PDA

View Full Version : Beginners braids + updos

coscass
December 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM
There might be a post on this already, but I was just thinking I'd like to start trying to use some sticks or do some nice braids every once in a while, just to learn them before I get layers cut into my hair.

Are there any prime ones that are good for beginners that you guys could recc? Even just a name would be fine, I can look up a video or instructions myself.

hmmm
December 22nd, 2009, 05:56 AM
I like this site (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/), it helped me to learn how to french and dutch braid my own hair. For updos I really like these (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige) videos, but my hair isn't long enough to do any of them. Good luck!

camirra555
December 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
I'll be watching this thread. I need to learn to do some more styles, especially updos to help protect my hair in these winter months

rags
December 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
If you know how to do an English braid, then definetly learn a French or Dutch (or both). You can do so much with them - braid alone, braid and bun the tail, double braids, etc. As for easy beginner updos, the lazy wrap is good if your hair is long enough.

*Aoife*
December 22nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
What is the difference between english and dutch braids? I can't seem to figure it out.

Lemur_Catta
December 22nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
When you do an English braid, you divide your all hair in three sections and braid them. It is the easies and the most common braid.
When you do a Dutch\French braid, you start with a small section of your hair, taken from the top of your head, divide that in three sections, and as you braid them, you keep adding more hair from the sides (how you add the hair, and how you braid depends on the kind of braid).
So, for example, a Dutch braid will look like an English braid that starts at the top of your head, while a French braid will look slightly different.

ETA: for example, that's how a dutch braid looks on me (I apologize for the bad picture, it is the only one I have :D)
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2236/dsc0120l.jpg

GoddesJourney
December 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
You have a great length for a French tuck. If you can French braid your hair, you can also protect the ends by separating the hair at the nape of the neck, and then tucking the braid straight in under the French braided part. It's a nice one to decorate with a little flower or pretty hair clip.

Spike
December 22nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Cinnabun holds well with a stick--I just twisted my hair up into one and jammed a ballpoint pen in to hold it. (posting from work--don't tell my boss!)

jasper
December 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
I know how to do french or dutch braids, but I'm no good at it. It seems like directions always show a second person doing the braid, instead of someone braiding their own hair. What I can't quite manage is keeping the sections from tangling (or snarling) while I trade then from hand to hand and try to add hair.

I think the cinnamon bun is quite easy if you have a couple of sticks to hold it, and the lazy wrap works with just one.

Laylah
December 22nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
I recommend torrinpaige's videos on youtube, which I see hmmm has already done. She makes updos so easy! This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1aN6_bdhio) shows the easiest updo I know how to do.

eta: ilovegerardo (youtube) also has lots of easy braid and updo styles.

and about braids- they are tricky at first but when your fingers get used to them, braids are very easy, and there are tons of different kinds that you can try.

DragonLady
December 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
What I can't quite manage is keeping the sections from tangling (or snarling) while I trade then from hand to hand and try to add hair.

It took me a long time to learn, too. I've always been pretty much all-thumbs when it came to my hair, and kept it short for most of my life. So I had to start learning from scratch. I just worked at it everyday 'till I finally got it. Don't give up on it; it just takes practise.

Keildra
December 23rd, 2009, 01:06 AM
It took me a long time to learn, too. I've always been pretty much all-thumbs when it came to my hair, and kept it short for most of my life. So I had to start learning from scratch. I just worked at it everyday 'till I finally got it. Don't give up on it; it just takes practise.
same here, but I didn't practice everyday. I did watch a lot of videos and read several different directions and then one day the technique finally clicked

rupertswife
December 23rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'm loving this thread - I'm new to the forums as well as long hair and need to learn some more updo's. I have naturally curly hair so sometimes my braids have curls sticking out the middle of them.
Any advice on securing buns so they don't fall down? I can't seem to use hair sticks yet, is it because I'm only APL?

coscass
December 23rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
I'm glad this caught on. I've been wanting to try some buns forever. I wonder if some fancy chopsticks would work as hair sticks, hmmm.

DragonLady
December 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
I've been trying to learn to do this: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2743/4188185457_34872b6ba6_b.jpg

It doesn't look difficult. I start out like a regular french braid, then add hair into only one side of each plait. After I've done each side, I make one plait under that with no hair added to give it extra space.

But I don't get the nice drapey look. In fact, mostly I get a tangled, snarled mess because I lose track, drop my strands and just generally muck it up.

Does anyone have a tutorial for this? Videos are so much better for me than text, so if anyone knows what this is called and can point me to a good set of instructions I would be forever grateful. :)