PDA

View Full Version : Black hair assistance

SearMeCarefully
December 20th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Okay..
So I am sitting here with semi dye on my head (wrapped in plastic wrap for ~8 hours) and, as you can see I was auburn before.

Now most of my clothes I have are geared to go well with my auburn hair..

I have no idea what colours looks really great with black hair?!? Or which ones don't go well at all haha
I've tried googling but not much comes up, any suggestions here?

So far all I can think of is turquoise would go well..?

enfys
December 20th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'd say jewel colours look best with black but I lean towards Goth anyway like that.

Blues, reds purples and emerald greens look great with black, as do white black and all the greys/silvers inbetween.

Good luck with the dye!

bumblebums
December 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Black and red were my favorite when I had black hair. But really, pretty much anything goes with black, in my opinion. Even pastels and whites.

GlassEyes
December 20th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Really depends on any other number of factors, like skintone, eye color, personality, etc. Black hair doesn't necessarily change everything. :shrug:

Xandergrammy
December 20th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I really loved your auburn hair!!

JamieRose
December 20th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I agree with Glasseyes- but if your hair is truly going to be black, that's a neutral, so anything looks good really. You might want to check out the threads that talk about what season you are- I'm lazy at the moment but a quick search will turn them up- there's a lot of good info about what colors are flattering for your hair/skin/eyes.

Thinthondiel
December 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I have black hair again, and I find that brown doesn't really suit me all that well compared to when I have my natural colour. Other than that, any colour goes.

Kris Dove
December 20th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I loved having black hair- it goes with everything! :) Now I'm back to my natural mousy blonde, I find a lot of colours clash, or look washed out etc. I wore a lot of reds, deep purples and burgundies when I was raven haired, they don't look nearly as good next to blonde. :(

Bright and light colors will really show off your hair to it's best advantage when you're wearing it down, while when I'm blonde it looks best next to black for contrast.

Lots of dark gothy eyeliner always looks great with black hair.

cindy58
December 20th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I really loved your auburn hair!!

Me too! Your avatar photo is gorgeous!

ccmuffingirl
December 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I think depends on your skin tone and your fashion sense. One of the benefits of having darker hair, in my opinion, is that you can get away with wearing a lot more color. With the skin tone thing they say those with red and pink undertones look good in cooler colors, whereas those with yellow undertones look good in warmer colors, if that makes any sense. I like it when black haired people wear a lot of vibrant, jewel tones; lots of rich colors. Just experiment and have fun. Black hair is very forgiving :).

Yozhik
December 20th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I have dark dark brown hair that most people think is black, and I tend to stick to jewel tones and fall colors. Maybe it's just personal preference, though (I don't like pastels as a rule).
I would second that my friends have told me before not to wear brown or black if it's too close to my hair color because it looks bad, but that's about it.
I say go with whatever colors you like to wear :)

georgia_peach
December 20th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Sorry to change the subject, but are you using Henna and Indigo? I'm just wondering what type of "semi dye" stays on for 8 hours.

Regarding colors that go with black hair: I agree with jewel tones and turquoise. Can't wait to see pics, and best of luck!

Pear Martini
December 20th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Okay..
So I am sitting here with semi dye on my head (wrapped in plastic wrap for ~8 hours) and, as you can see I was auburn before.

Now most of my clothes I have are geared to go well with my auburn hair..

I have no idea what colours looks really great with black hair?!? Or which ones don't go well at all haha
I've tried googling but not much comes up, any suggestions here?

So far all I can think of is turquoise would go well..?

As someone who has had black hair for years, I can tell you.

Red- This will be your go-to color when you want to look good.
Hot Pink
Light pink
Teal
Gray

angelthadiva
December 20th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I always kinda thought it was odd that people would match their clothes to their hair :confused: I can understand skin tone. I've heard that red heads shouldn't wear green, blondes should stay away from yellow etc. I think it's all rubbish! Wear what you look good in, and who cares if you break some rules :shrug:

I'm all about wearing white after Labor Day! :D

RavennaNight
December 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Black hair, I have found, adds verstility to what one can wear, because it is a "neutral" color. I think skin tone matters more.

teela1978
December 20th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I always kinda thought it was odd that people would match their clothes to their hair :confused: I can understand skin tone. I've heard that red heads shouldn't wear green, blondes should stay away from yellow etc. I think it's all rubbish! Wear what you look good in, and who cares if you break some rules :shrug:

I'm all about wearing white after Labor Day! :D

I did find that when I went from my natural mousy brown to a rather vibrant red that certain colors stopped working as well for me. With brown hair, I can pull off pale yellow pretty well. With red it looked bad. Red looked fantastic with pale blues on me, brown.... seems to work better with medium blues. Not real sure why, but it seemed to ring true. Green actually worked really well with both though.

