PDA

View Full Version : Hair thickness on legs and head

florenonite
April 26th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Weird question, I know. I ask this because I have iii hair, and I've always had really thick hair on my legs, such that by the time I was about 13 I was pressured into shaving them, even though I tried to insist (in vain) that it's fine and blonde. Nowadays, people ask my why I bother shaving them as my hair is blonde, but because it's so thick there's a lot of it. So I was just wondering if there's some kind of correlation between the hair thickness on your head and the thickness on your legs.

soleluna
April 26th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I have iii hair and my leg hair is thicker than average

Laululintu
April 26th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I have ii/iii hair and about average thickness leg hair, so I went with iii hair and average fuzziness on legs ;)

lilalong
April 26th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I honestly have no idea, what the average leg hair thickness is.
I don't think I've seen womens leg hair other than my own in years.

cutenappygrl
April 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have iii hair and I chose avergae leg hair - because the hair on my thighs is like non-existent, but the hair on my legs is sparse on the back of my calves but thick on my shins. I could get away with just shaving the front of my lower legs.

kwaniesiam
April 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I have i hair and my leg hair is rather thin and very fine, even before I started epilating. Maybe there is some relation? Now that I epilate, the only reason I still need to bother with removal is because what I do have is so dark compared to my skin which is really pale.

granitbaby
April 26th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I have ii hair and my leg hair is a little bit thinner than average, but the individual hair strands are pretty coarse. My leg hair is the opposite to my head hair!

Phalaenopsis
April 26th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I have iii hair and I have very thick hair on the legs. Quite embarrassing :(

mira-chan
April 26th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I have ii/iii hair, and monster leg fur.

socks
April 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I guess I am the oddball here. I have iii hair, and yet there is virtually no hair on my legs.

Jeni
April 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I have i/ii hair, from my knees down my hair is of average thickness, and DARK brown (darkest hair on my whole body), from the knees up its thin (like the hair on my arm) and blond. This is good since I can seems to shave/wax/veet above my knees without breaking out into a rash.

zift
April 26th, 2008, 05:21 PM
It's about genetics. Forexample most Asian women and also Scandinavians tend to have less leg hair. I have iii hair on head and a lot of hair on my legs as well but very few and invisible on my thighes. I never shave there so said it was average.

Igor
April 26th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Coarse and thick all over shudder:

lookingglass
April 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I have iii hair, and have always wanted thick leg and pit hair, but unfornately, it is below average.

karenpetal
April 26th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I have thick hair strands but they are scanty .... so waxing is not a huge pain:)

sapphire-o
April 27th, 2008, 08:18 AM
How do I know if I have thick leg hair or not? I used to think I'm very fuzzy as other women in my family have virtually no body hair (no armpit hair either). Now I'm not so sure because from what I heard lots of girls here have quite a bit of leg hair. I think I might have less than average.

rhanee
April 27th, 2008, 11:46 AM
iii hair + pretty thick leg hair. I have lots of body hair in general. I'm a little monkey :)

Awalia
April 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM
My hair has ii thicknes, and i have allmost not at all hair in my legs, i dont even have to shave. I dont think those two things have anything incommon :D

Dianyla
April 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Extremely thick, abundant, and coarse hair, on both legs and head. I'm just glad my arms and other bodily areas were spared - I managed to luck out with minimal light down on my arms and thankfully few problems with facial hair. :rolleyes:

RedRose
April 27th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Thick coarse hair on head.....and everywhere else. Bizarrely it's fair everywhere except my shins where it is UNBELIEVABLY dark and thick... I've recently started having professional waxes to try and deal with it (now I can afford to, it never works when I do it myself). Shaving doesn't last a day. Makes me sad :-( but I guess we all have our crosses to bear.

Rebelkat
April 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM
My hair is ii/iii and I have very thick leg hair. I had to start shaving my legs and underarms in elementary school. Seriously, it was THAT BAD.

Saranne772
April 27th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Thick on both here! (good for head, bad for legs ;))

Anje
April 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I have ii hair (~2.5" circumference) hair, and my leg hair is thinner than average, I think. Moreover, it's only vellus hair, so I really don't need to shave.

flapjack
April 28th, 2008, 12:04 AM
ii/iii hair on my head and virtually no body hair except some fine, white hairs on my lower arms and some on the shins and armpits. I didn't need to shave until I was about 18 and now I shave my shins and underarms when I get stubble, which is every 2-3 weeks and the hair on my body is much lighter than what is on my head.

