PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Part Go Too Low In The Back??

SunshineHair
December 22nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
If I wash my hair for the day you cant see it. But if I sleep on it and wake up, presto! Ugly little bit of scalp that you can see the back of your head!

You see it mainly on darker hair like me:( 3 years ago I though I was losing my hair! I stared at it every day. Then my childhood friend flew here to visit me and she commented on hers, and I was sooooo happy because I realized she wasnt losing her hair and neither was I :) Yes, I am crazy!!!!!!

But goosh I really hate it! I notice it on other people a lot, dont mean to but I stare at everybodies hair as I am a hair obysessed crazy person :)

It stills looks odd to me and it makes me feel like my hair is too thin. I took a picture but cant find how to get it on here????

Thegreenkiwi
December 22nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
Do you mean the hair whorl where the hair circles around? Never noticed (well, I've recently noticed DH's since his *is* starting to thin lol). Other peoples, nope, guess they're all just normal.

Gabriel
December 22nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
I have a cowlick or natural parting at the back of my head that I forgot I had and was super scared I had a huge bald spot the other day. I must have slept with my hair really flat on that side or something cause it really accented it.

amaiaisabella
December 22nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Yup, it's a cowlick. Mine shows up when my hair is oily/greasy or if I sleep the wrong way. It's a pain, especially if I am not able to wash my hair that day and cover it up. It also makes me wash my hair a lot sooner than I would normally :-(

claram89
December 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
I've got it too. Since my hair is still WAYYY to short, (Several inches MAX) it's really showing now. It is a weird spiral thing on the right back side of my head. Just WHOOSH all the way around

LaurenH
December 22nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
Mine shows up when my hair is oily/greasy or if I sleep the wrong way.

Sounds exactly like mine... And my thin hair definitely doesn't help. :rolleyes: Drives me crazy! :p

Lady Danger
December 22nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Oh yes, I have and LOATHE it. I have thin hair and a greasy scalp, so it shows very badly if my hair isn't freshly-washed. Even clean, you can see it a little, but it isn't quite as bad as when my scalp is dirty. It makes it really hard to throw my hair in a bun, because it makes me look like I'm going bald. :(

jivete
December 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
I think members here affectionately called it "scalp cleavage". I have one and despise it.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
I don't have that. I think it's partly because I haven't parted my hair since I was a teenager (except occasionally for two braids). Otherwise I comb it straight back and then let my hair fall as it may. Or maybe that has nothing to do with it; I don't know. I've noticed that people who always part their hair at the same place tend to have wider/bigger parts over time.

talecon
December 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
oo i got that. it irritates me how i cant comb my hair back without that part flopping open to the side. now you got me all touching it and stuff. yep I definitely have it

Fillette
December 22nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Yep I have that too. For some reason, my hair parts in the back and gets pouffy on the sides of my face. So I end up with a flat back of the head and a lot of volume around my face. Not a great look LOL :p

talecon
December 22nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
haha I know what thats like. in pictures it sux!

SunshineHair
December 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Spidermom,
Maybe I will try parting it different, yes I am one of those who never parts hair differently. Mainly because I have bangs that mess up if my hair is not just right, they curl to the left and they curl to the right. I tried to grow them out but I look better with them.

Thanks guys :)

Oh oh, hey is it normaly to have to sign in here everytime I make a post??

Tabitha
December 22nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
I have this - my hairdresser told me I had a double crown. At iii thickness, my hair's not thin by any standards.

Oh oh, hey is it normaly to have to sign in here everytime I make a post??

You need to tick "Remember me" when you log in.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Always log in at the little box on the upper right side of the screen and check the "remember me" box. Then you will have to log off when you are finished with LHC.

Lemur_Catta
December 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
I have this, and my hair is not thin! I hate when it shows in buns or ponytails, otherwise it is not really noticeable.

SunshineHair
December 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks you two!!!

bumblebums
December 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
It will show up if you have a cowlick and relatively thin hair. I usually brush my hair back, and I've got a noticeable part, especially a few days after a wash. I am guessing that this is because sebum travels along the direction of the hair growth, from the cowlick out. People often complain that the back of their head is greasier than other places. Who knows, though.

