PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Hairstyle Advice

angelthadiva
December 21st, 2009, 08:00 PM
I have an interview tomorrow; unfortunately not for a job, but for my field placement interview for my internship. I have had one interview already with my field placement supervisor, but tomorrow it will be at the actual agency. I want to make the best possible impression.

I am a little nervous, but I'm sure I will be fine tomorrow. My question is how should I wear my hair? I've been doing the updo challenge for well over 750 days now; so I can do many different styles. I've also stopped dying my hair; in a little over a month I'll celebrate my dye free year...So, I do have considerable outgrowth that could be easily disguised by certain styles, but more obvious with others.

I live in a very cold, region with snow on the ground. I've decided on my clothing already. Grey and black dress pants with a white, long sleeve dress shirt w/French cuffs.

missjessiecakes
December 21st, 2009, 08:03 PM
I'd say keep it simple and sleekish. If you do anything too busy while pretty it might distract from you.

peachrose
December 21st, 2009, 09:07 PM
I think a classic updo always looks nice and professional for interviews. Maybe a french twist or braided bun? Good luck!

angelthadiva
December 21st, 2009, 09:17 PM
I'd say keep it simple and sleekish. If you do anything too busy while pretty it might distract from you.

Thanks for the input. I agree anything too busy would be distracting; that's why I was thinking of an updo rather than letting it be down.

I think a classic updo always looks nice and professional for interviews. Maybe a french twist or braided bun? Good luck! I agree. At my length and thickness, a French Twist won't work. A braided bun would work though. ;) Thank you for the well-wishes :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
December 21st, 2009, 09:22 PM
I agree with the others and I would avoid pulling all of my hair straight back, I would let some curls fall around my face to avoid the 'strict teacher' look.

ETA: totally off topic but since we live in the same area I couldn't help but chuckle at your location tag! lol

EETA: Something like this (http://www.celebrity-hair-styles-magazine.com/images/updo-celebrity-hairstyles-09.jpg) so its soft around your face and not distracting from whatever it is you decide to do with the back :)

and this too (http://prommafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/vanessa-hudgens-prom-updo-hair.jpg).

Yozhik
December 21st, 2009, 09:33 PM
Good luck on your interview - you'll do wonderfully :)
Pick a hairstyle that makes you feel powerful and in control. I'd advocate pulled back -- perhaps a bun?

angelthadiva
December 21st, 2009, 09:37 PM
Cherry_Sprinkle: I think you are the only person who has commented on my location, much less "got" what it means :thumbsup: come drive down my road...Trust me a horse and buggy would be a much smoother ride, I think!

I love both of those styles; my only reluctance is, if I wear it like that, my silvery will definitely show. It does not bother me in the least bit; I don't look old ;) but do you think it will be an okay impression?

Cherry_Sprinkle
December 21st, 2009, 09:44 PM
Cherry_Sprinkle: I think you are the only person who has commented on my location, much less "got" what it means :thumbsup: come drive down my road...Trust me a horse and buggy would be a much smoother ride, I think!

I love both of those styles; my only reluctance is, if I wear it like that, my silvery will definitely show. It does not bother me in the least bit; I don't look old ;) but do you think it will be an okay impression?

I think pulling all of the hair back away from the face will give more of the 'harsh older woman' look, and I'd avoid that for an interview, if you pair it with a nice polished pretty bun and some softer hairs around the face, I think it's a great look regardless of age. I don't know how much silver you have in your hair, but I don't think it would be bad.. Stacy London (http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/stacy_london.jpg) has some silver and I don't think anyone accuses her of looking old or unpolished ;)

ETA: This (http://www.hairstylesguru.com/images/formal.JPG) is what I would avoid.

LisaB234
December 21st, 2009, 09:51 PM
I like the idea of a braided bun. I would leave a few pieces down or pull the front/top back gently if you don't have any bangs/layers. Love Cherry Sprinkles suggestions. As for the silver - well, I'm a few years older than you are and wouldn't think twice about that - think of them as beautiful natural highlights!

The important thing for interview hair is that you feel confident and comfortable and that you don't fidget with your hair. If loose styles or pieces down would make you fidgety, then smooth it all back - very professional!

Good luck tomorrow!

angelthadiva
December 26th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions! I decided to do a loose, but secure cinna clippy bun. I have these awesome octi clips that are kinda small and are perfect for this style.

The interview went well. It only lasted 20 minutes; after telling him about myself, he thought I'd be a perfect fit for the program and left the final choice up to me whether to do my internship with them. I thought the program was a perfect fit for me as well and am eagerly excited to begin...In August!

GlamFanatic
December 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM
french braid /bun would be professional and not distracting while the focus is on your ability.