Thinthondiel
December 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
As someone who has had black hair for years, I can tell you.

Red- This will be your go-to color when you want to look good.
Hot Pink
Light pink
Teal
Gray

I was just thinking about hot pink! I've never really liked pink all that much, but hot pink looks fantastic with black.

honeybrown1976
December 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
It's not your hair, but your skin tone that matters. If you have black hair and fair skin, many colors will make you look chalkish and can be very unforgiving. Tread carefully.

BlackfootHair
December 20th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I have black hair and fair skin, and wear just about whatever color I fancy. I haven't noticed any colors making me look washed out. But then, I'm quite happy with my pale self. :) Have fun with your new color! :) Black is a lovely color...not that I'm biased or anything. lol

SearMeCarefully
December 20th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Most of the punky type brands you can wear as long as it doesn't have peroxide? Like special effects etc

I just washed out my hair and it just looks really dark brown, so I'm going to use more tomorrow and hopefully it'll do it this time

Yeah I have no idea the fall winter spring thing I just can't tell what colours I'm supposed to be looking for in my skin I just don't get it? I've always been "uhh.. i dunno?" Haha

Pear Martini
December 20th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I was just thinking about hot pink! I've never really liked pink all that much, but hot pink looks fantastic with black.

I was never a big fan either but hot pink looks striking on people with black hair.

Most of the punky type brands you can wear as long as it doesn't have peroxide? Like special effects etc

I just washed out my hair and it just looks really dark brown, so I'm going to use more tomorrow and hopefully it'll do it this time

Yeah I have no idea the fall winter spring thing I just can't tell what colours I'm supposed to be looking for in my skin I just don't get it? I've always been "uhh.. i dunno?" Haha

I'm telling you red will be your new best friend.

Also, lime green if you are light skinned.

BlackfootHair
December 21st, 2009, 02:44 PM
Do we get to see? :) Pics or it didn't happen. lol :p

JamieRose
December 21st, 2009, 03:02 PM

Ha that's pretty much how I've always felt... so maybe that wasn't the best advice :p

pictures pleaaase!

didrash
December 21st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Well, its my personal opinion that black hair is quite a neutral color - by itself it goes with anything, I find my black hair really versatile. So I think choosing colors is more about your skin tone when you have black hair. It goes with bright colors and it goes with pastel...

heidi w.
December 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM
One thought....your skin tone.

While there are a bunch of colors that look good with black hair, some of those colors may not ALSO go well with your skin tone. You want something that makes the whole thing look together, not washed out or sallow in some way.

Just keep that in mind as you choose colors.

Also, while a given color may look good or not so good, exploring the hue of a color can be a smart move. Let's take white for example. There are many tonalities of white: off white, an ivory color, a nearly bisque or even almost deep white that some may term as beige......these different tonalities may have better or less effect for the whole of your look.

Another way to explore tone -- some colors are, say, a purple, and a purple could be more red or more blue, or more green even. A red alone can be more burgundy, or cranberry or a hot red meaning more orange-ish tone, or rather more yellow to it.

If you have a top that isn't so popping, a great way to add to color is through dangly earrings or a nice necklace, where there's a bit of play of color close to the face. This is particularly helpful if you have to wear a work shirt that is so not YOU! LOL

Ok, hope this helps. Have fun!
heidi w.

ETA:
This new hair color may also mean you amend your makeup, if you wear any at all, a little bit -- such as eye shadow or lip color, or even find a need for a touch of some kind of cheek highlighting.

heidi w.

SearMeCarefully
December 26th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone!
Yes I've had a hard time filling in my eyebrows and keeping it from looking too.. POW BLACK BROWS! But I'm getting a hang of it
I will post pictures soon, because of the long hair we really had to stretch the dye and now I have to do touch ups! But it's not too bad you really have to look to see it I think

jaine
December 26th, 2009, 10:46 AM
You have blue eyes right? Here are two colors I think would look amazing

Prussian blue (http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/blue-c4d-wallpaper-11.jpg)

Red wine (http://backgrounds.mysitemyway.com/wp-content/Userfiles/Galleries/grunge-hearts/grunge-hearts-000970-deep-maroon.jpg)

Bellona
December 26th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I am a blonde who used to dye my hair black. I dyed it black because I originally dyed it a darker medium brown, and it wasn't that attractive on me. Black actually went so much better with my coloring than brown hair, because my skin coloring is quite neutral.

I found I could wear pure white, royal blue, deep purple, wines, grays, magenta, forest greens, etc. Jewel tones, as someone said. Basically all the colors that looked good on me as a blonde but just a "deeper" version of them. I usually had to avoid browns/golds/tans because they just didn't work, but most of them don't work on me in general.

Enjoy your new color :)

Dreams_in_Pink
December 26th, 2009, 01:26 PM
as far as i know, all the colours should go well with black :)