PDA

View Full Version : New Years & hair-cutting

pinkbunny
December 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
For those who celebrate New Year on January 1st, I have a question: Isn't there a superstition relating to cutting hair around this holiday? I feel like I've heard something about it being bad luck either before or after - I can't remember which, though. I was wondering because, coincidentally, my 5-week microtrim is due exactly on New Year's Day! shudder:

redneckprincess
December 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
never heard of such a thing!!! BUT a micro trim is hardly a cut...(on someone else, If I was getting the micro trim it would be considered {to me} a cut)New year is a good time for a new start

OleanderTime
December 22nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Hmm, that's funny because I'm kind of superstitious about the New Year and I always figured it was a great time for change. I always try to start over around then, so if I was wanting to cut my hair, I think that'd be a great time to do it.

But I'm glad you posted this, so perhaps it will dissuade me should I get the urge!

enfys
December 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
I've never heard of a superstition surrounding it, but if you want me to start one then

"New year's day is a very good day for trimming without guilt because it's a calender set new beginning".

There we are. Go for it!

Copasetic
December 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
I've never heard about any kind of New Years hair superstitions, but if you want to be really safe you can always push your trim back a day or two :D

Madame J
December 22nd, 2009, 09:33 AM
If you want to be superstitious, this year, New Year's Eve is a full moon, and a Blue moon (second full moon in a month), so it would be an auspicious time to trim for thicker growth.

Loreley
December 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
I'll cut (well, trim) my hair on 1st January. I promised myself at the beginning of autumn that I wouldn't trim any more this year. (After chopping of 4 inches.) I hope it will be all right and I won't be unlucky after that. :couch: :p

pinkbunny
December 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
Hmmm, I think redneckprincess, OleanderTime, and enfys have a valid point about it being a "new beginning" and it makes sense - BUT - after doing a little research it would represent a new conundrum. One popular superstition for New Year's Day is to avoid cleaning, including the house and even hair... I like to wash my hair first so it will lay still, and then sweep the floor after the trim. I did find a site about the Chinese New Year that mentions getting a trim in preparation of the event - so maybe that's where I picked it up? I think I like MadameJ's suggestion (I didn't realize it would be a blue moon! How cool is that?) and like Copasetic said, moving it a day or two won't make a huge difference (as far as gaining/losing length). Out with the old, in with the new - so New Year's Eve it is, then!

It's still an interesting topic to debate, I'd love to hear everyone's take on it...

ap1524
December 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
I wonder if dusting split ends counts? In any event I think I will hold off until a few weeks into the new year just to be safe! :)

halo_tightens
December 22nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Hmmm, there's a thought... I'm torn on whether or not to do a tiny trim, since I haven't done it once yet to clean up my ends since deciding to grow my hair. Maybe I could start a new routine of trimming only "once in a blue moon," starting with this one? :p

Akiko
December 22nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
New Year's Day and the following two days are a big deal in Japan. We want to start everything fresh and clean.

Cleaning the house, preparing New Year's Traditional meals, grooming, etc., etc., We want them all done by 31st Dec. So we can wake up fresh and prepared on New Year's Day. For some, it includes nice hair. Thus get your hair done before New Year's Day.

Practically speaking, retailers are usually closed on New Year's Day. Hair salons and barbers are closed at least for the first 3 days of the year, too. So it's difficult to get hair trimmed on Jan 1st. You can do self-trimming any time. But I personally don't feel like doing it that day.

So it's a cultural thing rather than superstition. If you would like to start New Year with a nice trim, go for it.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
I always do something that I've been putting off on New Years day. One year it was wash, vacuum, and wax the car. This year it was getting rid of old paperwork and reorganizing my filing system. It's a symbolic thing with me: out with the old, in with the new! And I'll do the same to start the new year this time around.

(I've never done anything with my hair on New Year day, though.)