I agree that it's genetic, but I don't think it has any relation to specific ethnicities. At all. I know people in many different ethnic groups who have a pretty wide variation going on. One other example is my grandmother who is 100% southern french and has never shaved her legs in her entire life. There is absolutely nothing but incredibly soft white fuzz on her thighs. And that's it.

Remke
April 28th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I've got ii hair on my head and the hairs on my legs are quite fine and thin and little less then avarage, and they're blonde, that's also nice. I shave my legs btw and it doesn't grow that fast and I don't have hard stubbles (?)
My mom also had ii hair but quite some coarse dark hair on the legs, she waxes but has hard stubbles.

vindo
April 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I am at the border of ii and iii and my leg hair is little too average and rather fine. It grows average on the very bottom of my legs but the further you go up the less there is and on my thighs its barely even there..:lol:

florenonite
April 28th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I'm very jealous of those of you who have thin, fine leg hair. I can get by without shaving my thighs, but my shins (and calves, to a lesser extent) look caveman-ish if I don't shave for a while. I've had two separate friends tell me (in a jovial manner) that I needed to shave my legs in the past because they were very hairy.

Leisha
April 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I have iii hair and the hair on my lower legs is also thick and plentyful and coarse and dark and LOOOOONG (well it was, I waxed my legs today, finally). Seriously when I looked at it up close today I was amazed/disgusted/intrigued/shocked/.. at how long it had gotten. My legs looked like monkeys legs or something :o I can't believe I'd let it get this bad.

Anyway, the hair on my arms is a lot less thick and therefore it doesn't bother me as much (I just leave it, it tends to bleach a bit from sunshine too). Also, those little hairs tend to lie flat against my skin, whereas the hair on my lower legs sort of stands up or something. Yikes.

The hair on my upper legs also bothers me, but it is more like the hair on my arms so I usually leave it alone. Except for some reason the hair on the back of my upper legs is freakishly long again (ok maybe I'm exaggerating, but still)! What evolutionary purpose does that serve??? :mad:

Oh well what can you do ;) laser hair removal (or something like it) is definitely top of my to-do-when-I-win-the-lotto list...

Phalaenopsis
April 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM
The hair on my upper legs also bothers me, but it is more like the hair on my arms so I usually leave it alone. Except for some reason the hair on the back of my upper legs is freakishly long again (ok maybe I'm exaggerating, but still)! What evolutionary purpose does that serve??? :mad:

Same problem here, indeed, what purpose? :mad:
I want to get my legs waxed (also the upper legs, especially the back) Hopefully that will help a bit. Don't feel like shaving every day :(

Billie
April 28th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Boy, I'm quite lucky. I have III hair on my head and my leg hair is thin enough not to be bothered by. Well, maybe it's actually not really thin, but the colour is so light and because I don't shave , they're so soft that I really can't be bothered.

Haith
April 30th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I have ii head hair and about average leg hair

jojo
May 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
i have type iii hair but my leg hair is white and very fine, in fact i only really have hair on ankles and a bit on the front of my legs, none on the back or thighs. same with my arms!

My dad has never had a single hair on his legs, maybe he passed some of his genes to me!

epiphanee
May 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
My leg hair and head hair are equally thick.

AJoifulNoise
May 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
I have about a 4.5" ponytail. It's not that I have alot of hairs on my legs.. but each one is thick and dark.

...so I wear kneehighs all year. :D

zelah
May 3rd, 2008, 01:51 AM
I have iii hair and I chose avergae leg hair - because the hair on my thighs is like non-existent, but the hair on my legs is sparse on the back of my calves but thick on my shins. I could get away with just shaving the front of my lower legs.

Mine is much like this as well, but pretty thick all around my lower legs, with a bit of added thickness in the front-outside area. The hair on my upper legs is probably about average, but almost all comes in blonde for some reason, so it's not as noticeable.

Nat242
May 3rd, 2008, 02:02 AM
I have ii/iii hair, and monster leg fur.

Sigh. Me too.

-- Natalie

MermaidGirl
May 3rd, 2008, 04:36 AM
I'm a ii head hair and I have practically non-existent body hair. Hair on my arms and thighs is blonde and sparse, looks like I don't even have any. Hair on my calves needs to be shaved (!) but is very sparse, darkish (from shaving) and fine. Hair in my pits only grows in an area about the size of a nickle or quarter, and is sparse, darkish (from shaving) and fine.

I work with a couple ladies that have thick, long, dark arm hair, but they also have thick, coarse, dark head hair, too.

