PDA

View Full Version : No-cone users: do you clarify?

hmmm
December 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
If so, what for? Do you get build up from oil? How often do you do it? What do you use?

karli
December 22nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
I don`t clarify, shampoo is too drying for my scalp. If my hair gets dull, I make an eggwash. I henndigo sometimes as well, and that makes my hair and scalp happy.

Some oils doesn`t work for my hair, coconut for example causes build-up, so I don`t use it.

handsclean
December 22nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
I don't use cones and I only clarify when I use a product that does has cones. Other than that I find no need to :) When I do clarify I just use a shampoo with SLS.

girlcat36
December 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
I clarify frequently even though I don't use cones. My hair is vey fine and thin and build up effects happen fast.
I use a weak baking soda rinse to clarify.

blendedchaitea
December 22nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
I use shampoo once every month or so, to get rid of the gunky buildup on my scalp that comes from CO. Sometimes I whip up a brown sugar scrub when the shampoo can't cut it, about three times a year.

Finoriel
December 22nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Havenīt clarified ever :)
There has just never been a need to do that and Iīm not a huge fan of the concept to begin with.

Copasetic
December 22nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
I clarify like once a month with a non-SLS shampoo. I don't really have a good reason to, other than I feel like I should.

klcqtee
December 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Having just gone cone free, I do clarify occasionally (about once a month), because I've heard that cones can build up, and can be hard to get rid of. I've also heard cone free is easier when you really are cone free, not just cone free from this point on out.

In a couple months (or when I run out of shampoo), I'll probably quite clarifying.

wendyg
December 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
I'm with Finoriel: don't even really know what clarifying is...

wg

Longlocks3
December 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
When I was CO only I clarified because I had build up, even though it was cone free conditioner. Now that I use shampoo bars, I don't clarify. I do use ACV rinses to get rid of any leftover poo bars.

mellie89
December 22nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
I clarify once a month with ALS shampoo (which my hair and scalp seem to like better than SLS, for whatever reason). I have fine, damaged hair, and I get build up after using any product for too long, even if it's cone-free.

Never had that issue with virgin hair, so I can't wait for the day when I can buy any shampoo and conditioner and just use them 'til they run out!

spidermom
December 22nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Cone free or not, sometimes it seems that my hair gets a little extra icky, and I wash it more thoroughly than my normal diluted shampoo wash. I don't know if there's really any kind of "build-up" though. I read an article by a hair and skin expert in a medical journal who said that "build-up" on the hair is a myth.

2peasinapod
December 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
I clarify occasionally, but since going cone free, I've found I need to do it less often.

Ash
December 22nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
If my hair starts to feel sticky or tangly in the shower then I use an ACV rinse which gets rid of that. I have always used vinegar to get rid of buildup even when I used cones but apparently it is not considered "clarifying" here even though it has the same effect in my hair.

RocketDog
December 22nd, 2009, 10:54 PM
I can't even remember the last time I purposefully clarified... I did have to use a stronger shampoo than I normaly do whilst on vacation, but it's not like I chose that 'poo to strip the heck outta my hair ;)

When I was using a lot of styling products I felt the need to use Suave's super-duty clarifying shampoo once every other week to kinda pull the crud out of my hair, but now that I'm product-free and keep my hair up I don't get gunky buildup.

Arctic
December 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
Cones are not the only things building up on hair, shampoos and conditioners are full of coating agents other than cones these days, plus sebum, oils, other products used on hair, minerals from sweat and water... they all can lead to build-up.

ericthegreat
December 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
For my normal routine, I CO every night with Suave Coconut which is conefree. However, I still get buildup within 2 to 3 weeks time, its most likely from protein buildup and the other emollients that are in my conditioner. I can actually see and feel when I have too much buildup, my hair will clump together in thick ropey chunks and my roots will be all flat and lifeless. So once on the weekend of every 3 weeks, I will use shampoo to clarify my hair. Once I have washed whatever buildup was in my hair, I then apply my Suave Coconut conditioner again like always and then rinse that out. My hair always feels clean and soft right after I do my clarifying.

melikai
December 23rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
I don't need to clarify. If I apply too much oil or something, I just shampoo an extra time and that takes care of it.

ETA: Also, to add to what Arctic said, I've noticed that conditioners with polyquaterniums in them cause just as bad build-up as silicones.

myotislucifugus
December 23rd, 2009, 10:46 AM
I clarify with a baking soda rinse every so often. My water is now so soft it becomes very difficult to get all the poo bar out, so that usually does the trick.

Hiriel
December 23rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
I clarify - as in, I actually use shampoo - about once a month. The rest of the time I'm WO.

