PDA

View Full Version : Dustbunnies have taken up residence in my BBB!

Beets
December 19th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I've done a search and read back through, and I've read the "official" protocol on the brand Web sites, but darn it if I don't still have these sticky dustballs at the bottom of each tuft of bristles that won't come off no matter what I do. I've broken three brush-cleaning combs trying to get to them. (The brush was so expensive, and yet the cleaning combs are cheap crap! What gives!?)

Do I just live with these? I can't tell if it's seriously impacting the effectiveness of my brush. Is this when it's time to say adios to my brush (it's a 7-year-old Kent with sentimental value, so I'd hate to do that)? What else can I try?

TIA for your suggestions!

Konstifik
December 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Oh, great questions! There are bunnies as big as hares in my dear BBB, so I haven't dared to use it. I hope someone knows a good way to get rid of them. Maybe placing dust-carrots next to it. :)

HildeMV
December 20th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I've tried softening them with water with conditioner in it first, and then removing each bunny manually. It takes some work, but it worked for me.

Heavenly Locks
December 20th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Vaccuum?? :)

Sammich
December 20th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I just soak my BBB in the sink with a bit of shampoo for about 5 minutes, and it seems to clear it pretty well. At least for me. :D It leaves dust bunnies in the sink! :D

Shicurls
December 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Maybe placing dust-carrots next to it.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Love it!

Shicurls
December 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I should add that if I use my Aubrey Organics liquid soap on my BBB, and make sure it gets into all of the rows, it usually cleans out the brush nicely and keeps the bristles soft. Just make sure to rinse the brush really well!

chrissy-b
December 20th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I soak them in water and shampoo (after removing all the hair and dust I can) and they come completely clean.

enfys
December 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Thank goodness I have a DH who loves cleaning my brushes of fluff, lint, hair and whatever else almost daily. I knew there was a reason I married him.

Before that, I'd wet any hair detangling tools with water, squirt a cheap shampoo over them, leave it to soak as I wash my hair, then give it a good rub in to the base of the bristles and rinse it VERY VERY VERY well, until there are no bubbles.

Slug Yoga
December 21st, 2009, 01:38 AM
I have also had good luck just washing the brushes with shampoo... maybe taking a Q-tip and rubbing it around the clusters of bristles to loosen up any grodiness collecting there. If it's a boar-bristle brush, it might smell a bit funny while it is drying, but that smell will go away once the brush is totally dry.

Bene
December 21st, 2009, 09:43 AM
I use a pin to gently pry them out one by one. It takes a while, you have to attack every section from several angles, but it's effective.

baobhan sith
December 21st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Rinse it off, and absolutely coat it in cheap sls shampoo. Then wash the shampoo off using a shower head on the highest water pressure (you know when you twist it, so less water comes out?). Even if there is some left in, it's a lot less gunked together - and for what's left, i FINALLY found a use for my hair dryer!

heidi w.
December 21st, 2009, 11:23 AM
The problem is that a BBB works because it holds on to sebum and oils in hair on the bristles of this brush, really, really, really well. If this brush is kept in the average bathroom or bedroom zonage where it's basically out in the open, it will collect a lot of dustbunnies that way.

Even if in a drawer or pouch it still might. Some of that might also be detris picked up out of the hair's length.

You can try washing this brush by dusting baking soda on the bristles, with a dribble of water, and let that bubble up, and then use a sturdy comb or fingers to see if that loosens things up a bit.

I also find that about every 3-4 years I just simply have to replace the brush. It just might be time.

I have cleaned this brush historically with baking soda blended in plain ole hot water, placing the brush bristles face down in the pan. Most of the time, this gets at that bit at the very base of the brush. I then will work a comb through with baking soda ETA: on the bristles, leaving the baking soda there END ETA because this breaks that bond of hairs all bound and oils together. Then rinse quite well and air dry COMPLETELY. I do depress a lint-free towel into the bristles to help remove the wetness and move the drying process on a bit.

IF you put the brush in such a pool of water, do know that the water may break down and affect of a bit of the wood. Many BBB's are a wood handle and backdrop to the paddle end that the rubber is adhered to, in which the bristles are attached.

There is likely a little hole somewhere and water can get in under the rubber, so you may have to shake and press down and squeeze to work that water out.

Once the BBB is completely dry, and if successful at getting all the tidbits out (I usually was), then you may find a need to apply the tracest of oil back on to the bristles. Simply put the smallest of dots of oil in the palm of one hand. Then rub hands together so that there's almost no hint that there's oil on your hands. Then rub the bristles with your hand, depressing the heel of your very, very, very lightly oiled hand into the bristles, deeply. This is sufficient because your hair, if you oil or whatever product you use, the bristles will pick it up.

It's like that oil is a magnetic field! So I keep mine in a drawer out of the main air of a house/apartment, and even keep mine in a nice little drawstring pouch (the top where the bristles are). This is very simple to sew, even by hand, if you're up for it.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM
I use a pin to gently pry them out one by one. It takes a while, you have to attack every section from several angles, but it's effective.

I've done that prior to a cleaning. It's important to loosen as much as you can prior to a cleaning. I remove all extra hair strands and so on prior to cleaning.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Rinse it off, and absolutely coat it in cheap sls shampoo. Then wash the shampoo off using a shower head on the highest water pressure (you know when you twist it, so less water comes out?). Even if there is some left in, it's a lot less gunked together - and for what's left, i FINALLY found a use for my hair dryer!

Like the hair dryer idea for drying the bristles faster!
heidi w.