PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Conditioner in

inspiral
December 23rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
Does anyone else do this? I like to leave my conditioner in my hair sometimes for a super deep treat. I just condition and detangle in the shower, and then squeeze out the excess so its not dripping, and then braid it or put it up in a bun and let it dry. Then, the next time i wet my hair, its like magic, still tangle free and super slippery. When i rinse the conditioner out, wear it up in a protective style all day, and then rinse and condition again, its still tangley from the bun or braid i put it in. but when i leave the conditioner in, its hardly tangley at all!

pros: soft, slippery, silky hair, cuts down detangle time for the next wash/rinse by A LOT, uses less conditioner!

cons: takes longer to dry, dries harder than usual, can leave slimey residue if you touch your hair and then touch other things, if its dripping down your neck its dripping conditioner slime.

Overall, i love this method. I love getting in the shower, wetting my hair and having it turn instantly into slick detangled hair, as opposed to spending 15-45 minutes detangling! i will do this when im hanging out at home, or the day before i want my hair to look really nice, or if i know i need to hurry and be somewhere next time i shower and this makes shower time sooo much quicker!! i wore my conditioner to work yesterday in a braid, and i didn't have to use a hairband on the end of my braid, thanks to my curls and the conditioner drying stiff.

i use an all natural conditioner, right now i'm using "the healing seed" hemp seed conditioner. i used to love john masters organics neroli detangler, but it has protein in it and i think it started building up. i havent bought it in a while, but i might use it still but less often, and alternating with protein free. the healing seed (from whole foods) is protein free and i am very happy with it!

hmmm
December 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
I don't do this, but oil does the same thing for me. I have to avoid touching it too, and put it out of the way for the most part, but when I finally do wash it, it's amazingly soft and healthy. I don't like to use too much though, just enough that it doesn't feel greasy and yucky.
Also at my length it makes my hair stay in braids much better. I can't do a single french braid because of my layers (doesn't stay put), but twin french braids look good.

Arriens
December 24th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Does anyone else do this? I like to leave my conditioner in my hair sometimes for a super deep treat.
Because I had troubles adding oil to my hair. I just added it to my conditioner and leave this in.
I add it after a shower.

Brownie
December 24th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I never wash out the conditioner thoroughly and add a lot of oil after the shower (about 2-3 fingernail's worth of Babassu oil). This method keeps my unruly hair manageable :grin:
Sometimes I add a hazelnut-sized portion of conditioner as well.

GlassEyes
December 24th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Sometimes? XD; Try 'every wash'. :P

Brownie
December 24th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Sometimes? XD; Try 'every wash'. :P

Most conditioners leave the ends of my hair a bit plasticky after a few days :shrug:

GlassEyes
December 24th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Most conditioners leave the ends of my hair a bit plasticky after a few days :shrug:
Oh, no--I meant I leave in conditioner every wash. :p

bumblebums
December 24th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Not rinsing conditioner out is part of the method described here for curly hair: (http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/). So I can see why it works for you!

spidermom
December 24th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I leave conditioner in my hair all the time, followed by a little oil, followed by a coney serum but only about once a week for the serum - the effect lasts.

Brownie
December 24th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Oh, no--I meant I leave in conditioner every wash. :p

I know, I think you got it wrong- this is the problem which often occurs when I leave conditioner in :lol: Maybe it's a build-up because it disappears when I shampoo the ends.

blueroses79
December 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I add conditioner as a leave-in, too. When I brush my hair after my shower also, you can't even tell it's in there. (My hair is fine, so I never thought I'd be putting so much stuff in it, but it works!) Hairdressers have told me not to rinse out my conditioner before, though. I wonder if this has to do with porosity....

fleurdelis
December 24th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Sounds interesting, do you guys leave in "normal" conditioner or a "leave-in" conditioner?

spidermom
December 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I use normal conditioner, whatever I have in the shower area. All of them work, but some are better than others. I've never had stiff or sticky hair from it.

Copasetic
December 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I have thought about doing this, but some of the ingredients in conditioners make me a but nervous. I always rinse my conditioner well, and then use a different leave-in or oil.