PDA

View Full Version : Layers

shockinglength
December 21st, 2009, 07:45 PM
For thoes of you that have grown out layers...how did you do it? Major cut? only trimmed the bottom? occontionaly trimmed the layers?I'd love to hear you methods!

Dars
December 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Mine are nearly grown out. I let them grow with the rest of my hair. I do S&D and I did a mircotrim last month.

Cherry_Sprinkle
December 21st, 2009, 08:40 PM
I am growing mine out. I will maintain at classic length until my layers are gone and my hair is in good condition :) I was temped to chop it all one length but I am really glad that I haven't yet.

handsclean
December 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM
I think mine are almost grown out! I've just been dusting them for splits while trimming the bottom layer. They are all catching up.

Liat
December 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM

SheaLynne
December 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM
I am currently trimming 1/4" each month to gradually take off the older ends and get rid of layers. I'm still gaining some length each month, and the layers will be gone eventually without taking a big chop that reduces the updos I can do. My longest ends are almost to hip, and I'm hoping by doing this that by the time I am at tailbone, I will have no layers and a nice hemline. :)

shockinglength
December 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
Do you think that layers grow faster than the rest of the hair? I'm not sure :p

Toothe
December 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM
Certain parts of your hair may grow faster than others. For me, my longest layer shot to waist length in no time, while the rest of the thickness is just passing BSL. It looks odd and scraggly...but I can't bring myself to part with any length!

Naamah
December 21st, 2009, 11:11 PM
I'm trying to grow out my layers. I did a 2 inch trim a few weeks ago, only on the bottom and leaving the layers alone. I don't seem to have any split ends on my layers, so I'm not going to trim them at all. I'm going to do regular trims so they catch up to the rest of my length. :)

julliams
December 22nd, 2009, 03:24 AM
My shortest layer is shoulder length and this length is not my best look. I have thought about going to one length many times but I think this is more the urge to cut rather than anything else. I think what I'm going to do is grow to waist which is my initial goal then then I will survey the situation. If my layers are a problem for me I will just cut every month until they are even, thereby maintaining the length at waist. If it's not a problem I will head for classic (can't believe I am saying this!!!) The reason I say that is because waist was the longest I wanted to go initially and now I am making another goal - lol

Juliette

Dreams_in_Pink
December 22nd, 2009, 03:36 AM
i gave myself a major haircut & regretted it :shake:

Calista
December 22nd, 2009, 04:04 AM
I grew out my layers by microtrimming every so often while growing from shoulder to about APL at the same time. I did not trim my layers until they caught up eventually.

morguebabe
December 22nd, 2009, 04:44 AM
I would grow it out, and trim up the shortest layer. Then wait a few months, then trim up the next layer.

vamq
December 22nd, 2009, 04:49 AM
I've had layers.

I was sick and tired of doing microtrims (I tried for half a year), so I went to a hairdresser. She cut off 15 cm, and almost all my layers were gone :) That was the one and probably the only time I was satisfied with a hairdresser cutting off so much hair.

Yeah, my hair was quite short for a while (a bit below APL, I wasn't used to that) but my hemline was even and thick. A perfect start to grow long again, and I'm glad I did it.

Addy
December 22nd, 2009, 05:15 AM
I'm a grower and a chopper when it comes to layers... and color. Obviously! :D

hmmm
December 22nd, 2009, 05:25 AM
I grew out my layers by microtrimming every so often while growing from shoulder to about APL at the same time. I did not trim my layers until they caught up eventually.

How long did that take you? How often were you trimming your hair?

Calista
December 22nd, 2009, 06:01 AM
How long did that take you? How often were you trimming your hair?
Oh boy, I have no idea. :shrug: A year? Let me see if I can dig up any pics...

OK, this is where I started in June 2005:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1095&pictureid=12450

And this is a year later, August 2006:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1095&pictureid=12451

I donīt know how often I trimmed during that time. I think I trimmed 1-2 cm each time, so it wouldnīt be exactly microtrims. :o

Tap Dancer
December 22nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
I've had layers off and on over the years. I always cut them off once the shortest layer was chin to shoulder length. My hair is all one length at the moment and I enjoy it more this way.

hmmm
December 22nd, 2009, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the pics, Calista. :flower: Your hair looks beautiful.

marikamt
December 22nd, 2009, 07:51 AM
Oh boy, I have no idea. :shrug: A year? Let me see if I can dig up any pics...