Angellen
May 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I'm another one of those iiis with naturally thick, dark hair on the arms and legs. I was peer pressured to start shaving my legs when I was 10 in an effort to avoid all the ridicule. Now that I've been getting waxed professionally, they've greatly thinned so now I think they are average, maybe average/thin. However, they've gotten weak so that when the are waxed, quite a few just break off...and the cycle continues. Luckily they're less noticeable, so I can go for a (much) longer time between waxing.

Mrs_Zombie
May 4th, 2008, 11:11 PM
i have iii hair and my leg hair is coarse. but it is actually very sparse, i only have hair on my shins. and my arm hair is thin and sparse. I don't know if there may be some co-relation. Good thing is i don't have to shave my legs more than once a week because of the sparsity. :D

luciole
May 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I have ii hair and my leg hair is thick, dark and coarse. I wish my hair on my head would grow as fast as my leg hair, if I shave my legs in summer I have to do it daily, except I want to run around with little dark spots on my leg.

Nightshade
May 5th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I'm a ii and my leg hair was already thinner than average to start, after using an epilator it's WAY thinner than average :)

florenonite
May 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM
So thus far, from the responses 52 of 127 have similar leg and head hair thickness. Rather interesting (to geeks like me, at any rate), as that's almost half (41%), and one would expect it to be a third if they were independent of one another. 21 have thicker leg hair than head hair (16.5%) while 58 have thinner leg hair than head hair (46%). Of course, far more ii's and iii's have responded, which may skew the results somewhat.

Anje
May 5th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I'm wondering whether the correlation is better between hair color and leg hair thickness/courseness/color.

1953Diygal
May 5th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Maybe I missed it, but what is the measurable standard for "average" here? It just seems difficult to say whether your leg hair is thicker than average if we haven't defined what average is.

florenonite
May 6th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Maybe I missed it, but what is the measurable standard for "average" here? It just seems difficult to say whether your leg hair is thicker than average if we haven't defined what average is.

I actually didn't really think of that, because it's pretty apparent my leg hair is thicker than average because it's bushman-style hair. It's EVERYWHERE. Conversely, a lot of people with thinner hair don't need to shave as much as others.

n3m3sis42
May 6th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I actually didn't really think of that, because it's pretty apparent my leg hair is thicker than average because it's bushman-style hair. It's EVERYWHERE. Conversely, a lot of people with thinner hair don't need to shave as much as others.

I agree with 1953Diygal that there does need to be a measurable standard to draw any real conclusion... maybe we can come up with one?

I consider my leg hair "thinner than average" because I have almost no hair above the knee (and never shave above the knee) and can go 1-2 weeks between shaves (below the knee) without obviously visible leg hair.

But it occurs to me that in order to know if that's *really* an indicator that my leg hair is thinner than average, I'd have to know how often the average person shaves. And I'd have to know if they use the same or different criteria to determine that they need a shave. Are they shaving because their legs actually look hairy, or because they feel stubbly, or for some other reason?

FlowerHair
May 11th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I have iii hair and my leg hair is fine and sparse...

Nocturnal
February 19th, 2009, 09:40 PM
How do you know what's the average hair thickness on legs, now that everyone is into removing hair and wearing pants? :confused:

dearladydisdain
February 20th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I have thick head hair and thick leg hair. The hair everywhere grows quickly, too. It's rather frustrating.

Silverlox
February 20th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I have ii hair on my head, just under 3".

The hair on my arms and legs have changed over time, from completely invisible to non-existent. I cannot find a single hair anywhere on my legs. On my forearms I have very thin, sparse and light "invisible" down. A bit odd, as my head hair, as well as the triangle and armpits, used to be very dark.

Because of this, I have never shaved my legs or arms, neither have I used any other type of hair remover, except shaving my armpits.

JamieLeigh
February 20th, 2009, 09:30 AM
That's an interesting question! My hair used to be incredibly thick and wavy when I was younger, and I actually had to shave my legs by the time I was 11, if I didn't want to get made fun of at school. :o Now that my hair is thinner and fine, thanks to having so many kids + genetics, I can go almost a month without shaving my legs before it's noticeable.

Deborah
February 20th, 2009, 08:47 PM
On my head my hair is very fine textured, fast growing, and average in thickness (ii). On my legs the hair is also very fine and downright silky for legs, but it is quite dark and grows very fast too. :no:

On the lower legs it is a big nuisance, as when I want the just skin look, I have to shave or epilate way more than average. When I shaved I had to do it every darn day, or I had constant dark stubble on white leg skin. Yuck! With epilation I can do it less often, but the notion that it will be a month or six weeks until removal is again necessary just makes my legs laugh in scorn. :evil::laugh:

Often I just leave it alone, as my dresses and skirts are all at or below my ankles anyway. Recently I let it go for many months. It surprised me somewhat. The hair comes in more densely on some areas, especially the outside, upper calf quadrant, while other areas are nearly hairless. Weird. (edit) Maybe this is due to epilation actually killing off some of the hair. If so, YAY!

