PDA

View Full Version : Am I Being Too Nice to My Hair?

Alia
December 21st, 2009, 06:48 AM
For the past month, I've been S&Ding every other day, using the Sally's brand conditioning balm, using Japanese camillia oil, and just generally being gentler than usual on my hair. I wanted it to look extra nice for the holidays, you know? Well, now it won't hold a style at all! :justy: My buns slip down my neck spitting hairpins all the way, braids loosen immediately, and it is beyond frustrating.

What am I doing wrong? Should I withhold all the hair goodies I've been feeding it? Start whipping a brush through it? :whip: Hurl insults?

Tabitha
December 21st, 2009, 06:55 AM
Does the Sally's balm contain cones? I ask because that's how my hair behaves when I use cones on it. Sleek, shiny - and impossible to keep in a style.

Gothic Lolita
December 21st, 2009, 06:56 AM
I'm not familiar with Sally's conditioning balm, but am blesses with super-slippery hair too (although mine still tangles like hell, would like to understand that).
For me, silicones make things worse and I can't even to a ponytail anymore or a simple braid. They'll just fall out while I'm doing them.
Maybe the balm has cones in them and you get all the slip from them. I can't think of anything else you might be doing wrong from what you've written. If it has 'cones, I'd try clarifying, that usually does the trick for me.
Oh, and I can also get build-up from herbal conditioner. It has lots of oil in it and I use it every wash. At some point, my hair feels strange and looks kind of greasy. Then it's time for a good and cleansing wash again.

marikamt
December 21st, 2009, 08:22 AM
I am going thru this too....... I am cone free and started being able to wear hairsticks about a month ago (maybe a little longer...) all of a sudden, they won't stay in my hair (this started this past week).... I am not doing anything different.......

aisling
December 21st, 2009, 08:32 AM
It could also be about finding the right bun and the right tool to secure it with, the perfect combination. For me, ordinary hair pins, bobby pins, are no good, they won't hold my hair very well and they will slide out. Fortunately there are other tools, more expensive tools, that will work better.

GoddesJourney
December 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM
It could be that your hair is in such good condition that it's become slippery. That happens. Part of my hair is like this. That makes updos strange because the nice part falls out and the not so nice part stays up. Needless to say, it's weird. Consider it a good thing that your hair has become too healthy to stay up. That is, unless you find out it's because of some coney serum that you've been putting in your hair, which isn't bad if you like it, but you can clarify and it will go away.

Sara Smile
December 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM
I've just started using oils, and I've been using both Japanese camellia oil and argan oil. The camellia oil makes my hair shiny and sleek (and slippery) while the argan oil makes my hair soft, fluffy, and "sticky". Literally, the hairs clump together better, looking thicker and fuller, and they also pick up lint. Maybe you could try a different oil for a while?

heidi w.
December 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM
Whenever you style hair, allow the hair to be at least a day old hair wash -- not freshly washed.

That bit of sebum helps with hair's stick power.

You want a slight amount of tackiness built.

If your hair has become yet longer, it may be heavier and new sliding issues may crop up. The method for pinning or placement of an updo may then matter a lot.

If your hair is sticky in the length, but in the front, or top of head is looking too sticky (as in streaky and hairs overly clumping together), consider using a diluted bit of shampoo to wash just that zonage. This is a very abbreviated version of a scalp wash then (not even a full scalp wash). This just allows the front of the hair, the front hairline and related zonage to look really helpful.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 21st, 2009, 11:14 AM
I'm not familiar with Sally's conditioning balm, but am blesses with super-slippery hair too (although mine still tangles like hell, would like to understand that).
For me, silicones make things worse and I can't even to a ponytail anymore or a simple braid. They'll just fall out while I'm doing them.
Maybe the balm has cones in them and you get all the slip from them. I can't think of anything else you might be doing wrong from what you've written. If it has 'cones, I'd try clarifying, that usually does the trick for me.
Oh, and I can also get build-up from herbal conditioner. It has lots of oil in it and I use it every wash. At some point, my hair feels strange and looks kind of greasy. Then it's time for a good and cleansing wash again.

I am familiar with Sally's brand of the BIOLAGE line of CONDITIONING BALM. It's actually somewhat less thick than the real deal, but also a LOT less expensive. (I personally use the real stuff, not the generic brand. But I did, a number of years ago, a test for a series of about 10 hair washes, use the generic brand from Sally's. It worked ok for me. I still liked the real stuff better. I need that slip.)

Not everyone's hair has a negative response to -cones. Just FYI.

heidi w.

Alia
December 21st, 2009, 04:46 PM
The cheapie Sally's conditioning balm is coneless:
Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Myristyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Decyl Oleate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Hexyl Cinnamal, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden Seal) Extract, Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladderwack) Extract, Methyl-2-Octynoate, which is one reason I chose it, aside from the positive reviews. Maybe the combo of it and the camillia oil is too much?

I didn't think about it, but it is growing longer. I think I'm probably styling it like it is still at tailbone with damaged ends.:shrug:

Cinnamon Hair
December 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM
I have super slippery hair too. One thing that helps me is putting my hair up when it is damp instead of dry. My hair is a lot easier to control when it is damp because it all clumps together and looks so smooth and sleek when I comb it. That is one reason I CO wash daily, to damp bun. If you don't like to wash daily you can use a mister bottle filled with distilled water and a little conditioner to spray on your hair before making an updo.

hmmm
December 22nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
I was going to recommend damp braiding or bunning too. My hair falls out of any braid I do while my hair is dry, I think it's because it's too short and has layers, but damp works for me. It should work for you too. Good luck.