PDA

View Full Version : I gotta be me

TheLuckyLurker
December 23rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
I went on Monday to have my hair trimmed, my last one for a while. It was just 1/4 inch off the ends. Even though I found out I didn't really need it.

You see, here's what I do for my hair: I wash and condition it 2-3 times a week- using products loaded with SLS and cones, I might add-, towel dry it, add a heat-protectant/leave-in conditioner/detangler, and then use a wet-to-dry flat iron on it. And yet, the hairdresser still commented on how healthy it is and when I asked her to look, she couldn't find any damage or split ends. So the trim was really just for my own piece of mind.

My point is, since I have NO evidence my routine is hurting my hair, I see no point in any major changes. Yes, I will cut back on the heat styling (I won't vow never to do it; that would only give me something else to fail at and feel guilty for), but I think if I suddenly change what I use on it that might do more harm than good. I will of course revisit the matter if something changes, but for now the biggest change I'm making (other than cutting back on the heat) are taking a multivitamin, and I'm just about to start Biotin. The multivitamin couldn't hurt, and if the Biotin doesn't work I'm only out six bucks.

I like coming here and reading about all the different routines people have for their hair, but for now, I'll just stick with what works for me :).

Shicurls
December 23rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
That's what it's all about here! We come and share our routines and wisdom and then pick and choose what works for us. Always stay true to what you want for your hair! :)

JamieLeigh
December 23rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
That's really what it's all about - finding out what works best for you, and that's what we all "preach" lol. And you're right, you would culture-shock your hair if you decided to go cold turkey onto a whole different routine than what you're used to. That's why we suggest that if you ever DO change things up, do it gradually and give your hair a settle-in period. Because some things you just don't know will work right away - while others are blatantly obvious! :p

Welcome, and maybe you will find something useful here for if you decide you want to change things up down the line. In the meantime, look at all the neat articles and hair styling tutorials! There's a lot more to this site than just products and wash routines!! :flower:

Honestwitness
December 23rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Hi,TheLuckyLurker! I use heat, too, and don't plan to quit. However, I do use it less often and at the lowest possible setting, instead of the highest, like I did pre-LHC.

My hair is now APL and I have learned some lessons the hard way and some things about my hair I never knew, when it was short.

For instance, now that my hair is longer than a pixie, I have discovered it has some natural waviness, which I LOVE! But, I have also learned just how FRAGILE it is.

It's as fine as spider silk and I was treating it like steel cable. Now I have a lot of breakage, due to my carelessness about my shoulder bag and getting my hair caught under the strap. I used to just yank it out, but then one day I got to really looking at it and discovered to my horror that there is a whole area that is twice as thin as the rest of my hair. Stupid me!

I guess what I'm trying to say is (since I don't know how long your hair is) that the longer the hair, the more careful we have to be with it.

sedonia
December 23rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
How long is your hair?

One thing to keep in mind is damage from heat styling etc. accrues and its effects are relative to the current length of your hair and your goal length (as well as your hair type). Styling practices that cause no noticeable damage at, say bra strap length, might accrue to a much more noticeable level if you want to grow longer, because the ends of each hair have to last more years.

I am only planning on growing my hair out to about waist length, and at that length, it will still be able to handle some blow drying, teasing, and hair spray. I would be following a different hair care and styling regime if I were planning to grow to its terminal length.

With respect to cones, there are alot of people who like cones. My hair breaks terribly without cones.

Stephanie
December 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Good job doing what you've gotta do. I use the much feared Pantene and refuse to give it up. ;)

CrisDee
December 24th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Sounds like that's working for you at the moment - when it no longer works, that's the time to do something different:)

Fiferstone
December 24th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I agree with Sedonia, your hair's needs will change as you gain length. When I was at BSL washing it every other day with coney shampoo and conditioner (hooray Pantene) and blowdrying it when I did that didn't seem to have any adverse effect. When I reached waist length, that very same routine that had worked so well for so many years now produced straw. Damage is cumulative. The longer the hair, the older it is. The older it is, the more potential there is to damage it. Once it's damaged, it's damaged.

spidermom
December 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM
So true - the longer you grow your hair, the more you will see the results of whatever it is that you do to it. I got mine all the way to waist and then had to cut back to APL because the heat damage was extreme and my ends stuck together like Velcro.

But go ahead; express yourself. You can always change things around if you need to.

marikamt
December 24th, 2009, 08:32 AM
How long is your hair?

One thing to keep in mind is damage from heat styling etc. accrues and its effects are relative to the current length of your hair and your goal length (as well as your hair type). Styling practices that cause no noticeable damage at, say bra strap length, might accrue to a much more noticeable level if you want to grow longer, because the ends of each hair have to last more years.

I am only planning on growing my hair out to about waist length, and at that length, it will still be able to handle some blow drying, teasing, and hair spray. I would be following a different hair care and styling regime if I were planning to grow to its terminal length.

With respect to cones, there are alot of people who like cones. My hair breaks terribly without cones.

Ditto this..... Your profile says your hair is 3 inches long all around... think of it this way, that hair is 3-6 months old, pretty young!
Now keep using all that on it every day, and at waist length, you hair is now 3-5 yrs old (depending on how fast your hair grows)..... you may find your hair is not as happy with you anymore....

But either way, the prevailing sentiment here is whatever works for you and your hair..... and a lot of support to get you to where you want to be with your hair (which for most of us, regardless of length is a wish for healthy, pretty hair).

TheLuckyLurker
December 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I hear all of you on the sentiment that my hair's needs may change as it grows. I plan to keep a close watch on it; if I NEED to change something I certainly will, as I already learned the hard way what happens when it gets neglected: I had about APL hair, and a stylist had to cut it ABOVE MY CHIN to get rid of all the split ends. That was about ten years ago and I've never let things get so bad again. I never will, either.

Elenna
December 25th, 2009, 05:49 AM
The damage may not be apparent, but at longer lengths like BSL and WL, it shows up. It is much easier to grow hair long if it is undamaged. The damage slows any hair progress way down because of the need to trim out the damaged parts. So those who started with good hair consequently have faster growth.