PDA

View Full Version : scalp massage?

jera
April 26th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Hi,
I recently started scalp massaging to see if I could improve circulation and boost hair growth. ( I'm such a health fiend when it comes to my hair ). I haven't noticed much of a difference, since I started doing this, but it's only been a week and perhaps it takes longer to show results.
If any of you have tried scalp massage, please share your expeiences with me.:D

ChloeDharma
April 26th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Scalp massage can take a little while to show an effect, and i think that it's often enhanced by using various oils etc. The main benefit i get from it is decreased shedding, normally about a week after starting a routine of massaging my scalp at least every night, normally in the morning too.
I have to admit i tend to keep forgetting to do it though, especially recently.

Aisha25
April 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Hey Jera I was wondering how you do your scalp massage,and for how long and how many times a week?I do mine everyday for 5mins.I put my fingertips on my scalp and move my scalp not my fingers slowly first clockwise then counter clockwise.

Forgot to say I do not do oil everyday when I massage. I oil only everyother day and the day before I do head wash.

Red_Wednesday
June 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
OP - have you noticed any difference yet?

yogachic
June 4th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I don't do scalp massages, I find it very hard to keep it up. Would be worth remembering if it works.

Morag
June 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I am doing scalp massage in the hope of stimulating new growth. I do have some little halo hairs, but I don't know if they're from the massage or because I went WO at about the same time I started massage. My head has been very happy, so I'll probably keep it up. I don't know if massage will help my wide part fill in, but I'm willing to give it some time to see.

hurricane_gia
June 4th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I have a bit of a problem with Sebum staying stuck to my scalp, building up, and becoming crusty. It can look like I tried to rub bread dough in my hair. shudder: And it itches!

Anyway . . . regular scalp massages help with this. I massage the night before wash day, usually with SS hair oil, but sometimes I just use jojoba. Then I wash my hair the next day, and it feels so much better!

I have also noticed a reduction in shedding, but whether that is the massage or the oils, I dunno.

mira-chan
June 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I have a bit of a problem with Sebum staying stuck to my scalp, building up, and becoming crusty. It can look like I tried to rub bread dough in my hair. shudder: And it itches!

Anyway . . . regular scalp massages help with this. I massage the night before wash day, usually with SS hair oil, but sometimes I just use jojoba. Then I wash my hair the next day, and it feels so much better!

I have also noticed a reduction in shedding, but whether that is the massage or the oils, I dunno.

I have the same type of sebum. It's more dry and doesn't move down the length. My dry skin doesn't help either. It seems to be a genetic variation in sebum type.

Scalp massages with a little bit of oil clear up the gunk as oil dissolves oil.

Nevermore
June 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I can't say that I've noticed any difference in growth/shedding, but they help alot with moving sebum and de-stressing. My scalp feels better after I do it too, I think it counteracts my tight bunning.

Blueneko
June 5th, 2008, 08:00 AM
My husband massages my scalp on wash days to rub all the oils in one last time. I am not sure if it increases growth, but since he started, I have been getting many random comments about how long my hair is. I think it might have aided in an extra 1/4 inch over two months. That is just speculation, however, since I am awful at measuring.

Ultimately, it just feels nice. No harm in trying!

Dulci
June 5th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Here's an interesting chapter about scalp massage (http://www.richardsteinhair.com/chapter2.htm) in Richard Stein's free online book, Set Free - The Book about Hair. Chapter 7 is about Finger Drying your hair, which is similar to scalp massage, I've tried that a few times too with success.

Saranne772
June 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
It can take a while to show results.

I have never kept it up over a very prolonged period of time. From time to time I do so anyway. I like the feel of it even if there are no benefits ;)

Morag
June 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Here's an interesting chapter about scalp massage (http://www.richardsteinhair.com/chapter2.htm) in Richard Stein's free online book, Set Free - The Book about Hair. Chapter 7 is about Finger Drying your hair, which is similar to scalp massage, I've tried that a few times too with success.

Thank you, Dulci. This is very interesting! :flower:

Dulci
June 5th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Thank you, Dulci. This is very interesting! :flower:

You're welcome Morag, I'm glad you enjoy it. :flowers:

Rustella
June 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM

Loving this book! Thank you so much Dulci for posting this! :happydance:

Dulci
June 5th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Loving this book! Thank you so much Dulci for posting this! :happydance:

It's fun, isn't it? There are some cool recipes too.

frizzinator
June 6th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Since I stopped washing and rinsing my hair 9 months ago, I have to scritch, massage and preen everyday. I knew massage was beneficial for my scalp years ago, but I couldn't seem to make it a habit.

Massage increased my hair growth for a few months, but eventually it slowed down to it's normal rate.

The reason massage is so important is because we need good blood circulation in the scalp to keep the hair healthy. This becomes more important with age related hair loss. Massage is important even though you are getting a similar stimulation during the process of washing.

Siava
June 6th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Oh wow. This is great! Thank you so much for posting it.

busnutmedic
June 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Ahh, another thread on scalp massage ;) If anyone has anything to add, I'd like to hear it as I am trying to 'get serious' about scalp massages (ie do it on a regular basis) :)

Bonnie

DreamingLong
June 14th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I am also trying to get serious about it, been massaging and taking my vitamins for a month now, and I got an 1" of growth. I never grow that much in a month.

chotee
June 15th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I am on daily scalp massages with light oil and i love to add reflexology every 15 days. This does wonders. Its like accupressure and is very good for hair-health. I feel accupressure, whole body massage, scalp massage, reflexology all go hand in hand. If done at the right time every month and add a little every day, it will be great for hair over all.

chotee