make my hair seem dull and dirty.

Because of this I only usually use oil as a deep treatment and then sit under a heat cap and then wash it out or do another heat cap treatment with conditioner and then wash it out. I sometimes apply a very small amount of Nightlooming's Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil to my dry hair length and that helps it shine without looking greasy. But, I really don't mess around with adding any other oils to my dry hair because it usually results in greasies!

Dreams_in_Pink
December 25th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Don't waste a good chance for a deep conditioning with oil. Put a plastic cap or plastic bag on your head and let the heat and oil deep condition your hair. It may absorb more into your hair and you may not need to rinse it out. Or put your hair into some braids and you'll get a DT without it showing. :)

Does this work with every oil? If it does, do i need to use a blowdrier to heat it up?

you can put talcum powder or chickpea flour on your hair, they absorb the oil. Then, brush your hair to remove the reimander.

i wish i had helpful to you :D

I'll try that sometime, when i don't need to look glam. Because i'm very afraid of grey-looking hair from the powder :(

well yes that was helpful :D

Dreams_in_Pink
December 25th, 2009, 11:25 AM
ahh, thanks for the clarification. I wish there was a solution like that but I do not know of one aside from the power, cornstarch already mentioned. I don't think I'd like the powder in my hair... I think it would show in my color and make my hair seem dull and dirty.

Because of this I only usually use oil as a deep treatment and then sit under a heat cap and then wash it out or do another heat cap treatment with conditioner and then wash it out. I sometimes apply a very small amount of Nightlooming's Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil to my dry hair length and that helps it shine without looking greasy. But, I really don't mess around with adding any other oils to my dry hair because it usually results in greasies!

yes, that part about powders really concern me. I will def give it a try though, when i don't need to look perfect.

My hair likes oils a lot;most of the time a few drops is never enough. I noticed hair looks greasier in patches when oiled after wash, maybe water prevents oil from moving all over the hair...or maybe i just don't know how to oil when wet :confused:

bumblebums
December 25th, 2009, 12:13 PM
It sounds like you used too much. Unless you are going for a pre-wash oil treatment, you don't need to put it anywhere near your scalp--not even anywhere above your ears.

Some people oil wet hair, others oil dry hair. You can try both and see what works for you. It's very much depends on your hair type, condition, etc. There are no rules.

Speckla
December 25th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Does this work with every oil? If it does, do i need to use a blowdrier to heat?

Most oils work well for a DT. You don't need a blowdryer because the heat from your body works well. A bag or plastic shower caps acts like insulation and holds the heat in.

nowxisxforever
December 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Does this work with every oil? If it does, do i need to use a blowdrier to heat it up?

I'll try that sometime, when i don't need to look glam. Because i'm very afraid of grey-looking hair from the powder :(

well yes that was helpful :D

I recall a girl here put a little cocoa powder in her mixture. Try that-- it darkens the color of the powder and makes your head smell fantastic.

MommaRalph
December 25th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Also search for Nanny Pauline's Airing Powder on here. It would help you brush the oil through...

Valerie

Dreams_in_Pink
December 25th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Most oils work well for a DT. You don't need a blowdryer because the heat from your body works well. A bag or plastic shower caps acts like insulation and holds the heat in.

that's great to hear, maybe i can leave the cap in overnight :) thanks!

I recall a girl here put a little cocoa powder in her mixture. Try that-- it darkens the color of the powder and makes your head smell fantastic.

I'll keep that in mind, in case i screw up with white powder :D

spidermom
December 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM
When this happens, I just braid or bun my hair the first day. On the second day I often find that my hair has absorbed all the excess oil and no longer looks oily. If it doesn't work, I keep it braided or bunned until I get around to washing it again.

Laylah
December 25th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I can't use the cornstarch method because my hair is black and it would look really funny- and I don't have cocoa powder. If there is too much oil in my hair I just braid it up and the oil should be gone within a few hours. You can also comb or brush your hair after oiling to distribute the oil so that it doesn't look so greasy in certain spots.

