PDA

View Full Version : Sponsored haircut??

neon-dream
December 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hey everyone.
Me and my friend Kate have just been accepted to volunteer at a conservation camp in New Zealand for 2 months over the Summer.
However, we need to raise Ģ1800 each not including flights!!! So, we need to do everything POSSIBLE to get that amount.
Kate suggested to me that I cut my hair and get sponsors for it.
How many of you would actually do this?? Bearing in mind conservation and ecology is what I want to do when I'm finished with my studies and this would be an opportunity of a lifetime.
Help!? Thanks!!

GoddesJourney
December 21st, 2009, 10:12 AM
Do it. It grows back. I will have to postpone growing my hair long for four years in the Air Force, but it will be worth it because I'll be in a place where I want to be when I'm finished. Consider it a clean start.

neon-dream
December 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I have quite a lot of damage. So, I could see it as a new start :). Thanks!
Anyone else?

Copasetic
December 21st, 2009, 10:27 AM
I would definitely cut my hair for an amazing opportunity in a field that I wanted to work in. Opportunities like that don't come along every day!

OleanderTime
December 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM
I think I'm a little confused by what you mean by "sponsored haircut." Is it like getting donations from people in exchange for cutting your hair (like getting donations for running a certain number of miles for a fundraiser or something like that)?

Either way, I would say that very generally, we shouldn't be afraid to start over--especially with hair. There are also many traditions in different cultures and religions where shaving the head (or other significant haircuts) represent a time of rebirth and personal growth. So you could look at it like a deeper, more spiritual transformation if you are having trouble getting into it.

heidi w.
December 21st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Hey everyone.
Me and my friend Kate have just been accepted to volunteer at a conservation camp in New Zealand for 2 months over the Summer.
However, we need to raise Ģ1800 each not including flights!!! So, we need to do everything POSSIBLE to get that amount.
How many of you would actually do this?? Bearing in mind conservation and ecology is what I want to do when I'm finished with my studies and this would be an opportunity of a lifetime.
Help!? Thanks!!

1. You won't get as much money as you think for it.

2. Here at LHC these hair cutting threads are considered a problem.

heidi w.

redneckprincess
December 21st, 2009, 10:34 AM
There are a couple things in life I would lose a few years of hair growth over...Just make sure thats what you want to use it on and remember hair grows back ☺

Michou
December 21st, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'd do it, but I agree with Heidi's first point -- you might not get as much as you'd hope to get. I wasn't aware of Heidi's second point, but I haven't been around as long as her. I've seen quite a few threads discussing haircuts. :shrug:

neon-dream
December 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM
2. Here at LHC these hair cutting threads are considered a problem.

heidi w.

I know I won't get a lot, but I need to raise as much as possible.
How are these threads considered a problem?

Thanks redneckprincess and Michou :)

Finoriel
December 21st, 2009, 11:05 AM
Discussing haircuts or asking about the nature of sponsored haircuts / donating hair to learn more about it is educational and just fine. :) There are some good threads with important informations about those topics on the forum.
Horror storys about forced haircuts (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?f=9&a=5) are not fine, just like disturbing pictures or videos of them.

Sponsored haircuts are kind of odd imo though. Which kind of person would sponsor someone to cut their hair? Or give money for the cut hair. Did you think about that? There are a lot of other and imho better options to get the money you need. Though I´m not sure you should really try to, because...

Serious volunteering jobs for a conservation camp should not cost anything. They should pay the food and living there. Most will also pay the flight, though that´s not always.
In general volunteer jobs and paying for them is compareable with model jobs and paying for ´test-pictures´.
If they ask you to pay for it - run it´s a scam.

Unfortunately I think this sounds like a scam too.
Please check the reputation of the organization which accepted you and your friend as a volunteer.

heidi w.
December 21st, 2009, 11:07 AM
It's up to the MODS to decide, but sometimes, depending on how a hair cutting topic is discussed it can be problematic. This post may not qualify, though. Not quite sure of the boundaries.