One thing that works for me in an updo is to make a braid out of the top third of the hair, by scooping it up from the ears upward. This forces my hair to lie back and cover up the "cleavage." It also adds a bit of height to the crown, which I like.

talecon
December 22nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
u can see a little bit of it in the purple hair picture in my signature. notice how my head isnt really round but has a bump sticking up on the right. thats it because I tried brushing my hair back

SunshineHair
December 22nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
talecon I only see it because you pointed it out. Your purple hair is very beautiful!

wilddaisies
December 22nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
I have this. It drives me crazy and makes me feel balled! I switch my part from my right side to my left all the time, but it still manages to peep out... Half up does are great for hiding it.

JenniferNoel
December 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
I have that problem, it's an annoying little cowlick that I've had since childhood. It always happens the day after a wash. I usually just wet the back and top of my hair and comb it back over the "bald spot" and keep it there to dry and that usually temporarily settles it. I hate it though, it's a real nuisance. :brickwall

Tangles
December 22nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
I have this "scalp cleavage" too. It makes my reasonably thick hair look as if it's thinning in that spot :( I haven't found any solutions, frankly. I try to keep a reasonable amount of volume at the crown to hide it as much as I can.

Ash
December 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
I have one on each side of my head. Many people have asked if I was going bald there. :( I guess most of them haven't seen a double crown before.

RavennaNight
December 22nd, 2009, 10:08 PM
I hate my cowlick. I hate scalp cleavage. :justy: :justy: :justy:
I have always wondered how to make my part not go so far back on my head. I never realized I had this issue until I started taking pics of the back of my head:o. It just naturally does it and I have to comb it back before hair pics.

RocketDog
December 22nd, 2009, 11:08 PM
I had issues with the crown whorl/cowlick when I first started growing out my buzz cut, but now that my hair has some length to it the weight pulls the hair relatively straight at the crown so it doesn't stick out in wonky ways. When my hair is pulled back I obsessively check it in the mirror before leaving to make sure I don't have any funky loops or 'cleavagey' bits showing above the braid/bun. Big peeve of mine, especially since my hair is not particularly thick and likes to clump up on itself, even when slicked back with a brush.

ArienEllariel
December 22nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
I have one on each side of my head. Many people have asked if I was going bald there. :( I guess most of them haven't seen a double crown before.

I have one too. I always feel like I'm going bald at the back of my head! xD No matter what, my hair refuses to lie flat on my crown. It always goes into that odd looking Y pattern.

adiapalic
December 22nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
Ohh! You mean the part on the crown of your head? I think it gets a bit parted more from sleeping on it. It pushes all the hair away from the crown. :)

Mine does that... as does my mama's.

Babyfine
December 24th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Yes, I'm a fine/thinney and it seems I'm always battling scalp cleavage! Either with my hair down(part in back too low) or when I have an updo.
I''m always re-arranging my hair as it dries(not supposed to I know) to cover that part.

My hair stylist actually told me it's a good idea to change your part periodically to keep hair from getting slightly thinner on the parted side.
I've been wearing the same slightly off center part for years.

Pixna
December 24th, 2009, 10:54 AM
YES!!! I was actually going to start a thread about this soon. I utterly detest my "scalp cleavage," and it has gotten worse of late (in the past year or so). I used to part my hair in the middle, then, several months ago, I started parting it on the side. However, the cleavage has no relationship to my part -- it's much farther off to the side than any of the parts I've had.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions (other than just combing the hair over it), please fire away. I hate this darned thing! Oh, and in case this photo disgusts you as much as it disgusts me, please purge it from your memory immediately after viewing!!!

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww160/Pixna/100_2524_2_2.jpg

Speckla
December 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Yep, totally normal. I have it too. It really freaks me out sometimes because I did lose about 1/3 of my hair 3 years ago. My hair has grown back plus some. It shows when my hair is really clean or still damp. I really try not to worry about it and it makes me feel better to see that other women have it too. I try to comb my crown area straight down when it's wet so it will dry there.

MuzicalH3rb
December 28th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Ohhhhh, mine drives me bonkers! I don't know why it bugs me so bad.

