PDA

View Full Version : Question about pillowcases...

LILBERT
December 24th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Im about to purchase a pair of satin pillowcases, and ive found some called the hair keeper, advertised as especially designed for your hair to keep it tangle free at night etc. these are slightly more expensive than the regular satin ones and money being tight, i just wondered if anybody knows if these are actually any different/better for hair than the regular satin ones?

Tabitha
December 24th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I just had a Google out of curiosity and couldn't see what was special about these.

It's true that satin has a very smooth, slippery surface and some people find it helps keeps their hair from tangling as much, but I think that's probably the only reason that these are advertised as Hair Keepers, because they're made from satin rather than ordinary cotton.

Be aware that satin is just a type of weave (smooth and shiny, sometimes called charmeuse) and not a type of fabric. There is synthetic satin, usually polyester, and then there is silk satin. Silk is more breathable and also less prone to static. I suspect that if the fabric is just called "satin" it will be polyester - silk satin will be advertised as such.

I personally prefer natural breathable fabrics and have a pair of silk satin pillowcases that I bought some years ago from a US eBayer for a very reasonable price. They go in the washing machine very happily and have worn well.

HTH!

Pear Martini
December 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Just get regular satin pillow cases. My hair never gets tangled when I sleep and the soft pillow case feels so good. I even got the whole sheet set, in white though, I think other colors look overtly sexual-for my taste that is.

Baby blue and light yellow are good too.

SunshineHair
December 24th, 2009, 02:16 PM
This is something I was thinking about the other day. But dosent satin tend to pull hair? I had some satin sheet a long time ago and I think I got my legs hairs pulled on a lot and it hurt:o

Then there was the constant sliding off, took the set back! But I didnt have any pillow cases but again, does it not pull your hair at all or just leg hair LOL

Pear Martini
December 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Lol, I have never had that problem with my hair (or body hair) being tugged by the sheets. They do slip off the matress all the time which is a huge pain in the you know what.

They feel so nice though :D

ladycatpurrs
December 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I just bought silk shirts from good designer names (Ralph Lauren tends to last and be good, for example), washed them in Tide Free and put them on my pillows. I tucked in the sleeves and my hair is none the wiser. I paid between .99 and 1.25, with combined shipping I got 5 silk shirts for under $20.00.
Oops, with all my gloating I forgot to mention I got them from Ebay:o

sapphire-o
December 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I have a silly question for those with silk pillowcases. Do they feel cold when you lie down? I got some satin (poly) pillowcases for my DH and they feel kinda cold. I don't like that feeling. Just wondering if silk feel any better.