PDA

View Full Version : How has your hair changed?

Pixna
December 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
For many people, their hair changes at various stages or times of their life: puberty, pregnancy/birth, illness or the treatments for illness, stress, menopause, and more. For me, over the past few years my hair has gotten thinner and surprisingly straighter (and, well, grayer, too).

At what time(s) in your life has your hair changed and in what way(s)?

Tangerine
December 24th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I was born with a full head of raven black hair, but over my first year that slowly turned pretty blonde. By my second birthday I had thick dark blonde hair, and it has practically stayed like that since then. I do think my hair has darkened a little more over time, but also bleaches naturally in the summer so it is a bit of a mixed bag.

I had a feeling my hair grew extra fast during the last stages of both my pregnancies. The first time my hair was pretty short. Second time I had layered hair between APL and BSL. Both times I had a big postnatal shed about 3 months afterwards. I just happen to have such a ridiculous amount of hair that it hardly reduces my thickness. Although the second time I definitely had a visibly wider parting and receded hairline. Luckily it grew back quickly (meaning I now have crazy antenna regrowth).

Over the last few months I have started finding a few silvers, both new growth and existing hairs turning grey at the roots. It is hardly noticable yet though ...

bumblebums
December 24th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Comparing my kid pictures and my hair now, I can see that my hair has gotten MUCH wavier and poofier. A lot of things have changed between then and now, though--I have much softer water, and I live in a more humid climate--so I can't be sure that these changes are due to age alone.

I also thought that my hair got lighter, but this has turned out to be damage from poor handling. My hair is back to its original dark brown color, save for a few grays.

Leena7
December 24th, 2009, 09:05 AM
My hair hasn't changed that much, but when I was about 3-4 years old, my hair changed from golden blonde to brown. Also, during puberty, my hair got very oily, but now its normal again, not oily or dry. The texture has always been straight with a few body waves.

Teakafrog
December 24th, 2009, 12:17 PM
My hair changed from blonde as a baby to light brown by puberty, has darkened even more since then. The big change was going from slightly wavy (2a ish) as a child to curly (about 3a) once I hit about college age. It's stayed there ever since, and I love it!

Speckla
December 24th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I started out life bald and remained so for the first 4 years...picture an onion with a pink bow taped down....that was me for my preschool pictures. Then it started to get thicker but my curls stayed the same. My hair was white blonde and got darker blonde until I was 10 and it started turning brown. My curl pattern has always been the same. Now I'm about 20% grey but my curls are still the same.

InTheCity
December 24th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I somehow lost my curls.

Years ago I routinely used flat irons and chemical straighteners on my hair. I also cut it pixie-short and I could swear after my last pixie cut, it grew back straighter. I used to have hair that would bounce into ringlets when it got wet and now it's only wavy. (Except of course the little patch behind my right ear which still spirals.)

I think it's just that over time hair can change.

Bellona
December 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I started out with curly white blonde hair, then it straightened out to probably 2a. When I was about 13 it darkened a bit and got much coarser and wurlier. I haven't had any other significant changes in my life, but I saw picture of my mother's hair when she was pregnant with me, and it was so straight and black. It's usually about 2c and dark brown. I always thought that was weird.

Gumball
December 24th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Easy enough to paraphrase!

I started out a Charlie Brown baby. Big head, little hair. Then up until early Elementary School I had probably 3a/3b hair easy. Curly and expansive. Later on until late Middle School it was wavy, probably 2b/2c. From then until now it's morphed into the 2c/3a it is today!

Captain Nikki
December 24th, 2009, 01:02 PM
All through primary & high school, right up until i got it cut short at 18, my hair was about APL & fairly straight. I started to grow it out atl 23. As it grew back it got more & more wavy. Now it's at the longest it's ever been & the curliest.

BonnyJ
December 24th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I was always able to grow thick, light brown hair quickly and now since menopause or getting sick it has thinned but still grows. I think some of the major thinning has been caused by medications and multiple surgeries.
Also since thinning it has become gently curly. Never had anything but straight hair till now.

eyesofsummer
December 24th, 2009, 01:24 PM
My hair has gotten much darker and coarser. It's always been curly, but I think it's gotten more curly as I've aged.

Pear Martini
December 24th, 2009, 02:13 PM
When I got highlights all over my head two years ago my S waves turned into straight, prickly pieces :(

ETA:

My hair has gotten much darker and coarser. It's always been curly, but I think it's gotten more curly as I've aged.

If that is you in your siggy, you have such awesome hair. I love the curls and the color.

twilight_faerie
December 24th, 2009, 02:18 PM
When I was little (like ages 3 to 7 or so) my hair was light reddish-brown and slightly wavy with actual spiral curls just at the ends. I've no idea what age those curls went away, probably 7. My hair also darkened to medium brown and stayed there till, I think, pretty recently. I don't know if I'm just imagining it, but it seems like my hair has gotten even a little darker, between medium and dark brown, in recent years. With henna, my hair looks *so* dark, quite a bit darker than I remember my natural color.

pinkbunny
December 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I was born platinum blonde (almost white) and it darkened up through puberty to a very dark blonde (light golden brown?). I wish it had stayed platinum...

Pear Martini
December 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I was born platinum blonde (almost white) and it darkened up through puberty to a very dark blonde (light golden brown?). I wish it had stayed platinum...