I think there's a difference between I think I'll be cutting my hair, or should I cut my hair for these or any other reasons, ETA: hair trimming, hemline design questions -- kind of posts go to hair care. Clearly a video of a hair cutting may be shut down. But the discussion of borderline cases, is completely up to the MODS, I would say.

I'm not a MOD but there are some parameters for hair cutting discussions and when it's not allowed.

I should have said this post MIGHT or MAY be problematic. I shouldn't have been finite. Sorry for my miscommunication.

I'm not entirely clear on the lines in the sand, but I have seen occasions when a haircutting thread becomes a problem.

heidi w.

neon-dream
December 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM
Discussing haircuts or asking about the nature of sponsored haircuts / donating hair to learn more about it is educational and just fine. :) There are some good threads with important informations about those topics on the forum.
Horror storys about forced haircuts (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?f=9&a=5) are not fine, just like disturbing pictures or videos of them.

Sponsored haircuts are kind of odd imo though. Which kind of person would sponsor someone to cut their hair? Or give money for the cut hair. Did you think about that? There are a lot of other and imho better options to get the money you need. Though Iīm not sure you should really try to, because...

Serious volunteering jobs for a conservation camp should not cost anything. They should pay the food and living there. Most will also pay the flight, though thatīs not always.
In general volunteer jobs and paying for them is compareable with model jobs and paying for ītest-picturesī.
If they ask you to pay for it - run itīs a scam.

Unfortunately I think this sounds like a scam too.
Please check the reputation of the organization which accepted you and your friend as a volunteer.

Thankyou!!!
Well, the University has used this programme for years, it gives us the experience we need as well as us volunteering we complete courses such as dive training and carrying out ecological assessments. This is what we are paying for I think.

GoddesJourney
December 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't say that anyone willing to sponsor a hair cut for a good cause is in some way flawed. Think of it this way, any sponsored event is really about someone being willing to endure something or give something up. People sponsoring are supporting that for a cause. Even a benefit dinner is someone willing to put up services and goods to raise money for a cause. When I was in elementary school, my principal would get pied and dunked (as in "dunk the chump") every year at the school carnaval to help raise money for the school. He even went so far as to wear a dress and wig once, just to get attention for it. It's not that everyone was putting a bid just to enjoy humiliating another human being. We were raising money all in good fun and he was offering consentual humor at his own expense. Nothing wrong with that.

Hair cutting is really the same thing. Someone with long beautiful hair is willing to give up their hair to raise money for her dream. People in her community should be willing to sponsor her for that. She's not being mugged on the street and having her head shaved. She's consentually allowing her hair to be cut to show her willingness to earn what she's raising money for. It's not that different than training for a 10K run and getting sponsors. It's just being willing to do something difficult or uncomfortable to show your willingness to help. People sell things on craigslist, donate their services, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

Finoriel
December 21st, 2009, 11:57 AM
Youīre welcome :)
Just check what you are paying for exactly. If you are paying for an international diverīs license or other licenses you get there, thatīs fine I guess.
And talk with people who were in the program, too. Working conditions, safety, money issue. They possibly can give you good hints how they raised their money, too :wink:. If the university used this program for years there should be around some people to ask about how the program was. Thatīs itīs been the university who arranges this, sadly isnīt a guaratee that itīs not a scam where you pay for working and get not much benefit in the end.

Beatnik Guy
December 21st, 2009, 03:08 PM
You need to raise £1800? By the summer? How about a few weeks work? I find that's a good way to get money. :shrug:

Anje
December 21st, 2009, 03:19 PM
Personally, I don't think I'd pay someone money for cutting their hair as a fundraiser. That's not really because I'm an LHCer, but because I don't really see why I would or should have any interest in paying someone to cut their hair off. I might give some money as a general contribution toward a trip, if they were trying to raise money, but not for a hokey ulterior reason.