Sara Smile
December 29th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Yes, I have it too! I switch my part from far over on the left to far over on the right, every time I wash it, and the part in the back just migrates back and forth. :( Sometimes I try to brush my hair back to cover it, but it doesn't really work. It shows alot when I put my hair up, which I do every day. I just try to ignore it.

LilyMunster
December 29th, 2009, 09:59 AM
The only thing that has worked for scalp cleavage is to use the tiny claw clips right after washing. On totally dripping wet hair. Let it dry in the tiny claw clips. Leaves the crown w a good bit of height. Only works for the day.

Sissy
December 29th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I think members here affectionately called it "scalp cleavage". I have one and despise it.

ditto. I've one too and I also panic that it's too wide and perhaps I need to change my part. I do try to brush it back and that makes it less visible. It is very visible in some of my album photos!

Charlotte:)
July 18th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Yeah, when I was in Jr. High my friend told me I was bald in the back, and I've been self-conscious about it ever since.

christine1989
July 18th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I had a bit of that going on but I think it must have grown in or something because I can't see it anymore. I used to continually comb my hair over the "back part" to cover it up- maybe I eventually trained my hair to go the right direction....

ButterCream
July 18th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I don't have that. I think it's partly because I haven't parted my hair since I was a teenager (except occasionally for two braids). Otherwise I comb it straight back and then let my hair fall as it may. Or maybe that has nothing to do with it; I don't know. I've noticed that people who always part their hair at the same place tend to have wider/bigger parts over time.

I have never parted my hair ever because I don`t look good in it, and I STILL has that darn thing, ughhhhh:mad:

I have always, ever since a child combed my hair back and over that thing since I hate it and always have.

Have always been so super envious of those who don`t have that thing, you have no idea how lucky you are!

It is aaaaaalways a problem when doing the hair because if my hair isn`t freshly washed it always pops up the very next day and it doesn`t even help to comb, I have to either tease it (yes I know it is not good) or wash.

Have tried dry shampoos but that doesn`t help since it is flat, not neccesarily greasy, although I get greasy fast, always have. Think it is a hormonal thing with me, always had it like that, even with CO, vinegar rinse etc (but those things at least made it somewhat better:D)

I showered and washed my hair two hours before bed yesterday and it isn`t there...
woke up this morning and violahh theeeeeeere it iiiiiiis...:(
My hair was dry when I went to sleep btw.

My dad don`t have it, but my mom have the mother of all cowlicks in the back of her head...
...thanks mom..:o

Medievalmaniac
July 18th, 2010, 05:58 AM
All I can say here by way of support is that medium to medium-fine hair has a natural tendency to what we lovingly refer to as "hair cleavage" or the tendency to show bits of scalp here and there. I was thinking my hair was thinning a while back because I was seeing some scalp here and there, but my 6 year old daughter even has this - and she is definitely not losing her hair! :) Just push it back in place and forget about it, as much as you can. :D

dropinthebucket
July 18th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Yes, i also have thin hair, and my part goes half-way down the back of my head! and crooked - it's not even down the middle, but splits off to the right hand side. the hair around it grows furiously in the other direction so that any attempts to smooth it over and disguise it are ultimately ill-fated! it's just a weird growth pattern, but it's definitely been the bane of my hair existence. :(

tinti
July 18th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I have a cowlick that makes my part go way to low down on the back of my head. Really annoying.

becker
July 18th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I have a cowlick on the back of my head that makes my hair naturally part almost from ear to ear. Wasn't an issue when my hair was short, not an issue again now that my hair is long/heavy enough to lay flat over that spot. Sure did look funny during the awkward phases between short and shoulder.

andwife
September 24th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I know there hasn't been a post on here for awhile but I wanted to say THANK YOU!!!! I just got "into" my hair recently. I didn't look closely at the back. Plus, it is much softer now that I am not blowing it dry etc... Thus, I think it is closer to my scalp. (I don't know how to explain this.)
So, I noticed my part going to the back of my head and FREAKED! I tried to get my hubby to look at it and he just laughed. I just got off of the phone with my mom and she laughed. So, I did a search on here. I think this is what is going on with me. I hope so at least :-)

Crazycatlady
September 24th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I have this and so does my mom and her sister. Oh well. :( Sometimes I try to make myself feel better about it by telling myself that I'm kinda tall (5'7) so only shorter folks will really notice it. ;) Denial can be a beautiful thing.