OK, this is where I started in June 2005:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1095&pictureid=12450

And this is a year later, August 2006:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1095&pictureid=12451

I donīt know how often I trimmed during that time. I think I trimmed 1-2 cm each time, so it wouldnīt be exactly microtrims. :o

WHOA! Your hair grows FAST! I hope I have a result like that at my year anniversary......

Calista
December 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Thank you, ladies. marikamt, I know, it seems a lot for that short a time, doesnīt it? These days it seems to grow much more slowly. :shrug: Maybe Iīm getting old... :p

Leabhar
December 24th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I just sucked it up and cut it from a deep V into a blunt, straight-across and grew it out. Layers make you do more stray-wrangling in updos and braids, lol.

Captain Nikki
December 24th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I've basically gotten rid of my layers but it's taken 2 years. Every 3 months i've had the HD take off about a centimetre off the bottom & i've just been S&Ding the rest. Still have the V shape happening:mad:but hoping to have it all the same length soon. The V shape looks ok but i'm just sick of it.

polywednesday
January 1st, 2010, 09:00 PM
I started growing out my layers after a tremendously bad layered cut in August. The longest layer is about 6 inches longer than the shortest, so I figure it'll take me until next August to have it all grown out to nearly waist. Then I can grow it all out to beyond my waist again.

I'll be trimming the longest layer now that it's at the nearly waist length and keeping it there until the shorter layers catch up. It should start looking better after a few more months. The bottom layer is super thin and the top layers are really thick, but I can't bear to cut my hair to the shorter layer length---just a couple inches below the shoulder. That's just more than I can bear.

Emerson
January 1st, 2010, 09:04 PM
I just let them grow out and trimmed the bottom, but I also only had layers framing my face.

30isthenewblack
January 2nd, 2010, 02:00 AM
This is an interesting thread which I will subscribe to. I want to keep my layers but have longer layers. My first layer is 19" and my last layer is 32.5" so there is a bit of a difference there. It doesn't look two bad though and someone commented that my hair was all the same length the other week! I don't think I'll go for the big chop because my hair always grows into a U shape regardless of what I do. When I reach my goal length, I'll start trimming the longer layers more until they catch up.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 2nd, 2010, 02:22 AM
major cut.

result: sorrow :(

Ally<3
January 2nd, 2010, 04:46 AM
What do you do when your layers seem to have more splits that the ends? My ends are pretty good, but my layers need to good cut. Doesn't really work for someone who wants to grow to one length. Any suggestions?

JenniferNoel
January 2nd, 2010, 06:15 AM
It seems that the top layers of my hair grow nearly a third faster than the bottom, so no matter how short the layers (when I grew them out first, the shortest one was an inch long, with my hair at my collar bones), without any cutting, they tend to go away on their own after a while.

Cool!

Chibbylick
January 2nd, 2010, 06:23 AM
I had layers put in recently to try and get out old damage from highlights. My hairdresser used thinning scissors for most of it, but also razored some. My plan is/was to grow to waist and maintain while the layers grow out. I hate how thin my hair feels now, and have never seen more split ends than I've got now. The razor was a really bad idea. :( I still see some of the highlight bits, but they are not chunky anymore, and don't bother me nearly as much as they did at before my layers. I'm not sure if I plan to go completely layer free, I think I need some layers to bring out my curl.
Chibby

Carolyn
January 2nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
I did mine a little at a time. I'd trim about an inch off the longest layers about every 2-3 months. Sometimes I did 1/4" trims. It was a long process but well worth it.

Forever_Sophie
January 2nd, 2010, 08:53 AM
Last time, I did it in small cuts (because I'd reached my goal length), but in the past I've often just cut it all to one length.

Dreamernz
January 2nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
I'm just doing gradually, to chicken to do it all in one go lol

jaine
January 2nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
I plan to keep my layers until at least BSL length - I need them to avoid bottom-heavy and triangle-shaped hair. I envy the lucky ones whose hair gets longer instead of wider! :)
I will consider a layer-free look when my hair is longer ... maybe it will have enough natural taper that I can still avoid a triangle shape without layers.