PDA

View Full Version : Is this the result of an oil treatment or something else... ?

xoxophelia
December 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM
So, for a while now I have been scaling back the number of times I wash my hair in a week. Usually to about twice per week. I don't rinse my hair inbetween. Last week because break started, I was able to go about 6 days without washing it and did my first oil treatment.

But, for some reason my scalp felt sort of irritated. Like my hairs all want to stay in the direction they dried in and if I move them around they don't like it?

I also noticed that I have dandruff after washing my hair which I have never had before.

Why would this be? :confused:

Runzel
December 24th, 2009, 06:28 PM
It could be an allergic reaction to the oil, especially if this is the first time you've exposed your skin (scalp) to it. Try patch-testing it on the skin on the underside of your forearm and leave it on there for a while to see if it results in irritation.

xoxophelia
December 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Oh interesting.. I didn't know that was possible. I put a little honey in the mixture as well if that makes any difference.

My first guess was that it had something to do with not washing it for longer. But that didn't really make sense to me.

I will check for the allergy though.

Gumball
December 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM
As for hair wanting to stay in the direction it dried in I can completely understand a sore feeling if you move it around. That happens sometimes, and it's the little muscles holding on to the hair follicles. It's like if you get a case of phone elbow. You get used to being in one position and then when you change it an initial ache can occur.

xoxophelia
December 24th, 2009, 10:46 PM
As for hair wanting to stay in the direction it dried in I can completely understand a sore feeling if you move it around. That happens sometimes, and it's the little muscles holding on to the hair follicles. It's like if you get a case of phone elbow. You get used to being in one position and then when you change it an initial ache can occur.

Is it from always wearing my hair down with the combination of letting it get a bit oily before washing it out? It is actually uncomfortably sore.. Oo...

Oh and I didn't know there were little muscles in there.. guess you learn something new every day.

Gumball
December 24th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Is it from always wearing my hair down with the combination of letting it get a bit oily before washing it out? It is actually uncomfortably sore.. Oo...

Oh and I didn't know there were little muscles in there.. guess you learn something new every day.

They're the muscles that are responsible for making your hair stand on end when it's cold (goosebumps). I don't know if it's because you let it get a bit oily, because when that happens to me it doesn't bother me. Could it potentially be from not doing anything? I hearken back to phone elbow. If you move your arm a lot you don't get it, but if you hold it still and bent then you do. Maybe if you don't move your hair around the muscles get used to that position so when they do move it's achy.

xoxophelia
December 25th, 2009, 12:44 PM
^That could be it.. but I didn't wash my hair last night, and for some reason it has nearly totally went away.

I'm going to do that oil test probably while I bake the cake for tonight..

I was rubbing my scalp though last night. Could explain it :)