jeanniet
September 24th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I have thick hair and the cleavage, so it isn't just thin hair. I try to remember to arrange my hair so it doesn't show, but I seem to spend a lot of time checking it in a hand mirror.

andwife
September 25th, 2010, 06:33 AM
OK- I just turned 40 and never noticed. So, how weird is that? It's just since I made my Hubby put up another mirror. LHC has ruined my life (LOL!) I"m obsessed over my hair routine and now I've found some weird part that made caused extreme terror of baldness. Anyway, all is well ;-)

Dragon
September 25th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Some time depending on the type of part I'm wearing. I change my part twice a week.

andwife
September 25th, 2010, 10:03 AM
There will be no part for awhile. It will be just back and up.

breezefaerie
September 25th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Yes, hair cleavage.
I have it.

maria84
February 14th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Does it actually help to part it on a different side? I don't see how you would go bald more quickly if you kept parting it in the same spot.

Miss Maisie
February 14th, 2012, 05:30 PM
YES. I HAVE THIS AND I HATE IT SO MUCH. It makes my hair look so thin. No matter what I do, it's always there. Unless, of course, I tease the crown a bit, that covers it.

Lady Neeva
February 14th, 2012, 09:03 PM
My dad has one, (his hair is a basic whoosh!) and if my hair was any shorter, I'll have one too!

KahRistAhn
February 14th, 2012, 10:35 PM
I have it... :( It is irritating!

Kira94
February 14th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I have it, and I hate it! I always feel like I'm going bald. If it weren't for that stupid spot I could stretch washes so much longer! :(

Pirate Cat
February 15th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Yes, I have it! And since I've stretched washes up to every six days it is sometimes very noticeable. I've been feeling a little better about it lately, since I've been seeing it on other people, and read this. :p

TheMechaGinger
February 15th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I just spray a little water on the back of my head and brush my hair a few times to straighten it out and then flip my head over and brush it down till my hair is dry again, that doesn't completely fix it but it helps a lot. I get it all the time, even when I sleep with my hair up =/

mamaherrera
November 5th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I have three cowlicks, I think, one in back and two in my front hairline and they make my hair cleavage show like crazy, but besides that I have a "wider" part anyways. It always goes in the middle, but like my husband says, it's not a problem, because whereever you open your hair, your part is that same wideness, maybe it has to do with having thick strands, but not so many of them, so lots of scalp. My curliness usually hides pretty well the back one, and I use bangs to hide the front. but when I do updos, I get paranoid because where ever I pull hair back, even it just loosely, right away you can see scalp!!

Kwantslonghair
November 5th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Yep. On my day after washing hair. I hate it

Shibe
November 5th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I have a natural middle part and it goes down so much you can see it on the back of my head! I really want to get rid of it :undecided

Flor
November 5th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I never used to look at my hair from the back until I jointed LHC and YES, I do have weird parting on the back. So glad I'm not alone! And I don't even part my hair on front, yet on the back it does it itself. I usually need to fine-comb it in that place after doing braids and buns, so it doesn't show.

freesia
November 5th, 2013, 01:30 PM
^^ I have it too, and use a fine comb to make it disappear.

Kherome
November 5th, 2013, 01:32 PM
It's just a cowlick

gingerclip
November 5th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Are we talking about something like this? This is my hair today. I last washed it 3 days ago and slept in a top knot last night.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5497/10696365603_66b65f64a9.jpg

When I used to blow dry my hair occassionally, it would go away. Or if I comb it constantly while it dries, it goes away. But as soon as I sleep on my hair or wear it up in a bun that kinks my hair near my scalp, I look like I have huge bald spots.

I hate it. Also, it make complicated updos with lots of accent braids look crappy. I get totally jealous when I see how smooth other people's hair lays on their scalp.

Agnes Hannah
November 5th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I have one too. Horrible things, I thought I was going to go bald. Glad I'm not alone, have worried about this for some time, mine is prominent when I put up my hair or second day after wash day having slept on it.

