PDA

View Full Version : Too short to have long hair?

coscass
December 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
Sounds silly, I know. But I sometimes think I'm too short to grow my hair out much longer. I'm 4'9'' and I feel like if I do, it will make my body look really weird, especially since I'm a bigger girl.

What are your thoughts?

Euphony
December 23rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Nope! I don't agree at all.

The only thing different would be if your hair was 40" it would hit around classic/upper thigh - while my 40" only hits a bit past tail bone (I'm almost 5' 8").

We have a member that for some reason her name escapes me, that is quite petite. I cannot remember how tall she is, but her hair at one point was around knee length and gorgeous. And it suited her very well.

Aer
December 23rd, 2009, 10:26 PM
I'm 5'1. Your fine. I've seen people look great with long hair at all heights and sizes. I don't think long hair will look weird on you because of your body type. Healthy long hair looks great on anyone. And also, wearing it with confidence is the major key factor. And I've noticed that shorter stature people are fortunate because for some reason certain lengths look longer on us than taller folks.

Elainehali
December 23rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
I think you should grow it as long as you like it.

I don't think there are any rules for who's allowed to have long hair. Look around.:cheese: we have:

old-young
slim-curvy
short-tall
strait-curly
thin-thick
fine-course
black-white
guys-gals

So there's not a "type" you have to fit.

MissManda
December 23rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
I agree with everyone here that you shouldn't let your height stop you from growing your hair out. You should wear it as you wish, not as the fashion people tell everyone to (I remember reading somewhere than shorter women shouldn't have long hair, which I thought was ridiculous). I am almost 5'1" and I've had classic length before and everyone liked it on me. I also have a friend who is even more petite than I am (I think she's actuallyaround your height), and she used to have the loveliest tailbone-length hair.

SunshineHair
December 24th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Like the others said, if YOU like it long grow it long! I am short, 5'1 and I will do what I want! Your hair is pretty, but it is how you feel about it that matters!!!

LittleOrca
December 24th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Long hair for everyone. :) (if they want it, lol)

hmmm
December 24th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Wow, that's my mom's height exactly! She had classic length hair for most of her life (until her kids started bothering her so much that she couldn't take care of it anymore).
I don't think you should not do something because you're afraid it won't suit you.

marzipanthecat
December 24th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I think you would look fine with very long hair. But it's really up to you - whether you feel comfortable with how it looks.

I honestly don't think being taller makes any difference. Just my opinion, though!

Calista
December 24th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Whatever you wear with confidence will look great on you. :)

emi77
December 24th, 2009, 04:30 AM
'Short' and 'tall' in terms of height is very subjective and relative to whomsoever you are standing next to! :D

More seriously, LHCers see this sort of subjectivity every day in terms of hair. BSL in the real world is loooong, yet on here its so much shorter when you have classic, knee and terminal lengths to compare it to!

Besides, even if you do think it does make you 'look weird' then you can always cut! But if you haven't grown there in the first place, you'll never know.

For the record, based on your avatar, I think it will look beautiful, no matter what your height is! :flower:

xoLegallyAubrey
December 24th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Don't worry about it! I'm barely 5'1'' (With shoes on? Please?) and I had the same worries when I started growing, but just stick with it, and once you get there, if it's too much, do whatever you need. Why not try, though?

Leena7
December 24th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I don't think it matters. Actually, I think being short has some advantages when growing hair out. I assume it would take less time to reach certain goals because of your petite frame. I am envious!

blueroses79
December 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I've thought about this a lot.... I'm 5"4', with a long face. My growing it now is contingent upon its ability to maintain volume and not get too straight. If too many waves get pulled out, that might be where I have to stop. But I think this has more to do with my face than my height. I don't see why height alone should mean you shouldn't have long hair. Also I plan to keep the hair right around my face shorter, so that will help. And I've never taken good care of my hair when it was long before, so who knows what it will do.

pinchbeck
December 24th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I love, love, love long healthy hair on anyone!

bte
December 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I don't think you'll have any problems- go for it - and you have the advantage of hitting all your goals more quickly!

spidermom
December 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Nobody is too anything for long hair.

Hay22
December 24th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I'm in the minority here, but I'm going to be honest and say that I think hair longer than BSL looks strange on shorter people, especially if they're heavy/stocky (Just to clarify, I'm not saying you're heavy or stocky, I haven't looked at your photos). It doesn't look bad, it just looks odd, like their hair is eating them, and it doesn't seem as impressive as it does on taller people. I'm sure everyone is going to hate me for this one.

On the plus side, though, you will reach your goals much faster than other people.

nowxisxforever
December 24th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Oh pfah, I think short people are extra cute with long hair.

I may be biased, though, being a wee bit shorter than 5'2".

Akiko
December 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I have seen short people with long hair. It looked great on some, maybe not so on others. Well, it is also the same on tall people... Anyway, my impression is probably dictated by the total balance. When I look at people from the back, I see the length and volume of hair as well as the body frame. I don't think length of hair is the only factor that made me feel in one way or the other.

Also, if you are going to wear your hair up most of the time, you want hair long enough to do various updos. Besides, if you wear your hair up, nobody knows how long it is!

