PDA

View Full Version : Split Ends!!! But I just trimmed......

SunshineHair
December 22nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
One thing about living in this part of WA is the lack of sunlight. But today the sun was shinning down!! I was in the car and I looked down at the ends of my hair which was lit up by the beautiful sunlight, and what do you think I saw starring back at me?? SPLIT ENDS!!!!! I just took off an inch of hair last week, I have heard that happens if you dont cut high enough but geese I took off an inch.

Ok so I need to do something, but what? I am trying to grow out lengthy hair here. Should I just keep the search and destroy going or just cut off another inch to ensure heair health????

Hehe I promise this is the last post I will put up today, I dont want to be a newbie post hog :)

Calista
December 22nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
I find most splits not at my ends, but higher up, at the "back" of the hair where it rubs on my woollen sweaters. No trim will ever catch those splits, so I do a lot of search and destroy.

It´s also possible that your scissors were blunt. Do you have good quality scissors that you use only for your hair?

xoxophelia
December 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Have you been heat styling your hair? Or, were the scissors you used really dull?

It doesn't seem normal for them to happen so quickly unless your hair was majorly dry. If you have lots of them I don't see how you have any option but to trim off a little more (say 1/2 an inch?). But make sure it is with hair cutting scissors.

Also start deep conditioning your hair if you aren't already. Hair styling products can also dry out your hair so be careful about what you use.

Stephanie
December 22nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. Didn't you just start on the "healthy hair" journey? With a little time, if you're consistent with good care, your hair will make impressive changes. The splits that are higher up will become less noticeable and as you grow, it will be easier to trim them off. Just make sure, like Calista said, that you have sharp, sharp scissors.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Most of my splits don't occur at the ends of the longest hairs, so trims don't touch them. I'm really careful with my hair, but every time I look, I find split ends and other damage. It's frustrating, but I guess perfect is too much to ask.

Anje
December 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Well, if the splits are all right at the trimmed line, I'd blame dull scissors and recommend a fresh trim (just a dusting, like 1/4 inch) with sharp scissors. If they're higher up, it's probably just splits that you have higher through your hair. Those are best simply S&Ded and generally managed by taking care of your hair. Most of my splits happen way up in my length... That might be that I need to improve my handling, it may also be that my hair's just a tad too fragile for all the hairs to grow for 5 years or so to make it to the ends without ever breaking.

SunshineHair
December 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
OK let me see if I can answer all the questions..I did just start this hair care living :)

I do blow dry my hair every once in a while and I dont let the heat stay on one spot long, and I wait till my hair is close to dryer. But I may even stop that...I do 'not' use any other heat iron!

Oh scissors, I just bought a small pair from target for the hair, I am not sure if they are a great pair, but I dont let them cut anything else.

I will try to relax. I cant believe how hard it is to keep hair healthy!

Stephanie
December 22nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
It doesn't have to be hard. Just be gentle.

Athena's Owl
December 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
it looks to me as if you have a natural curl to your hair. do you?

are you using actual barber scissors? you shouldn't use anything but barber scissors.

SunshineHair
December 22nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Athena's Owl, did you see my new avatar? The other was a few years old. It was a shorter but naturally crimped by damp hair and braided style!

I finally posted a picture of my hair 'now' as I washed it today and could post what it looks like clean :) My hair is pretty much straight, but sleeping on it will make it a bit wavy, just enough to keep it from being stick straight.

The shears I used are a small, black handle, light weight, that I bought from target for $10 as that was all i could afford. So sorry I do not know anything more about them.

Pierre
December 22nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
The first thing to look at is the angle. IIRR it's measured between the plane at the front of the edge and the axis of rotation. (The conventions for knives and scissors are different and I don't talk about their sharpness angles often enough to keep them straight.) The scissors kids use for cutting paper have an angle close to 0 and are useless for hair. Hair scissors have an angle of at least 45. The scissors I use, which I got as part of a kitchen scissor set, have an angle around 30, but my hair is hennaed and I cut it wet, so they don't crush it as they would virgin dry hair. I notice very few new splits at the ends, and those are probably from when I used two keys as scissors far from home.

Curlsgirl
December 22nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
if you got them in the hair section at Target for about $10 and didn't use them for anything they should have been okay to trim your hair. Do you have dye on any part of your hair by any chance or maybe have bleached it before? If you had a lot of damage you probably didn't trim off enough. I had a lot when I first came here and because I didn't want to grow so slow, I trimmed off about half the growth every other month or so until the worst was all gone. If it still looks okay then don't worry about it I say. Mine has splits all through it too and crazy shorter hairs but you can't really tell unless you were to look at it REALLY closely. I try not to worry about it and I usually don't. I did get TOO many not too long ago and had a good 2 inch trim. Your hair looks pretty to me :flower:

peachrose
December 22nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Try not to get too discouraged! I'd say follow the previous advice as to making sure your shears are completely sharp and high quality as well as S&D further up your hemline as these could have been areas you simply missed when doing your trim. Good luck!

shockinglength
December 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
I'd cut again.