Flor
November 5th, 2013, 02:01 PM
gingerclip, yup, that's pretty much what mine looks like too!

gingerclip
November 5th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I think I need some of that spray "hair" in a can. If it's good enough for balding men, it's good enough for me! Think they make it in cone-free, sulphate-free, non-damaging options? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GeF7A05zQ8

katelinn
November 5th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I haven't yet met someone that doesn't have a cowlick,it's probably just not a massive one on some people. I hsvr one, but it doesn't bother me.My daughter has two righyt on the crown area..the twpo cowlicks swirl different ways so when she was a baby and her hair was growing she had a natural mohawk for quite some time. I have told her that its no point for her ever going shorthaired, cause she'd struggle like mad getting the hair to sit.

Kiwiwi
November 5th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I have it a bit.
It's more visible when I wear my curls. It's not really there if I don't.
And I have iii hair so I guess it has nothing to do with thickness.

wrh452
November 5th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I have that problem, but it is way better now that my layers are grown out a bit. If its too bad, I just do a half up style and comb my hair straight back over it

ejking2
November 5th, 2013, 08:45 PM
I thought I was the only one! Mine looks like gingerclip's too. My hair isn't thin at all.

Flor
November 6th, 2013, 03:48 AM
I think I need some of that spray "hair" in a can. If it's good enough for balding men, it's good enough for me! Think they make it in cone-free, sulphate-free, non-damaging options? LOL

You know, you may be joking, but I've been suspecting that some celebrities use something of that sort still today. Take Kardashian sisters. Sometimes you see them with wide parting on front and thinner temple areas, other times you can't see any skin showing at all, although hair is styled same way. They all wear weaves, obviously, but those only go on the back.

gingerclip
November 7th, 2013, 01:25 PM
You know, you may be joking, but I've been suspecting that some celebrities use something of that sort still today. Take Kardashian sisters. Sometimes you see them with wide parting on front and thinner temple areas, other times you can't see any skin showing at all, although hair is styled same way. They all wear weaves, obviously, but those only go on the back.

I was joking but I have considered using colored hair powder on it. I have this pinned on my pinterest http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/07/no-photoshop/ I don't use hair powder very much anymore because I can go a full week without needing to wash my hair. But when I used to use it, I remember seeing that certain brands come in colors. Bumble & bumble, I think.

panffle
November 7th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I got that too. It goes to the right a little bit, and it looks sorta funny when I have a middle part that makes a curve to the right on the back of my head.
Usually when my hair starts getting greasy and it shows more, I just put my hair up. I only wear my hair down ever if it's been washed very recently. It still shows then, but very slightly anyway.

summergreen
November 7th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I have it and I hate it. I clip the hair over it after washing, and every night I make a small braid over it to pull the hair backwards. I hope it works! It looks ok in my mirror but I know my friends would be too kind to tell me the truth if it looked really noticeable in daylight.

vanillabones
November 7th, 2013, 04:27 PM
I too suffer from this really deep part. I hate my scalp cleavage but it is unavoidable. I change my part about every 6 months so it will not widen. I have a hard time keeping the part short and combing the rest back to NOT have scalp cleavage but as already posted the only away to avoid this is a halfup! Just even gathering half the hair in the center of the back of the skull and putting a bobby pin or barrette fixes it ;) although I'll always wish I didn't have to deal with it at all... my hair is so thin it disgusts me sometimes.
I've been doing a single side braid lately, it hides it too!!

Ocelan
November 12th, 2013, 09:00 AM
I used to wear my hair parted in the center for years and now even though I have only deliberately parted my hair twice in the past nearly 2 years and even then I do a side part. My center part just appears, even if I have my hair brushed back which I now do every time for my buns. It starts to part in the center and I really dislike it.

Also, I have a cowlick at the very end of the part which makes it suddenly turn about 45 degrees to the right from a straight line. It really feels like a bald patch and it kind of looks like it too, but it isn't. I dislike it too. I envy all the people without parts!

Mainesongbird
November 12th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I have one too, it is off center in the back!

bunzfan
November 12th, 2013, 09:33 AM
I have one too i thought it was a double crown?? both my children do as well :D

Jennielee88
November 12th, 2013, 12:44 PM
YES :( mine does and I hate it. I have to arrange it at the back and spray it in place to hide my parting