If its still light, I'm sure honey lightening would work well. Even conventional bleach may not be too bad since your hair is already light

CrisDee
December 24th, 2009, 03:43 PM
As a baby, I had curly strawberry blonde hair that darkened over the years to a reddish blondish brown. My mom cut my hair when I was 2, thinking it would encourage the curl, but it ended up poker straight. The curls never came back until some time after I turned 40 - then it was more wavy, very uneven, with straight ends, not very attractive. The grays started coming in just before I hit 30, so I started chemically dying it red. I cut it all off and started henna at the beginning of this year, and the henna seems to have taken out all the wave, it's now very straight again. Just when I've gotten my hair figured out, it changes again...:rolleyes:

ysabet
December 24th, 2009, 03:52 PM
My hair seems to be very gradually lightening over the years - at this rate I'll hit strawberry blonde in my mid40s, I think.

rogue_psyche
December 24th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I was born with a full head of red hair. As a young girl my hair was a light blonde. It darkened to a dirtyish goldenish blonde by middle school. I dyed my hair green sophmore year of high school and ever since my hair has been a light ash brown that bleaches golden blonde towards the ends with the sun.

I don't think I've had any texture changes, but perhaps different strategies to work with the texture. I learned that I would have "messy hair" (slightly wavy) if I didn't brush it before it dried. But If I did brush it it would be almost straight. I'd like to encourage my waves but have yet to work up the courage. :o

julliams
December 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM
My hair was fine, full and very straight as a child. It bounced. I had it very long as a nine year old and it was still dead straight. I hit puberty and it wasnt "frizzy". Actually it was just wavy but I didn't know how to look after it so I thought I had frizzy hair and so began a life of heat styling which lasted until I got "Curly Girl" and realised I had curly hair.

Now my hair is whatever I want it to be without heat styling. But mostly it's my #1 priority of my beauty regime. I want it long and I want it to look healthy so I know I have to take care of it.

Juliette

talecon
December 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM
when I got pregnant last summer my hair went from very curly to sum messy wavy kinda thing I couldnt manage so I just let it hang or straightened it. I thought it was just my hormones and my hair would go back to curly after I had the baby but 8 months later its just the same mess. Also I'd have to say pregnancy all thinned out my hair more even when i already have very thin hair. the shedding from post-pregnancy was amazing - not in a good way amazing either. I'm surprised I'm not bald

pinkbunny
December 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM
If its still light, I'm sure honey lightening would work well. Even conventional bleach may not be too bad since your hair is already light

I've thought of using natural lighteners like cassia or honey, but bleach and harsh chemicals ravage my already baby-fine hair and I'm a little nervous to try anything else... :( Quitting all of that is what got my hair to grow in the first place.

I'm trying to love my hair as-is - and there's always hope it will turn white when I get older (fingers crossed!) lol

Wicked Princess
December 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Yes, my hair changed - it got SHORTER! :o

I was born with jet black hair. When I was in grade school, it was still a very dark brown that looked black inside, but not out in the sunlight. It was also pin-straight! In grade school, it was also just past classic length, too.

Three years ago, I permed it. I was very happy with my hair like that until a few months ago, when I started wanting my straight hair back. However, I've noticed that I might have a slight wave to my hair towards the top! I can't tell if that's from updos, or if my hair actually changed...only time will tell!

Dreams_in_Pink
December 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
my hair changed as i entered adolescence. BIG change it was; from sleek and shiny to coarse and dull *rolls eyes*

And then came henna...I was using EVOO to treat my dandruff and it was working fine TILL i put henna on my head.

Hopefully the next big change will be TLHC, transition from coarse to smooth and shiny :D

vamq
December 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah, it changed.

According to my mum, I was born with black hair. This turned almost white later, and it was stick straight. It slowly became some kind of honey blonde-ish, with a strawberry blonde undertone. It was really thin. When I hit puberty, I was sure I just had frizzy hair, and it was still thin (heard a lot of gossip about it, yeah..). Then I found the boards, and found out I have slight waves. And now that I take way better care of my hair, and got rid of my layers, I have thicker hair as well.

Those waves are still getting stronger. I don't think I'll ever become a 2b (But I can still dream..:)) but I might get 2a hair one day :)

Kirzja
December 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I don't think my hair structure or colour have changed.

But as a child, my hair would tangle all the time.
Even after I just brushed it, within 30 minutes it was a mess again.
Now, after puberty, I don't get so many tangles anymore :)

rags
December 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I was born with jet black wavy hair. That all fell out and white blond straight hair replaced it. About puberty it darkened to an ash blond (dishwater blond) but stayed poker straight. When I got pregnant with my daughter it darkened to a medium/dark brown. The Drs. told me it would lighten back up again after I had her. Nope! It did, however, start going grey, so I started dying it.
Then I became ill in my thirties and had a large shed from medication which thinned my hair. Then in my late thirties I had the Great Shed from a medication which resulted in my hair becoming quite thin. I cut it off to shoulder and kept it there, growing out dye in the meantime. When it grew back out, my virgin hair was wavy! So now in my early forties, I have thin, wavy, hair with a lot of silver. Big changes! I keep a wary eye on it to see what it will do next! :p

Stormcast
December 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Since I was born, my hair has been the same color, even though both of my parents were born with blonde hair and it turned brown in two years. Everyone has been thinking 'Hmmm...wonder why her hair hasn't turned brown yet'?
So far, I don't think it will....but you never know! Anything could happen, I suppose.

RedheadMistress
December 28th, 2009, 09:19 AM
- My hair changed when I turned into a teenager and decided I didn't like my natural brown hair colour and instead wanted to look like a water colour painting and some times a mermaid, so ended up changing hair colours all the time and bleaching my hair horribly . .

So nothing as natural as stress own mark on my hair, but my own hobby for bleaching and dying set its mark but I have now decided to do no more bleaching and begin with henna and just do that or Veggie extreme hair dyes like MP or SFX ! :D

Wish me luck, it'll be difficult not touching the bleach packet in my bathroom and be happy with the "natural" darker tone of red . . !