LaurelSpring
December 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
I also use baking soda if my hair starts feeling gunky. I have gone back to SLS shampoo now and then but then I get back on the greasy cycle with them and I want to get off.

RoseRedDead
December 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Yes, I do clarify.

I do it when my hair feels more tangly or icky than usual (maybe once every 2 months). I use regular SLS shampoo and baking soda.

Anje
December 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
I shampoo occasionally, when I've decided that my hair seems extra gunky for some reason, or if I feel like I need something extra to get pool or lake water out. Maybe at the end of an experiment too, just so I can go back to a fresh palette. I suppose that counts as clarifying. But my conditioner doesn't really seem to build up, so it's not a particularly regular thing.

rupertswife
December 23rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
I clarify every three or four months with an SLS shampoo but only if my hair feels like it has lots of build up. I also clarify more often with lemon juice and a non-sulfate shampoo.

Magicknthenight
December 23rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
I usually use AO shampoo or CO with vo5. I have been meaning to get some more shampoo bars. I just have to find a conditioner that hopefully doesn't have cones or too much protein.
About a week ago my ends were feeling really dry and my hair was tangly. Now i usually do an SMT every time i wash. Then i heavily apply some kind of oil. When i use shampoo I just let it run down the length instead of washing it all. That really didn't work this time though.
So a few days ago (I'd say the 17th) I clarified. I thought perhaps all the heavily oiling and conditioners and such had built up on my hair over a matter of months. So I used vo5 normal shampoo. Washed my whole scalp and length like twice. Let it air dry. When it was wet it felt rough and tangly. I finger combed it to speed up the drying time.
Finally when it dried it was awesome! I had been wearing it heavily oiled or up so long that it reached new places it was really cool :D
I noticed a lot of shorter hairs by my scalp but i figured those were just new growth or something. Not to mention I had my thickness back! I was worried for the longest time that I was losing my thickness but then figured it was just all the oils and deep conditioning i used weighing it down a little bit. Before i used to take care of my hair and used cones and sulfates it was thicker but dryer too.
So when it dried it was thick again. Like it used to be. So i guess thats just how it is without a bunch of stuff weighing it down. Of course it would be thicker without all the healthy stuff on it -__-
The only thing was that it was a little tangly. I need to post pictures in my blog sometime. I was just so happy to learn it had not changed. Of course now I'm confused. Use the stuff that makes it healthy but kind of weighed down or use the stuff that drys it out and have it not weighed down at all.
I'm gonna try to find a nice middle and defiantly reduce the amount of oil i use after each shower so it doesn't build up as fast. (Though it took months)
So no I don't really have a set date for clarifying I just did it when i felt it needed it and it has been behaving better despite me heavily oiling it again. I don't need to do it regularly i just think i need to lighten up on the oiling but its kind of a habit now! I feel odd not doing it.:disgust:
Of course it feels a little thinner when its so heavily oiled all the time! :headache:
I was pretty afraid to clarify thinking it would make dry ends worse but it really helped. Of course when you use gentle shampoos and so much oil like i do a little bit of built up oil can be expected.
ETA: I have used AO shampoo to wash out oil and then AO conditioner. My hair was not oily but still a little less thick then it would be had the conditioner not weighed it down a little
I have been reading too much online today and my concentration keeps breaking away so i hope this is understandable.

julya
December 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
For the past few weeks, I have been using just shampoo on my hair, no conditioner or oil. It has actually been less tangly and less lint collecting, which is nice. Prior to that I had been doing mostly conditioner only, for most of the summer. With occasional shampoo to clarify.

Now, I just use a regular SLS based shampoo, about once a week. Scalp and length.

deko
December 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
I clarify with an clarifying shampoo before every full head henna coloring. About three times a year. I still use SLS shampoo once or twice a week, some might say this is clarifying? I sometimes use coney condish, but only the ends and not so often,

Gothic Lolita
December 23rd, 2009, 11:44 PM
I need to clarify as my condish is super-rich and the oils + sebum tend to build up after while. Since I'm having a bad reaction to sulphates, I'm mixing y sulphate-free shampoo with baking soda and then dilute it to my normal (extreme) dilution. This works well, but I'd much rather not clarify at all.....

Naamah
December 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I clarify every few months, or whenever I feel like I need to. I just did yesterday, actually. I'm currently using a V05 Shampoo to clarify, only have a tiny bit left. I may try baking soda once I'm out of it to see how that works.

JCFantasy23
December 27th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I stopped using cones at the beginning of October. Haven't needed to clarify yet, so not sure when I'll need to, if I'll need to.