PDA

View Full Version : Ziplock dye release..

Hanamizu
December 19th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I tried this trick of mixing the henna in a ziplock baggie, with a paper towel under it to see when the dye is released.. but it doesn't work?.. I used only lemon juice, it's been sitting for 13 hours now, just tested it on my palm and there's definitely dye release, but it doesn't show on the paper towel. I even tried 2 different ziplock baggies.. am I missing something? :s

Cat Lady
December 20th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Maybe you've got some really thick, quality zip-lock bags?

I only usually notice a very faint haze of pastel orange on the paper towel, then I test it on my palm for dye release anyway.

Sounds like you'll just be best off testing it in the normal way!

Good luck finding a henna that will give you the colour you're after Hanamizu :)

caribou55313
December 20th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I've never been able to get henna dye to penetrate plastic, either in a ziploc or just regular plastic wrap ... so I just skin test on my palm! :)

Anje
December 21st, 2009, 09:04 AM
Hmmm... I've never put a paper towel under the ziplock... I normally wrap it in a towel though, and I'm thankful that it doesn't ooze out through the bag! I would have ruined a few towels.

If you have dye release when you test in on your hand, use it! That's good enough.

Next time, consider mixing it with water (perhaps distilled if you don't like your tap water) rather than lemon juice. When I tried using primarily lemon juice, I tended to get nasty itchy skin for a few days post-henna from the acid and dryness. Plus, you typically get better dye release with warm water than with lemon juice.

khyricat
December 21st, 2009, 09:31 PM
I generally mix with just tap water.. and I have never noticed it seeping through the baggie, what I notice is a difference in the color of the mix IN the bag...