As others have said, you may have to work toward/borrow money if you want to do this. I don't know that you can raise as much as you need simply from donations, whether it's for a haircut or for an internship.

Eniratak
December 21st, 2009, 03:20 PM
Our school did something like this.
Only it wasn't hair cutting, it was a History teacher shaving his beard into different styles, you know.
In one week, we almost raised 200 dollars, which was pretty good, I think.

Pierre
December 21st, 2009, 03:43 PM
I've heard of international driver's licenses, but international diver's licenses? :confused:

Are you going to be in New Zealand in the summer, or away from England in the summer? If you're going to be in New Zealand, there's not much time ;)

I would not do it. I love my hair, I stim on it, and it would be too much to miss it for the years it would take to grow back.

Kiraela
December 21st, 2009, 03:43 PM
Well, I'd look at every possible other option first... but if you think you can actually get enough money for it, and you're willing, then I wish you luck if that's what you decide! :)

Akiko
December 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
I've heard of international driver's licenses, but international diver's licenses? :confused:

Maybe it's a PADI certificate.

Personally, I would not cut my hair to raise funds. I would work and save money...

neon-dream
December 21st, 2009, 04:04 PM
Well, I'd look at every possible other option first... but if you think you can actually get enough money for it, and you're willing, then I wish you luck if that's what you decide! :)

Yeah I won't do it unless I HAVE to, but I do work for the money too. If I'm short on money I'd consider this.
I'm just looking into it at the moment..

Liluri
December 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
I'd be more inclined to hold a "topless" car wash (where you only wash the bottom of the car, but remained fully clothed) or another novelty way of raising money if a job was out of the question. I think you'd raise more money that way. :twocents:

Carolyn
December 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM
I'd flip burgers or whatever I had to do to raise money. I couldn't do a haircut thing no matter what. I also would never sponsor someone cutting their hair in this way. I might give them a cash donation unrelated to the cutting event. Maybe. Or maybe not. Sorry but I can't wrap my mind around haircut events no matter the cause.

enfys
December 22nd, 2009, 05:13 AM
Would you be very upset if cutting your hair didn't raise the kind of sums you hoped? Once your first sponser makes an offer you have to do it, even if it's only a fiver.

I'd be more inclined to work for the money in as uninvasive a job as possible; working Sunday night stacking shelves in Tesco will pay something crazy like £18 an hour in some stores (triple time) You'll get the money quickly but it won't affect your studies.

hmmm
December 22nd, 2009, 05:39 AM
People pay money for hair? I thought the money only went to the people who sold it to the guys who make extentions out of it or whatever. I didn't think the person who owned the hair to begin with got anything. I'm interested to know how it goes, if you decide to do it. Good luck!

morguebabe
December 22nd, 2009, 06:07 AM
yeah I'd just get a job and do odd jobs

SHELIAANN1969
December 22nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
I think there are a lot better ways than to invite people to pay you to watch you cut your hair.

You could have a yard sale, a bake sale, a dinner (beans n cornbread or spaghetti dinner at 6-8 dollars a plate), a car wash, and many other things that don't alter your appearance, in order to raise money.

I don't understand why people come up with the idea of people paying to watch someone alter their appearance in such a manner. It astounds me every time I see someone mention it.

I think your creativity will suprise you, if you sit down and think of ways that will allow you to raise money.

Most people who give, will give generously and pay quite a bit (say 10$ for a small amount of candy/fudge/plate of food), knowing that they are donating to aide someone to do something spectacular such as a trip, that you are describing.

