PDA

View Full Version : Is Polygliceryl Laurate SLS?

Dreams_in_Pink
December 21st, 2009, 03:46 AM
I recently read that SLS shampoos can cause scalp disorders like hairloss and flaking; I checked both the shampoos i've been using and found out that they had SLS.

But i also have an "organic" shampoo resting in fridge since forever...I checked its ingredients too and found no SLS. There's one ingredient that "looks like" sls: Polyglyceryl 10 Laurate.

Does anyone know if that one's a variant of SLS?

Gothic Lolita
December 21st, 2009, 05:22 AM
It's a tenside that seems to be mild enough for baby care and face washing. It's a good solubizer and surfactant and seems to be used in herbal stuff too, so it can't be that bad.

And yes, I'm one of those guys that get hairloss (1 cm less circumference) and irritated sclaps from sulphates.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 21st, 2009, 06:14 AM
i've been shedding (but also regrowing) quite a lot, but my main problem is dandruff. I'm gonna start No SLS in my next wash. According to your description, at least i know it's not as harmful as SLS :) Thank you!

Anje
December 21st, 2009, 07:19 AM
Well, it's not SLS (aka SDS) itself, which is a specific detergent, but the name suggests that it is a sulfate of some variety. How harsh is it? That's another question... The name alone suggests that it's not an ionic surfactant, so it'll probably be milder than SLS.

Skin Deep doesn't have anything against it, which is downright unusual.

bumblebums
December 21st, 2009, 08:07 AM
SLS stands for Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate, which is a specific surfactant (essentially, detergent/degreaser). Polyglyceryl Laurate is not the same chemical, so no, it isn't SLS. It is a surfactant, however. http://www.dr-straetmans.de/en/products/productdescription_dermofeel_g10lw.php

It is supposed to be gentle enough for baby shampoo, so if you are looking for a surfactant, it's not a bad one. But, it can cause an allergic reaction. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18279173

Dreams_in_Pink
December 21st, 2009, 09:18 AM
eh, this shampoo is an organic one :shrug: i can tell that it's somewhat dangerous, the name didn't sound good among others that end with "...flower extract" :D

I'll give it a go though; if my scalp feels better than before i'll go search for one without any "detergents"

By the way, i have tried this one a long time ago, but stopped it because it does not lather. Now i'm going back to it for the same reason :rollin: Cannot remember my scalp condition back then, i didn't give a damn about it :rolleyes:

bumblebums
December 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM
SLS is one of the best lathering agents out there. They even add it to Tom's of Maine toothpaste for the lather, because consumers associate lathering with cleaning. Pretty much anything gentler than SLS means less lather.

Organic certification in the US requires that a certain percentage of the ingredients be organic, but they don't have to ALL be organic unless it says "100% organic." Even then, an ingredient could be derived from an organic source but be processed so much that you don't end up with anything "wholesome" in the end. For example, natural flavors and synthetic flavors can be chemically identical, but only natural flavors derived from organic sources can be included in a "100% organic" product.

Anyway, if you want to avoid SLS, it might require that you disassociate lathering from cleaning.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 21st, 2009, 09:40 AM
SLS is one of the best lathering agents out there. They even add it to Tom's of Maine toothpaste for the lather, because consumers associate lathering with cleaning. Pretty much anything gentler than SLS means less lather.

Organic certification in the US requires that a certain percentage of the ingredients be organic, but they don't have to ALL be organic unless it says "100% organic." Even then, an ingredient could be derived from an organic source but be processed so much that you don't end up with anything "wholesome" in the end. For example, natural flavors and synthetic flavors can be chemically identical, but only natural flavors derived from organic sources can be included in a "100% organic" product.

Anyway, if you want to avoid SLS, it might require that you disassociate lathering from cleaning.

I know that rule about organic products. What i always say is "a little is better than a lot" :D so i really like organic stuff.

I've been a fan of lather all along, but right now, i'm dropping that habit. I'm even scared of it: i rinse the shampoo right away when i feel it starts lathering :p

bumblebums
December 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM
I hear you on the latherphobia! It was a major step for me to deal with washing my hair without lather, but now I don't miss it at all. Now, if only I could give it up in toothpaste :)

Dreams_in_Pink
December 21st, 2009, 11:00 AM
I hear you on the latherphobia! It was a major step for me to deal with washing my hair without lather, but now I don't miss it at all. Now, if only I could give it up in toothpaste :)

first time i'm fine with having a phobia :D

in my last wash, i used a SLS shampoo but used it only once and very little. After it dried, my hair was in better condition because i could tell there are waves in my hair (normally it'd look like a frizzy hairball).