PDA

View Full Version : I wish I could put my hair in a braid already

juliaxena
December 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I know I'm a pain but if you guys knew how much work my hair is at this lenght... It gets greasy on day after the wash and I can't simply braid it or bun it. I find pony tails boring so my only option is a half up. Do you have any suggestions what I can do with it? My inner evil twin is talking me into a micro trim, but I know this way it won't grow although I always feel better with fresh blunt ends. I need to feel good about my hair during holidays. Please help if you can.

jasper
December 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
If you can't put your hair in a braid, I still think you could put braids in your hair.
you've got more length that this, but it's an idea:
http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/images/Examples/classics/PerFrClassPn.jpg

or:
http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/images/Examples/classics/PerFrClassUnp.jpg

teela1978
December 20th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Can you french braid? I was able to get 2 french braids (one on each side) in my hair when it was chin-length.

BranwenWolf
December 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM
One french braid down each side of my head (starting at the crown) is much easier than one on the back of my head, even if I do look like little house on the prairie.
I still haven't mastered the single french braid.

CindyLea1
December 20th, 2009, 03:51 PM
How do you feel about hats, scarves, 'do rags, and head bands? It took me a gazillion years to get past shoulder length because I hated not being able to do anything with it. So I cut it so it would style, and then hated it.

I feel your pain here I really do! <<HUGS>> to get you through.

flutterbudget
December 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I think at that length I was able to do a little twist thing held with a jaw clip.

marikamt
December 20th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I think at that length I was able to do a little twist thing held with a jaw clip.

Me too..... also a sock bun......

Sheltie_Momma
December 20th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Deeply side swept part in the front with pretty clip, then two pony stubs in the back. Whole thing then covered with a wide stretchy headband.

Gumball
December 20th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Ponytails, banded ponytails, little braids to keep things out of the way, little twists, etc. can all work. I do understand how it goes when there's a length you reach that not a lot can be done yet, so every little thing helps!

Even if you don't like ponytails they are still handy just as a way to keep it up and eventually get surprised at a growth spurt. When I finally was able to put mine up I did that ponybun where you don't pull the tail all the way through on the last loop and that held as a go-to style until I could braid it and eventually bun it.

For a half-up, if your half-up tail has some length you could flip it a la Topsy Tail to add just a tiny piece of flair to it. It breaks the monotony! :) That can also be done with half-up pigtails, too. Good luck and keep on growing!

Yozhik
December 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I second clips and/or headbands :)
As my mom always used to say: try not to think about it.
At the time, this would always infuriate me, but I think it's good advice.
Things will get better, soon!

gnegirl
December 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Your hair type is like mine, i need to trim pretty often too or i get 'fuzzies' on the ends. I would try a french braid, two side combs, a sock bun or an up-clip if you like the fountain look.

Half-up is cute, you can make the half-pony a braid, or a mini-bun held with a pretty barrette or comb.

Hang in there, it will grow. (note to my hair: GROW ALREADY! :D)

Carolyn
December 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hang in there. With each month, you will gain length. With that extra length you'll gain new styles and an ease of styling. You are at a length where you have to work at not being bored with your hair. The good news is that with each month it will get better and easier.

clichepithet
December 20th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Have you tried a Gibson Tuck? It's one of my absolute favorites, though mine is starting to get to the point where it's (dare I say) too long to do this without too much grousing and cursing. Which I'm prone to anyway, so ne'er-you-mind. I think if you can do a pony, you should be able to do the tuck...

bumblebums
December 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM
It looks long enough to do a French braid. Maybe tie a scarf at the end of it to hide the lack of a longer braid.

When I had that length, I would part it and put it into two jaw clips. It doesn't look particularly "grown up" but it is a nice change and it keeps the hair out of your face.

Right now you are definitely at the "awkward length stage"--too short to really put up, too long to look good compared to your old haircut. The only way to get through it is to not cut it! Hang in there, and in two months you'll be able to put it up for real.

juliaxena
December 20th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Your hair type is like mine, i need to trim pretty often too or i get 'fuzzies' on the ends. I would try a french braid, two side combs, a sock bun or an up-clip if you like the fountain look.

Half-up is cute, you can make the half-pony a braid, or a mini-bun held with a pretty barrette or comb.

Hang in there, it will grow. (note to my hair: GROW ALREADY! :D)

I wish soooo much I could do a mini bun in a half up but it won't work.

I'll try a sock bun but I think I will need a really small sock. Twist with a jaw clip works but the hair in it looks so tiny and poor. Will also try to french braid again but it didn't work two weeks ago. Pigtails and two braids etc however won't work because as somebody said it doesn't look very grown up and in my job I need to be taken seriously-I think my boss would tell me to remove that immediately.