I also learned that my calf hair can grow rather long, well over an inch, but it is straight and silky, so it lies smoothly, and does not look anything like any man's legs that I have ever seen. Like most women, I assumed that untouched leg hair would make my legs look just like a man's, but it isn't so. Also weird.

It's funny though. I have virtually no hair on my thighs, so I have never touched the little that is there, as it is invisible. And my forearms have some hair, but it is blonde and short, and not very noticeable. I can't figure that out at all. I'm a brunette, but have blonde arms! Weird again.

So, I guess my head hair is normal, but my body hair just has some weird ways about it. I have no idea why. :shrug:

EvaSimone
February 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I have ii hair but pretty thick hair on my legs. It's dark too.

I actually haven't seen my legs with grown out hair on them since I was 11 years old. Maybe now the leg hair is a bit thinner.

My brother used to call me sasquatch, I believe. I've finally forgiven him :lol:

viking_quest
February 20th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I have ii/iii hair and it's fine while my leg hair is about average thickness but super coarse and there's just enough of it to make me want to shave, but the hair on my arms is extremely thin and fine.

rags
February 21st, 2009, 09:29 AM
Well, I have only i head hair, but I picked thicker than average on legs. My thighs I would say are average (and blond yaay!) but my lower legs.....sigh. The hair there is quite dark, and coarse, and there is lots of it. I can feel stubble by the evening if I shave in the morning. I keep wanting to try an epilator, but I am :shudder:

neon-dream
February 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM
My hair is iii and my leg hair is around average.

florenonite
February 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM
How do you know what's the average hair thickness on legs, now that everyone is into removing hair and wearing pants? :confused:

...am I the only one who not only doesn't shave in the winter but also compares leg hair with friends? :p Because, yes, that's what I'm basing my idea of 'average' on ... my leg hair is thicker than my friends'.

Coriander
February 21st, 2009, 01:23 PM
I have ii hair, but the hair on my legs has always been super thick and coarse. It's become a little sparser since I started epilating, but I notice if I let that go then the hair becomes thick and coarse again.

rhubarbarin
February 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM
I have low ii hair and my lower leg hair is pretty profuse (but very fine - no wirey ones).My thighs are nearly hairless. The rest of my body alternates between average fuzz and less than normal.

ETA: I didn't shave my legs until I was in my late teens and never got any comments. But people hardly ever make personal comments to me for some reaon.

RancheroTheBee
February 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
The hair on my head is thick and poofy, but the hair on my legs is fine and blonde and grows very slowly.

I can hear the grumbles from over here, but bear in mind that my arm-pit hair grows in thick, dark red and super-fast. No tank tops for this lady.

ratgirldjh
February 22nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
i have medimum thick hair on my head and almost no hair on my legs or the rest of my body (except pubic and underarms)

it has always been like this - and the older i get the less body hair if have

i also noticed that my grandma had virtually no leg hair and that my mom is like this too - my mom also has almost no eyebrows now! i started using castor oil on my eyelashes and eyebrows and have told my mom about this

Darkhorse1
February 22nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
I believe leg/under arm hair will become coarser over time due to shaving. Not sure if this is accurate unless you poll people who don't shave. I HAVE to shave, and my leg hairs are very, very thick/coarse. But, that's probably similar to men who shave their faces. Over time, it gets coarser. I can't remember why though.

HildeMV
February 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
My leg hair is fine, and there's a lot of it. I have to shave. My skin is super pale and my hair is dark brown.

almudena
I have iii hair and very thin almost non existant leg hair. The same applies to leg arms.

LawyerGirl
Haha I don't know what "average" is but I assume mine is average. I think it is thinner now after I have started waxing/epilating.

JessTheMess
February 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
I have ii hair and really coarse dark leg hair. I should invest in this epilator thingy

Pullippanuru
February 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
Head and leg hair are thin and fine. my only problem with that is it's still black while my skin is super, super pale... :steam

venividibxtchy
February 22nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
M/iii hair on head.

C/iii hair on legs.

florenonite
February 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
I believe leg/under arm hair will become coarser over time due to shaving. Not sure if this is accurate unless you poll people who don't shave. I HAVE to shave, and my leg hairs are very, very thick/coarse. But, that's probably similar to men who shave their faces. Over time, it gets coarser. I can't remember why though.