SunshineHair
December 23rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
I read all the replies, again I am grateful for your advices!!!! I am going to search and destroy...

Curlsgirl thanks for the compliment! I actually love your hair! And to answer your question, the red is old henned that I dyed and bleached a year and a half ago. I was about to get married and wanted red hair sooo bad! But I put chemicle over henna knowing I shouldnt. I just simply freaked out after cutting it and still seeing some split ends.

Carolyn
December 23rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
Most of my splits are up in the length. A small trim of an inch wouldn't get all that many of mine. A trim like that just keeps the hemline even and neat. I find S & D is one of my best weapons against the little buggers.

Anje
December 23rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Curlsgirl thanks for the compliment! I actually love your hair! And to answer your question, the red is old henned that I dyed and bleached a year and a half ago. I was about to get married and wanted red hair sooo bad! But I put chemicle over henna knowing I shouldnt. I just simply freaked out after cutting it and still seeing some split ends.

Lots of people have good luck putting henna over chemicals, if you ever did want to go back. The trick is to make sure you get good, 100% henna with not metallic salts mixed in, and do a strand test on some hairs from your brush first to make sure nothing weird will happen.

Your Target scissors should be just fine, especially if they were meant to cut hair. (I suspect fabric scissors are also good if dedicated to hair use, but they're also expensive and somewhat heavy.) I upgraded my hair scissors a few months ago, but I'm not convinced they're any better than the pair of $10 Goody hair shears I got at Walmart.

Spike
December 23rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
Second the S&D suggestions. Remember, not all your hair is the same length due to shed and regrow. It's entirely possible that you caught a bunch of splits with your 1" trim, but these ends were not included in that.

Great hair takes a little time and consistency. Find what works for you and keep on keeping on.

pinkbunny
December 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Just treat your hair nice - if you're just starting out on a "hair improvement" journey, you won't get perfection overnight (I still battle splits even after 10 yrs of babying, but there's a lot less now). Try oiling or shampoos/conditioners for split ends. Of course it won't get rid of them, but it will help prevent new ones and you can always S&D between regular trims...

SunshineHair
December 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM
Got it, search and destroy, be patient and be gentle!

Pinkbunny, I grew up in Cobb County Ga :)

pinkbunny
December 24th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Pinkbunny, I grew up in Cobb County Ga :)

At least one of us escaped! ;) lol

SunshineHair
December 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hehe, I miss the weather, and smells and nature---but not my crazy family!!!! Abd besides me only one other person there has long hair :0 can you believe that!!!!!

marobader
December 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I can't stand loosing even half inch now so I will stand splittting

Sissy
December 24th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Got it, search and destroy, be patient and be gentle!

yeah, unfortunately I am in the same boat. I get frequent split ends LOL. I have 35 dollar pair of scissors and I'm going to have a professional look at them to make sure they are still sharp. However, I think it's not the scissors but more about the condition of my hair unfortunately!

SunshineHair
December 24th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I wonder how long I can use mine before they need to be sharpened??

Sissy
December 24th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I wonder how long I can use mine before they need to be sharpened??

I think they should be sharpened every year. If one is a hairdresser and cutting a lot of hair then every 6 months. I don't own the tool needed to sharpen them and have been told before that one has to be very careful sharpening scissors as it is very easy to ruin your hair shears doing so. I don't know if this is true.

What I plan to do is take my scissors into Sally Beauty Supply where I purchased them a year or so ago and ask the girls who work there (a couple of them also work at hair salons) if mine are dull. If so, I will ask their recommendation on how to sharpen them. I heard someone say that they ordered FROMM scissors (same brand I own) and they arrived dull but the company sharpened them for free.

SunshineHair
December 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Let me know if they do sharpen for free ok!!

Sissy
December 25th, 2009, 03:24 PM

yes, I will try to let you know if they sharpen for free. I hope to stop by there tomorrow, if the post Christmas rush isn't too much! I'll have to write myself a note so I don't forget!

WyrdWay
December 26th, 2009, 12:41 AM
i haven't tried it but it was here
sharpening (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37310&highlight=foil+scissors)

I used 4 layers of alumunum foil and cut trough it once, then worked my way down to one. It works great!

Sissy
December 26th, 2009, 11:56 AM
i haven't tried it but it was here
sharpening (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37310&highlight=foil+scissors)

Thanks for the tips!

Sissy
December 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM

Ok, Sally's does not sharpen for free and does not sell anything to sharpen hair scissors with. However, they have a mail out bag that you can send your scissors out to be sharpened but it costs $25 the first time and $20 for any future sharpens. Ha, for that price I could just buy a new pair of scissors. The scissors were only around 35 to begin with!

SunshineHair
December 26th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I appreciate you letting us know! And yeah I'd rather just buy new ones hehe!

SpeakingEZ
December 26th, 2009, 07:48 PM
As for S+D, how much should I be cutting off the end of the hair? I usually only clip off as much as is split.....