PDA

View Full Version : Shedding baby hairs?

Rapunzal2Be
December 22nd, 2009, 06:30 AM
I have a hard time understanding the ins and outs of shedding. I know it is a natural process that has to do with the growth cycles of the hair, but I also know that things people do can affect the amount of shedding they have. So this confuses me.

I've always shed a lot, even in HS and college - a handful of hair in the shower - and I still have roughly the same amount of hair I always have. So I'm guessing this is just a normal thing for me, but I would love to slow it down and gain more thickness (if possible?). Since joining here I have tried Nioxin, garlic, MSM, monistat, scalp brushing, saw palmetto, and washing in cooler water. Everything seems to make a difference in the beginning and then it gradually goes back to my usual amount. :mad:

The point of my question is, though, that I've lately noticed that a bunch of my shed hairs are baby hairs. They have a root end and a tapered end, so I have no reason to think they are breakage.

Why do we shed baby hairs? Is it part of the natural process? Or is it a sign that something is wrong? Is it saying that my follicles went into the resting phase too quickly?

I'll add that I'm going through a divorce, my decision, but still extremely stressful. I told him I was leaving back at the end of August and was not actually able to leave until mid November - so it is an on-going stressor for me. Could this be a factor?

I'm just worried. Shedding that is just my normal process I can live with, but if this is a sign of something else going wrong, I'd like to know. Can someone who understands the process shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

danacc
December 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Some of my hair has a very short terminal length. These are visible along my hairline, especially at my temples and nape. When they shed, they look like "baby hair". But they're not; that's just as long as those strands ever get.

So, it's not necessarily a sign of there being something wrong.

Stress can induce more shedding, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you are seeing a decrease in ponytail circumference.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
I shed very short hairs too. I have no idea why some hairs have such a short growing cycle.

DMARTINEZ
December 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Me too. The baby hairs that is...dont know why either. Ive given up wondering! ;)

Deb

GoddesJourney
December 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
We all have some hairs that shed out short. For me, it's the ones closer to my face. Anyway, there are a few things that have worked for me.. that's cold water wash (not just the rinse) SLS free shampoos, cone free conditioners, and NO brushing. Brushing makes me shed like crazy, especially while my hair is wet. Also, a silk pillowcase seems to help with the baby hairs. I find that they are finer on me and so they rub off easier.

shockinglength
December 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
I shed them too!

utdesertrunner
December 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
So do I! Especially here lately.

mamaherrera
June 7th, 2013, 10:58 AM
This is my thing lately too that I've noticed, not because it's new, but I just noticed that I shed some baby hairs daily too. But just wondering, how long are your baby hairs. Mine that I consider baby, are like barely getting to 2 inches. I figure they come from my nape and my temple area as I see short hairs there, but I would love for those to grow longer. What length are your baby hairs????

Alienor
June 9th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Same thing here. I noticed it recently, about 8 months ago. For me it's very easy to see them as I'm growing out my henna color and I have some white hair, most of the baby hair shed are completely white with a 2 or 4 inches size.

partlycloudy
June 10th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I shed baby hairs too! Some of my hair just seems to have a very short terminal length, as far as I can tell, especially around my hairline. This has always been the case for me. :rolleyes:

lapushka
June 10th, 2013, 04:31 PM
If you're used to shedding a certain amount, it's "normal" for you. You absolutely cannot make your hair thicker by trying to reduce shedding that is normal to you. It's a normal bodily process. You shed. Period. I also wouldn't worry about the baby hairs. It happens. Hope the stress factor soon lessens for you. Take care! :flower:

mamaherrera
July 5th, 2013, 05:59 PM
does anyone find that these 'baby" hairs are also a bit finer in thickness? Is it because they come from the edges, temples, hairline, etc??? I see mine are slightly thinner, not like vellus, they're colored and such, but definitely not as coarse as my long hairs.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 5th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I think it is normal to shed baby hairs as well as longer hairs, I wouldn't worry about it. I shed them too. It's just part of the shed/grow process.

mamaherrera
July 25th, 2013, 08:17 PM
One more thing I find. That yes, the ones closest to my face are 2-4 inches, but even going down to my ear and inwards a bit, like an inch in, those suckers still only want to grow about six inches long. After about an inch, than they are long, but I have that whole area that never goes into updos, just kind of goes down and around the ear and vary between 2-6 inches.

Rose Angel
July 27th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Oy, me too!! But I have sebhorreic dermatitis so I thought I shed them due to plugged up folicles full of oil & dandruff. But I geuss its normal since so many people are saying they do too?