I don't think this is true, because my thigh hair I shaved for years and stopped a couple years ago, for the most part, because I realised the hair was really blonde and fine and didn't need shaved. I think, in my case at least, the hair on my calves appears coarser for two reasons:
1) it's darker because it's not exposed to as much sun, being shaved off more often and
2) the ends are blunt rather than tapered when it grows in, making it appear coarser than it is.

Isilme
February 22nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
I don't think this is true, because my thigh hair I shaved for years and stopped a couple years ago, for the most part, because I realised the hair was really blonde and fine and didn't need shaved. I think, in my case at least, the hair on my calves appears coarser for two reasons:
1) it's darker because it's not exposed to as much sun, being shaved off more often and
2) the ends are blunt rather than tapered when it grows in, making it appear coarser than it is.

I just wanted to add that young men are often encouraged to shave because "it will make the beard thicker" it doesn't. But while they are shaving they are getting a little bit older and that increases the thickness of the beard. I think that's the reason for the myth. I always shaved my legs before starting to epilate and wax and I never noticed an increase in neither the amount of hair, nor the thickness. But Now that I have been waxing on and off during the summers for some years my leg hair is sparser and not as coarse.

Elenna
February 25th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I used to have average leg hair, but after a long illness, the leg hair is almost gone! The few hairs that are left are not noticeable. I may shave the few ones that grow out. It is really strange.

Schefflera
February 25th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I'm not really sure about average, but:

I think the hairs on my head are fine with stray mediums, but have never thought they were especially fragile.

The hairs on my legs are partially immune to Nair. It'll knock off anything past maybe 1/8" from the follicle, but within, there is no apparent effect. Obviously, this kind of defeats the purpose....

Juneii
February 25th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I don't know what is "average" but I have iii hair and no hair on my legs, the hair is fine even though they're dark so it's really hard to see and there are barely any. I can get away with not shaving at all and no one would notice but I like the silky smooth feeling after shaving :D

RocketDog
February 26th, 2009, 12:29 AM
average thickness on my head, and VERY sparse leg hair.

Elenna
February 26th, 2009, 12:36 AM
....The hairs on my legs are partially immune to Nair. It'll knock off anything past maybe 1/8" from the follicle, but within, there is no apparent effect. Obviously, this kind of defeats the purpose....

Wow, that is resistant! Nair is very strong stuff.

lillerina
February 26th, 2009, 10:53 AM
ii head hair and average leg hair. Which I don't remove.
I find adult women with hairless legs/underarms look odd to me now.

bsc
February 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
No correlation for me. I have head hair thicker than average and leg hair thiner than average.

HotRag
February 28th, 2009, 03:09 AM
iii on head and iii on legs (even on inside of thighs).
Good in the winter :D

helen2806
February 28th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I have iii hair but my leg hair is really fine, and pretty much white-blonde so I can easily get away without shaving, and have never had to shave above my knees. I'm sure it must be genetic, but my sister is the total opposite to me - her hair is probably only i or ii but she has much thicker and darker leg hair, so I think I'm the luckier one in that respect!

dulce-de-leche
March 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Oh my gosh I'm glad I'm not the only hairy one around here :)
I have about ii on head and really thick and hairy leg hairs.I cannot go with out 1 day without shaving my legs or I'll turn into a monkey ;).

tuanyiji
July 24th, 2022, 11:39 PM
It’s a genetic thing or maybe race, I have Asian black M/C/ii/iii (10cm) hair but I barely have any visible hair on my arms and legs, I know I have body hair but they are almost transparent, like the tiny thin soft peach buzz. I barely grow armpit hair, it runs in my family, even the male ones have very little visible body hair and only have weekly or biweekly shaving schedule for the tiny bit of beard stunts. Growing up, I always find it funny to see the white males on the movies have thick chest hair, it’s unimaginable to me. 5 o’clock shadow? Impossible to appear on my dad and brother.
To this day, my arms and legs never see a blade.

Lesley8
July 27th, 2022, 03:21 PM
I have fine hair on my head and very fine hair on my legs.

lapushka
July 28th, 2022, 03:25 AM
I have iii hair, and you all can see the color in my signature picture. I have fine, thinly spaced blonde hair on my arms and legs. It's so strange. I only ever shave my lower legs. My upper almost have no hair. Not even visibly.

GoatLady
December 26th, 2022, 07:56 AM
I think there is a correlation.

Peony91
December 26th, 2022, 05:06 PM
The hair on my head is blonde and fine, although it’s gotten thicker in the past few years. The hair on my legs is brown and about medium thickness. Not sparse or unnoticeable but not noticeably thick either.