PDA

View Full Version : velcro rollers :'(

Luckysock
December 22nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
I just destroyed my hair with velcro rollers :(

I could cry - I've been working so hard to get my hair healthy .

I'm really excited about my New Year's Eve plans and I wanted to test out a hair style - didn't want to use heat so I picked up some velcro rollers.

All of them were horrible - at least two got REALLY suck. I am sitting next to a pile of hair I had to pull out and I know I've done tons of damage to what is left on my head.

I'm so angry at myself - why did I do this.

Just want to cry to you guys about it :(

SunshineHair
December 22nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Aww I am sorry :( But maybe it isnt as bad as it feels and looks right now. Just keep treating your hair good! Wish I could say more to help!

Fairlight63
December 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Sorry about the velcro rollers. I bet that you are upset! ((HUG)) I know that I would be upset also, my hair is so fine, thin & delicate that I can't afford to lose a single hair.

DragonLady
December 22nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
I'm so sorry. :( I've been thinking about trying those, too.

It will grow back. I know that's not much consolation right now, but it will.

shockinglength
December 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Oh NO!!! I did the exact same thing to my hair with brush rollers. I'll be okay after you wash and deep condition your hair. I know your pain <3

Gumball
December 22nd, 2009, 11:03 PM
A little pampering will definitely go a long way, and you won't be using more of those any time soon. If anything pick up some magnetics (the ones that look like they are smooth plastic with a little cage-like plastic jacket to go over them) and I'm sure you'll be fine. I've used them before (see siggie) with no snagging or snarling whatsoever. :D

Dreams_in_Pink
December 23rd, 2009, 01:58 AM
velcros take some time to learn. First of all, you should use big sections of hair so that only the ends will get stuck to the velcro (not the whole length) When whole length gets stuck, you simply can't remove it :D

Carolyn
December 23rd, 2009, 06:12 AM
Yep, that's what they generally do to long hair. They are not long hair friendly. Get rid of them. Mine went in the Goodwill bag years ago.

MissThorne
December 23rd, 2009, 06:34 AM
I did the exact same thing the other day. But it wasnt the velcro that did me in, but the metal clips I had to use to keep my hair attached to them. It ripped out alot of hair.

I hope the damage is more to your mind than to your hair. :(

marzipanthecat
December 23rd, 2009, 06:57 AM
Oh no! I am sorry to hear this.

Do try a good long deep condition right now - it will calm your hair down.

sedonia
December 23rd, 2009, 07:37 AM
Velcro rollers work great until about shoulder length. Then they really get stuck. I have tried them a couple of times and had to really work hard to get them out of my hair.

If it makes you feel any better, the hair that pulled out was probably just some accelerated shedding -- hairs that were going to fall out during the next few days anyway. Or did you feel/hear hairs actually snapping?

abritta3
December 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Don't get too discouraged. I know it's easier said than done but just baby your hair now.
I would do a deep oil or a deep condition.
I use sponge rollers sometimes if I want waves instead of my natural curl and they work great.
I hope this helps.

forgetmenotak
December 23rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble. A trick that you can use is to get some scissors and take off the blue velcro. Underneath is very smooth and you won't have problems.

spidermom
December 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
Oh my goodness but you are brave. Just looking at those things scared me.

Luckysock
December 23rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys :)

I took the velcro off and and have the plastic barrels which I'll use with bobbie pins if I ever feel the desire to do that again. There was a bit of rough glue left on them so I filed it down with a nail file.

I'm going to deep condition now, as an apology to my hair.

Today I considered buying a three-barrel wave iron - but walked away, like a curling iron they literally fry the hair. Sigh. This time of year I really want to change my texture with all the parties and such, but I'm just going to have to wait it out - or try some of the other techniques you guys have suggested, even though they tend to take a bit longer...

Thanks for the support guys! I appreciate it.

Carolyn
December 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
If you want some nice gentle rollers you could try Caruso steam rollers or magnetic rollers. I won't go into Caruso's as there are already several threads discussing them, both here and on the old boards and they are easily searched for.