PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about hair vitamins

curlylocks85
December 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hi Everyone!

I am curious about the different hair vitamins everyone takes. I know a lot of you take Biotin, which I know is great for hair, nails, and skin. I have been searching in the stores for vitamins promoting hair growth and the bottles are labeled of what it helps i.e. immune, heat support and this is the only on that is labeled with hair promoting support so, what are different types of hair promoting vitamins out there that can help me. I am interested because I would like to improve in any way I can to encourage my hair to gain health and length.

Thanks! :)

longforhim
December 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
I use the spring valley hair,skin, and nails vitamins from wal-mart. They have about 3,000mcg of biotin in them. They seem to work great for me. They cost about $7 for a bottle of 120 tablets I think. My hair and nails are growing well from them :)

Cholera
December 22nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
I take two 2500 mcg biotin pills a day (at different times), and a pre-natal vitamin with fish oil in it once a day. Since I upped my biotin dosage, my hair has been flying out of my head! Hehe. Definitely try a good women's one-a-day or pre-natal, if you don't already. I haven't been sick in months!

pepperedmoth
December 22nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
I take a daily prenatal vitamin. I don't take it for hair- I take it in case of accidental pregnancy! -but I've heard ladies here say that it helps their hair . . . and if it does the same for me, why, I surely can't complain!

Kalyca
December 23rd, 2009, 01:07 AM
I use futurebiotics hair, skin & nails. i've only been using it for about a month and haven't noticed much of a difference yet.. except for my nails. they do seem to grow quite fast. i am thinking about starting on some biotin supplements as well but i'm kind of weary because a lot of people get skin break outs from it...

Yarn Muse
December 23rd, 2009, 07:20 AM
I started taking biotin--2000 mcg daily plus there is some in my multi-vitamin supplement--and also MSM and fish oil. I take them each twice a day, starting Nov. 1st or so, and my hair is growing so fast, about an inch a month instead of 1/2 an inch.

hmmm
December 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM
I don't take any supplements for hair growth, but make sure I eat very healthy food. I take omega-3 fish oil capsules and calcium everyday. I get very good growth, about an inch a month. Supplements won't help if your diet isn't already deficient in a particular vitamin or mineral, which it shouldn't be if you have a healthy diet. It's also better to get your nutrition from food rather than a number of supplements, as the body has an easier time absorbing it from food.

rupertswife
December 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
I was taking biotin (3000mcg/day) but had to quit because I was getting painful cystic acne. When I was on the biotin though, I did notice a slight increase in hair growth. I also notice it more when I am more active - like on a regular exercise program. Good circulation promotes hair growth.

curlylocks85
December 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I decided to try out some things. I bought MSM, Biotin and Prenatal vitamins. I am only taking one of each a day. I have heard many people saying they take fish oil what are the benefits of taking this. Is this for hair or for something else?

pepperedmoth
December 25th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I decided to try out some things. I bought MSM, Biotin and Prenatal vitamins. I am only taking one of each a day. I have heard many people saying they take fish oil what are the benefits of taking this. Is this for hair or for something else?

Most often, people take fish oil for its cholesterol-lowering effects. There are several other reasons to take it- I've heard combating depression in pregnancy, for nerve health, and for arthritis pain, among other things. But the cholesterol-lowering is the most common, and also the best-researched.

Sissy
December 25th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I take the following:

Women's Ultra Multi-Vitamin from GNC (has iron, zinc, silica, and other good stuff for hair). I do not take a special hair vitamin because I find they contain too much of certain things, like horestail (silica) for example, which could be harmful.

BIOTIN (found in liver and egg yokes) we can get biotin from our diet but we would have to consume thousands of calories daily to get what our hair needs. That's one reason why he and so many dermatologists suggest biotin supplements. The recommended daily intake (RDI) of biotin is a scant 300 mcg -- and even the healthiest diets usually contain no more than 30 to 50 mcg.

MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) is a substance vital to the life of hair and skin. The same way that biotin is a component of the manufacturing process of hair, the sulphur found in MSM can be intrinsic to the structural development of hair because it is so well-absorbed. Take anywhere from 700 - 1000mg of MSM daily.

Evening Primrose Oil
It's rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for strong, healthy hair. Evening primrose oil contains a special fat called gamma-linolenic acid(GLA) which the body converts to hormonelike compounds called prostaglandins. The GLA in evening primrose oil is directly converted to anti-inflammatory prostaglandins which are effective against eczema and skin allergies. Taking evening primrose oil can help prevent hair loss that is caused by excess flaking and shedding of skin on the scalp. I take 2 Evening Primrose 500 caps daily. As a nutritional supplement, the maximum label-recommended daily dose of evening primrose oil is approximately 4 g, containing 300 to 360 mg GLA. There is little concern about the safety of evening primrose oil as a dietary supplement in the recommended dosage range.

I also take fish oils (or you could take flaxseed if your vegetarian) for the Omega 3's, vitamin B-12, and iron.

Vitamin B-12 is important for healthy hair growth and can be found in eggs, meat, poultry.

Iron is good but not too much and you probably don't need to supplement it as long as you eat a balanced diet. A lack of iron that often occurs during the reproductive years can lead to anemia, which is often an undiagnosed cause of hair loss in women. You can get iron from a good multi-vitamin and from many foods.

zinc and silica are healthy for hair but I would not recommend supplementing them. You probably get a bit in a good multi-vitamin (I do) and taking too much can be harmful.

Other than that, just eat a variety of foods... fish (especially salmon for the omegas), canola oil and soy for the essential fatty acids, dark green veggies (they contain iron, calcium, vitamin a and c, which your body needs to produce sebum), legumes (contain iron, zinc, biotin, and protien for hair growth), nuts (contain selenium, alpha-linolenic acid to condition your hair, and zinc), poultry (contains iron and protein to prevent weak, brittle hair, and loss of color), eggs (contain protein, biotin, and vitamin b-12), whole grains (contain zinc, iron, and b vitamins), low-fat dairy products (contain protein and calcium which is important for hair growth), carrots (contain vitamin a which promotes healthy scalp), and oats (contain important hair growth minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and iron as well as help maintain hair color and aid in prevention of hair loss)

Oh, and most importantly drink water... water will hydrate your hair from the inside, which is better than any moisturizing treatment you can apply to the outside!

Ok, so that is all the information I've accumulated over the years of researching supplements and diet for good hair and health. I hope it helps!

Sissy
December 25th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I have heard many people saying they take fish oil what are the benefits of taking this. Is this for hair or for something else?

yes, fish oils do help with a lot of things. They do help with hair growth. Fish oils contain omega-3 fatty acids, high quality protein, and b-12 and iron. All of those vitamins/minerals help with hair growth and health.

WyrdWay
December 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I had taken biotin for a few months up untill recently .... I was putting up with the horrible breakouts, but I came home from work a few weeks ago an looked in the mirror :( I had about 5 one inch + hairs growing from my chin! I hadn't noticed them before work. My husband called me the bearded lady, so I decided to stop takening it.

I just started taking garlic I've heard that it helps with shedding. So all together I'm taking Garlic, super B, fish oil, and my women's multi. I was seeing really great results my new growth is so much healthier and shinier and less tangley.