Pixna
December 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'm 5 feet. I think long hair looks great on short women. Plus, we have the advantage of it reaching longer lengths on our body before our taller sisters and brothers (that is, 29 inches is waist length on me, but it might only be shoulder length on a taller person). If you are on the heavier side, longer hair might balance out the rest of your body and provide a slenderizing effect.

P.S. I just saw your album. WOW! You have stunning curls and color!!!

Speckla
December 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I think your hair will look great and you're lucky because you'll reach BSL, waist, hip...and so on a lot faster than taller people. I'm 5'1" and I'll gladly send you a few extra inches of height so my hair will look longer. :) Don't even consider what your hair will look like to other people because it's your eyes and your opinion that matter in deciding the final length.

Amraann
December 24th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I think that there are plenty of "ideas" about long hair and opinions about who or who should not have it.

Who cares what other people think? (at least when it is negative)
You should do what your happy with.
If you do not like it long than you can cut it.

curlylocks85
December 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Here is my theory. If hair were meant to be short, it would only grow to let us say shoulder length. However, many heads of hair regardless of their height can grown long crowns of glory. So if your hair can grow that long height is irrelevant.

I am 5'3" and have wondered about that myself sometimes naturalness of hair at longer lengths can be so visually different from the stylized versions we see so much of today that we question how we look even with the blessing of long hair.

I say if it makes you happy, if it is whom you are, if long hair is what you want, then it does not matter how it looks. If you feel beautiful, you ARE beautiful. No one can take that from you.

Speckla
December 24th, 2009, 11:44 AM
You're so adorable. How could you ever look bad with long, long hair?

masterofmidgets
December 24th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I'm 5'2" and pretty big body-weight wise, and I think long hair helps a lot to make me look more...balanced, I guess. With short hair my head looks too small in comparison to my chest/torso; long hair is a lot more flattering to my body type.

I am sure you will look fabulous with long hair!

Beatnik Guy
December 24th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I'm in the minority here, but I'm going to be honest and say that I think hair longer than BSL looks strange on shorter people, especially if they're heavy/stocky (Just to clarify, I'm not saying you're heavy or stocky, I haven't looked at your photos). It doesn't look bad, it just looks odd, like their hair is eating them, and it doesn't seem as impressive as it does on taller people. I'm sure everyone is going to hate me for this one.

I don't hate you, but I do disagree utterly. :)

CaityBear
December 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'm only 5 feet and I have tailbone length hair. I remember first wondering if it would look bad on me because I'm short and a bit...curvier. But I find that long hair doesn't look that bad on me at all.

I have yet to see a person with long hair who looks bad because of their height.

30isthenewblack
December 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I think long hair looks fabulous on petite women and your hair doesn't have to grow as long as taller gals for your hair to reach your hair goals.

Tabitha
December 24th, 2009, 04:21 PM

I rather agree with you REGARDING MYSELF - I don't presume to judge others - and this is one of several reasons that I cut my hair when I had reached a few inches past waist (other reasons: washing and drying had become a PITA; the hair was overwhelming to my small features; it was very prone to tangling and I was no longer enjoying wearing it down much).

I'm 5'3 and fairly chunky in build (160lbs with a generous-sized behind).

Fractalsofhair
December 24th, 2009, 04:31 PM
If short people aren't supposed to have long hair, then why do we hit our milestones so much quicker!

Fun sized(my term for short) people need fun hair, and longer hair is more fun with all the styles you can do with it!

As so far as being heavier and such, I do think long hair on well, a little bit more than overweight people can look bad if it's down if they have finer hair.(Just me personally. I want my hair to cover my back, not be a line down it. However, that's unlikely to happen with my broad shoulders!) However, thick hair looks great on everyone, and buns look great on everyone as well, and help protect your hair!

I'm 5'3 and was 5'1 when I started growing out my hair. I was about 4'9 when I had thigh length hair as a child, and to be honest, it didn't look so bad.

I do think people with smaller facial features(most common in short people I think) look better with pixies than people with "long" faces, but that's just my opinion as well. Both groups of people look good with long hair.

After all, with long hair, it's all how you take care of it. Not your height. Frayed dyed trashed hair looks bad on everyone. Shiny,bouncy great looking hair looks great on everyone!

jojo
December 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I wish I was shorter and if i was it wouldnt stop me growing my hair, i think height is irrelevent, it looks gorgeous on any height if its well looked after.

Sissy
December 24th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I don't think so. I think long hair is beautiful and flattering on all body shapes and heights. If you love long hair have it :) When you feel good about yourself the beauty will show!

BonnyJ
December 24th, 2009, 06:56 PM
You are too cute not to look good with any length hair. I am 5'9" tall and waist length hair on you will look a bit longer than waist length on me (he, he) ;)

Eniratak
December 24th, 2009, 07:09 PM
One of my friends was 4'10 and had around knee length hair.
It was gorgeous.

Kris Dove
December 25th, 2009, 01:55 AM
"They" say I'm not "supposed" to have long hair because my hair is fine and I have a long face... but I prefer it this long so what do they know?

Long hair can make short people especially look younger at times though I think(like an ex colleague of mine who was 34 and got ID'd going into a pub! She was very flattered!), so carry ID ;)

LHScotsman
December 26th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Yep - long hair for everyone