PDA

View Full Version : Why did this happen?

*Aoife*
December 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
I oiled for the first time yeaterday evening. A few drops of coconut oil on damp hair. My hair was lovely last night but now its horrible! It seemed fine this morning but I realised during an exam today that the ends were crunchy and stuck together :( I have this horrible streak that just feels so oily. I put the same amount of oil there as I did every where else. Why did this happen and how can I fix it?

GoddesJourney
December 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Sounds like you put too much oil and didn't distribute it evenly. It should be no more than what makes your hands a little shiny. Check your hands half way through oiling. They should still be shiny or you used it all in one place.

*Aoife*
December 22nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
I only used the smallest amount of oil. My hands were still shiney at the end.

Is coconut oil meant to smell icky? I thought it would have been a nice smell.

2peasinapod
December 22nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Did you sleep on your hair with the oil in it? Sometimes when I oil, I leave it on overnight and wash it the next day. It never looks good after I sleep on it.

girlcat36
December 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
I always hated coconut oil until I learned that I needed to clarify my hair frequently. Coconut oil on top of build up just gave me bad hair.
I was always afraid to clarify; thought it would dry out my hair--but I got over that.
Me and coconut oil have been friends ever since!

Spike
December 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
And it may be that you (and I) have hair that doesn't care for coconut oil.

I tried coconut for a while, and always came out crunchy and greasy. Worst was one time I oiled heavily on purpose, let it soak, and tried a CO wash to get it out. FAIL. Oh, boy, fail. I thought it was going to take _dishwashing_ soap to get it all back out.

I like Nightblooming's mix--3-5 drops on wet hair on "not-washing" days works nicely. Not too greasy, distributes well, and the individual hairs are thicker.

Gabriel
December 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
I wanted to add that coconut oil isn't meant to smell icky. The brand I have doesn't smell bad... Maybe something happened to your coconut oil?

spidermom
December 22nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Oil does go rancid after awhile, so if it smells bad, it IS bad. Time to get rid of it.

Sometimes my hair will absorb every drop of oil that I put in it, and I can't even tell I oiled it. Other times my hair looks greasy after the tiniest application. I don't know why this happens, but if it gets greasy I just wash it sooner. I've concluded that hair has changing needs from day to day, so I don't expect to get the same results from the same treatment anymore. Oh wondrous variety! haha (although I do wish that I got reliable results, then I could have a good hair day every day)