PDA

View Full Version : Biotin, MSM, and Glucosamine: Should be taken together for faster hair growth?

pinchbeck
December 22nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Most of us are aware that bioton and MSM can aid in faster hair growth for some people. But...I just found out that taking glucosamine can also help.

Read the purple paragraph below only if bored about how I found out about glucosamine:
I went to my sister's for Christmas dinner and saw that she was taking biotin and glucosamine. A few months back I remember her stating she wanted her hair as long as mine (that's before I cut 3.5" off a couple of months ago). I asked her what she is taking the biotin for (just to see what she'd say!) and she said, "I am taking it for my nails". Than I asked her what the glucosamine was for and she said something else that was similar and misleading. So, being as informed as I am about biotin I added that it is good for hair growth. With a surprised look on her face she said, "well...that's a good side effect". I am not sure why she was hiding the fact that she is trying to rush her hair growth, but I did find it interesting.

The following is copied and pasted from the Internet about biotin, MSM, and glucosamine: Any specialized vitamins taken for fast hair growth should also contain biotin (to thicken hair strands), MSM (to prolong the growth phrase) and glucosamine (for the production of collagen and the collective of proteins). These vitamins can double the normal growth rate of your hair.

Is the above true about glucosamine? I would have never known until I saw this in my sister's kitchen cupboard! It must be a trade secret that she does not want to reveal.:D

redneckprincess
December 22nd, 2009, 11:23 AM
I am taking biotin, MSM and gelatin for my hair growth

Rapunzal2Be
December 22nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
MSM is often paired with glucosamine when used as a supplement for joint health, right? I've always just searched out the MSM separately, now I guess next time I'll pick up one with glucosamine as well. (But I'd not heard of that before this thread.)

Bellona
December 22nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
The MSM I take has glucosamine added. Biotin seems to not agree with my skin, but the MSM/glucosamine combo has made my skin very soft and my hair growth stay steady throughout the winter.

jojo
January 16th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I have started taking both these no biotin as it makes me develope cyst like spots but i got an inch in a month, i grew 2.5" in all of 2009.

Harriet
January 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Sorry, what does MSM stand for?

lapushka
January 16th, 2010, 08:19 AM
MSM is often paired with glucosamine when used as a supplement for joint health, right?

Yep, I've been on glucosamine in combination with chondroitine sulphate for a long time, for joint issues. Recently the formula was updated to include MSM. Haven't noticed my hairgrowth speeding up, though. It's still half an inch and sometimes less than half an inch a month.

I don't really believe there are formulas that can increase the rate at which the hair grows.

pinchbeck
January 16th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Sorry, what does MSM stand for?MSM is short for Methylsulfonylmethane. Here is a link about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylsulfonylmethane

2peasinapod
January 16th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I take glucosamine with MSM for my joints and a multivitaminn with biotin for my hair. My hair seems to be growing well (I don't know how fast since I never measure), and it's so much healthier than it ever was before. I would recommend it.

tanula
February 4th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I am wondering if taking protein shake and eating white skinless meat would be the same as taking collagen supplements?

Carolyn
February 4th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I've taken all three of those supplements for years but haven't seen an extra quarter inch of hair growth. I get a half inch per month no matter what I do.