PDA

View Full Version : I Have Just A Few Questions :)

SunshineHair
December 22nd, 2009, 01:45 AM
As stated in the newbie sections, I found this site last night. I read through many posts! I kept reading about Cones, can somebody tell me what these are??

A lot of my hair on the top of my hair, and on the sides are grey --gerrr! So I color my hair. But the hairs that are grey have a thicker, course feel and it really looks bad! And they stick out and look wirey. My hair underneath, is soft, feels healthy and has no grey and I dont touch it with anything. So for the top abused hairs that have a different texture, is there anything I can do to make it look and feel better?

I am starting to work on my diet and trying hard to not stress out. But really, would that effect the grey I have at all? I am hoping it will at least help with the amazing amount of short hairs sticking out at the top that I have. There are so many that it makes me worry my hair is weak from my bad diet and stress. In certain lighting it looks HORRIBLE... other people tell me they dont se eit but man I sure do, it is ugly :( I want pretty hair!

Tangerine
December 22nd, 2009, 02:14 AM
Welcome! :)

"Cones" are sillicone ingredients in hair products (shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner, serum, etc). An example is dimethicone. So any ingredients on your product bottles ending in -cone (there are also with different endings but they escape me now .. ). The idea is that they apply slip to your hair, making it easier to detangle.
There are those who swear by them, those who aren't really fussed, and those who prefer a no-cone routine,

Why don't you have a look at the Salt & Pepper thread on the Mane forum - a lovely community of people deciding to grow out their beautiful grey hair. You may be able to find inspiration or tips.

It sounds to me like the shorter hairs on top of your head are baby hairs (i.e. new growth), so nothing to worry about. You could apply a smidgen of oil, aloe vera gel or serum to your handpalms and then smooth it over the top of your head. That usually keeps those babies down :D

Most of all, have fun reading lots and lots (it can be a little overwhelming at the start! Just take a deep breath and let it wash over you ... and it'll all fall into place over time ;) ) and joining in with the chatter!

:blossom:

melikai
December 22nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
Here is a great article that explains what they are, and gives a list of the different kinds. :flower:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13

Also check out the VIT links at the top of each section of the forum!

GoddesJourney
December 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
You have a great color for henna. I would start by giving up whatever chemical dye you're probably using on the grey parts and start using henna. Search this forum because there is so much wonderful information about henna use.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
I have white hairs that are very coarse and wirey. That's just how they are; I don't think I can change that. I use Natures Gate styling putty to stroke down the most stubborn hairs that stick up. Similar products that I've tried were too gluey, but my current product does the job, and I can comb through it with no trouble later. As for coloring, I'm letting nature do what it will, and I think it's pretty.

pinchbeck
December 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Your hair is lovely and it looks like it has tight waves and is almost curly (hard to tell from a little avatar). What colour is it naturally? I think hair colour is very damaging and there are healthier alternatives such as henna and cassia. Henna is used for a red colour.

Like you I have grey and hate it. I am trying to learn how to accept this phase of my life. But, as they get more prominent I may choose to soften their colour with cassia.

It sounds like you may have a lot going on in your life (or in your head, like me) and that is why TLHC is a great place to be a part of. There are so many supportive intelligent members. I wonder if hair-cutters like you and myself should create a post where we support one other and encourage each other not to cut (or dye) our hair. I wonder if one exists already?

Okay...the first step for you is when you see new growth cover it with henna if your goal is to stay red. However, if you want to go back to your virgin hair colour then let your hair grow and maybe cover the greys with cassia so they don't bug you as much!

Spike
December 22nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Grey hairs often have a different texture than colored hairs--it's just part of how they are. :shrug:

Second the cassia/henna recommendations if you're looking for a gentler way to cover up the grey color. These are highly permanent coverings, though.

SunshineHair
December 22nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks to each of you for the directions and ideas! I must tell you that my avatar is an old picture. I just wanted to put up a pic of my hair that would stand out being so small!

Right now my hair is how you guys say below should length, it is actually to my should blades-17 inches! The middle to bottom of it is the old henned ends, and I refure to touch that part w/ chemicls again! The middle to top of what I have used a dye over to cover the grey.

I wish I could just let the grey grow out but I feel that it looks weird? It started slowly when I was 16, and I am only 31 and it is ugly! But I will try the oils to slick down the 'out stickers'

I will also check out those articles about cones and the other that was posted! Thanks again for the replies :)