PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about my haircare routine?

georgia_peach
December 24th, 2009, 09:43 AM
My usually itchy, flaky, scaly scalp has been especially bad the last 6 months or so. I've done NW, then tried CO, also SLS in an attempt to rememdy this problem. I don't blow dry or heat style or use any products other than shampoo, conditioner and baq henna. I was S&C every three to four days, but my scalp got way out of control. So now I S&C every other day just to try to remove the scaling and stop the itching. I use T-Sal or Selsun Blue moisturizing formula then always follow up with Neutrogena Triple Moisture conditioner and leave it on for several minutes. I let air-dry mostly before using a MP wide tooth comb to gently detangle. That's it.

I want terminal length hair, but I'm afraid of what these scalp treatments might be doing to my hair. Any ideas or suggestions are most appreciated!

kdaniels8811
December 24th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I recall tea tree oil being used on irritable scalps, it soothed the irritation and promoted growth. You may want to search the threads for more information, I have not tried it myself. Good luck!

Fractalsofhair
December 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Washing your scalp alone will not substantially reduce your terminal length, provided it's done daily. Keeping your scalp happy will make your hair grow longer. Washing hair, on the scalp, is not terribly damaging for most people. Hedi W has made some really good posts on scalp issues, maybe PM her for some advice?

spidermom
December 24th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I think it will help your hair to put a small amount of oil or conditioner on the length before you shampoo your scalp, but definitely do what it takes to keep your scalp healthy before you worry about the condition of your hair.

emi77
December 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Have you double check the products you have been using- as in using the conditioner for a few weeks then the shampoo (without that conditioner) and seeing its effect on your scalp.

I had a terrible, and I mean terrible, itchy scalp for about a year with one conditioner. As soon as I did this method, and worked out it was the conditioner, bye bye itchy scalp! Obviously if you've don this already and positive its not the problem, then discount this info!

Merry Christmas- I hope you find you answer soon!

georgia_peach
December 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks everyone! I will do some more experimenting to see if I can narrow down a possible problem product. I also like the Tea Tree Oil idea. Will let you know!

Sissy
December 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I recall tea tree oil being used on irritable scalps, it soothed the irritation and promoted growth. You may want to search the threads for more information, I have not tried it myself. Good luck!

yes, I also think tea tree oil and products containing tea tree oil could help. Also, how about scritching with a fine toothed comb?

georgia_peach
December 26th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Thanks Sissy! I have a horn comb that I haven't used in a while and will give that a try, too. Hope you're having a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

BlndeInDisguise
December 26th, 2009, 06:23 AM
You could also try spraying some diluted ACV on your scalp for a while before washing. Hope you find a solution to your problem. :)

pinchbeck
December 26th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Tea tree oil has already been mentioned, but rosemary oil has not. Rosemary is also an effective treatment for an itchy scalp. I have also read that Cedarwood oil is as well! Both smell woodsy and wonderful.

In addition to these eo's is Neem Seed oil. It is supposed to aid in scalp problems. However, this is a stinky product smelling of sulfur and burnt garlic. Neem Tree Farms in Florida sells Neem Seed Oil shampoo that is sold in health food stores. The products are called Theraneem. I haven't tried them because my scalp issues respond well to the eo's mentioned above.

NurseMama
December 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I have been battling SD for some time and have finally come upon my golden 3 things that keep my scalp flake and sore free:

1) Poo bars followed by ACV rinse. I am sensitive to the SLS in most shampoos and to excessive chemicals in general. The ACV rinse is more for the overall condition of my hair and not for my scalp although it does help to remove buildup from my scalp.

2) Monistat. I started using it to help with growth, and found a side effect that it really helps with my SD! I am thinking that my type of SD is due to some sort of fungal infection and the MN helps to keep the fungal growth down.

3) Keeping my brush/ combs extremely clean. I wash them thoroughly at least once a week.

Good luck!

georgia_peach
December 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks again, each of you! Those are all great suggestions and I will be trying each of them.

P. S. Hope you are having a wonderful holiday and wishing you a Happy New Year!