PDA

View Full Version : What IS this stuff?

Shicurls
December 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Okay, so I posted a question about the shampoo product Kevis on the product boards. But, I have question about the main ingredient in it, and I was hoping those in the know and/or our scientists could help me out. I'm doing this for my Dad because his hair is falling out in clumps and there are a ton of chunky flakes on his head. I bought him a bottle of generic monistat and he sometimes uses it, but he kinda flips out about the concept. So, he wants to buy Kevis thinking that it will grow more and hold onto the hair. But, based upon what I saw on the ingredient list, it only adds moisture to the scalp. I would definitely appreciate the insight and help. :cheese:

Shicurls
December 22nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
I forgot to say that the ingredient is "HUCP". Whatever that is....:rolleyes:

vanity_acefake
December 22nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
I've looked it up on the net and it is hyaluronia acid. I have no idea what it is or how it works though!

Shicurls
December 22nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
yeah, the Hyaluronic Acid is a humectant, like glycerin or honey, just a bit stronger. I just don't see how moisture "grows" hair and they claim the HUCP is the real ingredient that fights off the DHT that kills the follicle. It sounds like a bunch of malarky, but if their is something to this mystery ingredient than I definitely want to know.

Thank you for responding vanity aceface! You rock!

tiggens
December 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
But it's got Icelandic lichen! ;) Sounds like malarkey to me but if Pops wants to try it out, it also seems benign (other than the price tag). Who knows, maybe it will work.

Stephanie
December 22nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
I have used hyaluronic acid on my face, my scalp, and on the length of my hair with tremendous success to treat severe dryness.

Is this a sudden occurrence for him? Has his diet recently changed? Particularly bad stress? If this is out of the blue, there probably isn't much a product will do to help if the root of the problem (no pun intended) is internal. I'd be concerned about his health first and foremost.

Angela_Rose
December 22nd, 2009, 02:10 PM
We use hyaluronic acid in the horse world- it's a key component in joint supplements. Supposedly, in that application, it rebuilds synovial fluid already in the joint. Also it's reportedly a binding agent that helps bring MSM and glucosamine into the joint, increasing joint function and improving joint health. Why it's in a shampoo, though... ::shrugs:: beats me.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
If he believes in the product, he will have better results.

Shicurls
December 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hmmm, good to know, guys, thanks...I'm thinking it could be his recent diagnoses of thyroid issues. maybe he will balance back out once the meds start working...

Longlocks3
December 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Directions:

Take Monistat, put in bottle. Tell him you bought it from a natural health food store and it's suppose to help.

Problem solved. :D

LOL, really though, what spidermom said; if he believes in it he will have better success.

And I'm glad to hear he is treating his thyroid issue. That's probably the biggest reason his hair fell out.

Shicurls
December 22nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Directions:

Take Monistat, put in bottle. Tell him you bought it from a natural health food store and it's suppose to help.

Problem solved.
:bigeyes::spitting::rollin::rollin:

I love it!