Thank you all for suggestions.

hmmm
December 21st, 2009, 02:50 AM
I don't think two braids look unprofessional... but I guess it depends on where you work.

I love Gumball's suggestions about this. I'm at the stage where I can't do a french twist, gibson tuck, or any of the cool styles I should be able to do - because of my layers. I tried to do a french braid today, but it fell out in a few hours. I've done it wet and oiled, it holds for much longer and much better when I do that. You should try it wet if you can't manage dry, it's only for a few months.
I also like the ponytail with the 'loop', that's all I wear now. It's easy and quick.
I liked wearing twin braids but they're hard to do with the layers too and they look messy no matter what, so I'll try those again in a month or so.

Maybe if you focus more on how your hair feels rather than how it looks now you'd feel better about it. Pamper it as much as you can and then forget about it.

Spike
December 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM
Oh, I feel your pain. My hair is APL, but too thick and slick to braid. I can get it twisted around itself a time or three, but seconds after putting in the hairtie, the braid ravels and falls out.

Second the clips and twists ideas--there's a style in the how to pages called the "hot mess." Essentially you make little meandering twists over your head, and I could see this secured with jewelled clips. Unusual and festive and OUT OF THE WAY.

:grouphug: Hang in there!

bumblebums
December 21st, 2009, 09:22 AM
Ah, I just remembered another trick that works with hair your length. I found this weird hairpiece/ponytail holder in a drug store once, and it made even the tiniest bun look pretty cool. It looks like a regular rubber band that someone attached 3-inch hair strands to, all around the length. Put your hair in whatever bun you want, then wrap that around, and it makes it look like your hair is longer. It makes a cute work-compatible look; I got lots of compliments on it when I wore it.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 21st, 2009, 09:22 AM
Can you make a french braid (or french rope braid) and tuck the ends inside?

i'm a similar length with you now. What i do when i'm frustrated is to wear some kind of hair extensions (temporary ones) like clip in pieces, clip in bangs and such.

Anje
December 21st, 2009, 09:36 AM
Seconding what others have said, I'm sure you can manage 2 french braids at this length. You might also be able to do a french twist, or soon will be able to.

lesbia
December 21st, 2009, 09:37 AM
your colour and your shine are amazing...no worry, just wait, they'll grow!!

Arctic
December 21st, 2009, 09:52 AM
I used lots of french/dutch braids at your length, also claw clip buns and beak clip twists. Also mini heidi (double) braids behind ears. I often also wore it otherwise down but lace braided the bangs. Sparkly hair pins/clips were also a lifesafer.

GoddesJourney
December 21st, 2009, 10:15 AM
I'd say two french braids or pig tails. They look cute under a Santa hat anyway.

jojo
December 24th, 2009, 05:40 PM
banana clips are great at your length, plus they make your hair look twice as long. A barenett used side ways (pony hair and clip the baranett sideways) will do the same too

Fluke
December 25th, 2009, 06:09 AM
My longest layer is about as long as your hair in the pictures, I've taken to wearing pigtails lately myself :D

I can also do two french/dutch braids, but because of layers (growing out a pixie) it's a bit hard to fit all the pieces, but it works, I bet it would be even easier with one length hair like yours :)

Hiriel
December 25th, 2009, 03:01 PM
One french braid down each side of my head (starting at the crown) is much easier than one on the back of my head, even if I do look like little house on the prairie.
I still haven't mastered the single french braid.
Hehe, I can do a single French braid, but I'm completely unable to do two ;p

yellowchariot
December 25th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Ponytails, banded ponytails, little braids to keep things out of the way, little twists, etc. can all work. I do understand how it goes when there's a length you reach that not a lot can be done yet, so every little thing helps!

Even if you don't like ponytails they are still handy just as a way to keep it up and eventually get surprised at a growth spurt. When I finally was able to put mine up I did that ponybun where you don't pull the tail all the way through on the last loop and that held as a go-to style until I could braid it and eventually bun it.

For a half-up, if your half-up tail has some length you could flip it a la Topsy Tail to add just a tiny piece of flair to it. It breaks the monotony! :) That can also be done with half-up pigtails, too. Good luck and keep on growing!

^ +1

You should be able to do a single braid or even 2 using very small sections. The banded ponytail is another great idea.

Oskimosa
December 25th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Well... my hair is past bsl, and I still can't braid it. Too many layers, and it's too thick. I can't even make two bumps with two braids. But a general rule is, whatever you can't do with all your hair at your current length, try multiples. Like, if I divide my hair into quarters, I can almost do figure 8's! And I most certainly can do braids. So try two braids or more. Try multiple buns. Play with it in your spare time and you'll not only improve your technique, which may be part of the problem, but also stumble upon things your hair can do now.