Ursula
December 25th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I don't know of a good way to get oil out of dark hair (particularly if it is wavy or curly and doesn't do well for brushing) that doesn't involve some sort of wash.

I have good results with CO washing, so what I would probably do is add a lot more oil, for a deep treatment, and then wear it braided or bunned until my next hair-wash. Oily hair that looks lank and dirty down often looks sleek and shiny when held in a bun or braid.

Then I'd do a CO wash (I do CO in the shower, conditioning my hair at the beginning of the shower, then rinsing at the end) whenever I showered next, using extra conditioner, and adding more conditioner before rinsing, if it felt as if the oil hadn't broken up when I was massaging my hair prior to rinsing.

piratejenny23
December 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Fun With Cheesecloth:

using cheesecloth sometimes helps me get excess dirt/oil out of my hair. you can either fold a piece of cheesecloth around a lock of hair and gently pull downwards, or if it's the scalp, stroke it over that area. i have also wrapped cheesecloth around a brush, and i find that picks up a lot of dirt & oil! i did wrap about 30 layers around, though, to make it very padded so i could brush my hair for longer periods of time without scraping my scalp--and i have several cut layers on top so that i can remove them as they get dirty.

i find the cheesecloth-wrapped brush also helps distribute oil lightly and evenly, since i have a tendency to over-oil. i put 2-4 drops of oil on the cheesecloth, then brush my hair.

i have tried various powders (cornstarch, baby powder, baking soda--sparkly!!!), for cleaning my hair, and always have a hard time brushing it all out. maybe i over-powder, but less doesn't seem to soak up any oil. has anyone mentioned applying the powder of choice and letting it sit a few minutes before brushing it out? because although i haven't had much luck with this method, i think the waiting is an important step that isn't always mentioned.

and one more cheesecloth use, "the powder puff"...sprinkle the cornstarch/what-have-you on the cheesecloth, fold in half, then pat your hair...this helps avoid messes and dumping too much powder on your head!

i'm still in the experimenting phase; i would like to find a method that can delay a wash in this cold weather, or when i need to leave for work NOW!

good luck!

piratejenny23
December 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I noticed hair looks greasier in patches when oiled after wash, maybe water prevents oil from moving all over the hair...or maybe i just don't know how to oil when wet :confused:

this could be because hair sometimes has different porosity in areas, and absorbs oil at different rates. maybe your technique is great and the oilier areas are very very healthy! :)

Dreams_in_Pink
December 26th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Fun With Cheesecloth:

using cheesecloth sometimes helps me get excess dirt/oil out of my hair.

i find the cheesecloth-wrapped brush also helps distribute oil lightly and evenly, since i have a tendency to over-oil. i put 2-4 drops of oil on the cheesecloth, then brush my hair.

has anyone mentioned applying the powder of choice and letting it sit a few minutes before brushing it out? because although i haven't had much luck with this method, i think the waiting is an important step that isn't always mentioned.

and one more cheesecloth use, "the powder puff"...sprinkle the cornstarch/what-have-you on the cheesecloth, fold in half, then pat your hair...this helps avoid messes and dumping too much powder on your head!

some awesome advice you've given there!!! :D *notes them down for future reference*

this could be because hair sometimes has different porosity in areas, and absorbs oil at different rates. maybe your technique is great and the oilier areas are very very healthy! :)

ehh, i don't think my hair's healthy at all, i used to be addicted to flat irons :(

Then I'd do a CO wash (I do CO in the shower, conditioning my hair at the beginning of the shower, then rinsing at the end) whenever I showered next, using extra conditioner, and adding more conditioner before rinsing, if it felt as if the oil hadn't broken up when I was massaging my hair prior to rinsing.

I'm not too positive about CO washes, as my scalp's kinda sensitive and i'm afraid to put anything "commercial" on it, it flakes almost instantly :/