There are many alternatives. Good luck and have fun. :blossom:

alys
December 22nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Neo Dream you've been cut down a bit here in this thread. You came looking for support, (or at least that is how your initial post read to me), and I just want you to know that I hope you raise your money and get to go!! Whether you cut your hair off or not, the fact that you are considering shows how much going to the conservation camp means to you. I would listen, in the case, to yourself. Sometimes advice here is invaluable and so supportive, and other times maybe not so much. Which is why going with your gut is always the best bet :)

GoddesJourney
December 22nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
Neo Dream you've been cut down a bit here in this thread. You came looking for support, (or at least that is how your initial post read to me), and I just want you to know that I hope you raise your money and get to go!! Whether you cut your hair off or not, the fact that you are considering shows how much going to the conservation camp means to you. I would listen, in the case, to yourself. Sometimes advice here is invaluable and so supportive, and other times maybe not so much. Which is why going with your gut is always the best bet :)

Well said.

inspiral
December 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Hey NeonDream! I think it's great that you are volunteering! As far as the hair cutting, I personally would never do something like that for money. My hair is part of who I am, and I will never sell myself. And, after seeing your hair, I don't know who would ever want to pay you money to cut it off!!! Thats so weird! You might have more offers to pay you to NOT cut it!!! I would say, keep brainstorming! You've gotten some good ideas already, there are endless ways to make money without butchering your hair. Blessings!!!:heartbeat

SHELIAANN1969
December 22nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hey everyone.
Help!? Thanks!!

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, but she came in asking who would actually cut their hair, for money, because a friend suggested it.

I see many people offering alternative ways to raise funds and still keep her hair *IF* she wants to.

This *IS* a LONG hair community.

I don't see anyone cutting her down or belittling her, just giving advice as requested.

DakarNick
December 22nd, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hey NeonDream! I think it's great that you are volunteering! As far as the hair cutting, I personally would never do something like that for money. My hair is part of who I am, and I will never sell myself. And, after seeing your hair, I don't know who would ever want to pay you money to cut it off!!! Thats so weird! You might have more offers to pay you to NOT cut it!!! I would say, keep brainstorming! You've gotten some good ideas already, there are endless ways to make money without butchering your hair. Blessings!!!:heartbeat

Good point. NeonDream, you should threaten cutting it and see how much money you can raise from people asking you NOT to cut it :eyebrows:

shadowclaw
December 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Several people have mentioned that they don't believe many people would donate money to have someone's hair get cut off. Well, while it seems odd to many of us here, there actually are a lot of people out there who are willing to donate a dollar or two for such a thing if the cause is good enough.

My local Walmart did something like this a few years ago. There was a male employee with hair a good way past BSL, and he offered to cut his hair if Walmart raised enough money. I don't remember what they were raising money for, actually, but it I do know it was a worthy cause. Anyway, Walmart put signs up all over the store with a picture of the employee that said he'd cut his hair if they raised X amount of money.

So, Walmart managed to raise a few thousand dollars and the guy cut his hair.

Now, I don't think you'd raise quite as much money, since people are less inclined to donate to individuals. However, I think you could make a fair amount if you publicized it enough... maybe got some stores or restaurants to advertise for you. Like the guy at Walmart did, you can specifiy that you won't cut it unless you raise a certain amount.

As an alternative, I would suggest having a bake sale of sorts if you can. Back in high school, my Russian class had a 4 week Russian exchange that cost about $2500 each... the five students who went sold nut rolls and poppyseed rolls around the holidays and afterwards had earned enough money to only pay $400 each for the trip. Some candy companies will also sell you candy bars at a discounted price that you can sell for a fundraiser. At least in the US, they do. My mother works at a candy company called Gertrude Hawk Chocolates, and their fundraisers are always very successful. Basically, the company sells a group candy bars for about 50 cents each, and then you sell them for a dollar. You do have to sell a lot to raise enough money, but most people are willing to buy a good candy bar for a dollar!

Paul KMF
December 25th, 2009, 06:06 PM
No way. I would never pay to see some one cut their hair. (Or make someone cut their hair.)
To me this seems a bit weird. I love to see women with longhair and very longhair, there is just something so beautiful about it.
I actually get this sick queasy feeling when someone gets all their hair chopped off. Ugh.

Paul