PDA

View Full Version : Removing horrid dye with dishsoap experiment

Pear Martini
December 19th, 2009, 06:16 PM
nevermind.............................

amaiaisabella
December 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I would do a CO to remove the honey but the dish soap is pretty harsh to your hair. Is there anything else you can use to clarify? Something like Suave Clarifying?

spidermom
December 19th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Be sure to follow your Dawn wash with a moisture/deep conditioning treatment. I once had to use it to get rid of Vaseline for a Halloween look, and it worked like a miracle.

I would mix the honey with conditioner and leave it on my head under a shower cap for as long as possible, then rinse it out with lots of warm water. It will likely make your hair feel very silky; you'll like it. Also try a warm olive oil treatment; it is said to pull color. People who have had color services at a salon are often told to avoid oil for this reason.

jasper
December 19th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I think you can get the honey out with water. Shouldn't take anything special.

Rapunzal2Be
December 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM
If it were me (and it has been), I'd give it a good soak in the dish soap (or if you can find Prell, it is a tad less harsh) then rinse in hot water. This will really ravage your hair, but will strip a lot of color out. Follow with an SMT without heating the honey. Leave it as loooooooooooooong as you can, rinse, and let your hair rest.

Next day do a looooooooooooooong hot oil soak. This will pull a lot of color as well but not ravage your hair. Rinse, another SMT, rinse and let it rest.

I'd repeat the hot oils as often as you want, but seriously only do the dish soap once (or forgo it altogether if you can). The hot oil will strip the color without damage, and it will lighten up with time.

julya
December 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I tried to remove black temporary dye from my hair back in middle school with dish soap, but it didn't budge. I tried liquid laundry detergent too, with little success. It did fade eventually. Good luck!

And honey is a lovely treatment for your hair, and just rinsing it out with water has worked for me.

Pear Martini
December 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
So right now I have honey in my sopping wet hair. Its wrapped with saran wrap and topped with a shower cap. Its still dripping on me tho it feels so gross! i DONT KNOW what else I can do to make it stop dripping :(:confused:

spidermom
December 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Wrap your head up in a towel to catch the drips around the edges.

Pear Martini
December 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I would do a CO to remove the honey but the dish soap is pretty harsh to your hair. Is there anything else you can use to clarify? Something like Suave Clarifying?

I have been using v05's clarifying shampo for the past two weeks and some of the color has budged, but its not really working the way I thought it would. Oh well.

Wrap your head up in a towel to catch the drips around the edges.

Nice. I hope it doesn't warm up the honey too much. I heard it doesn't lighten when its warmed up.

ETA:
btw, what kind of halloween look did you acheive with the vaseline?

Madame J
December 19th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Nice. I hope it doesn't warm up the honey too much. I heard it doesn't lighten when its warmed up.

I'm pretty sure it has to be warmed more than body temperature to stop lightening. Ktani always says to microwave it for like a minute, which would get it pretty hot. Also, are you using the right dilution for honey lightening?

Pear Martini
December 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM
[quote=Madame J;901124]I'm pretty sure it has to be warmed more than body temperature to stop lightening. Ktani always says to microwave it for like a it. The only thing I used was honey and walgreens brand honey. The water is good old Miami tap water.

spidermom
December 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
btw, what kind of halloween look did you acheive with the vaseline?

I was a skull-face and slicked all my hair back and flat to my head with Vaseline. Great Halloween look; not so great when the Vaseline wouldn't wash out, until a friend told me about Dawn. That worked with only one wash, and it didn't leave my hair horribly dry, either. Of course it was only a little longer than shoulder length at the time.

Gothic Lolita
December 20th, 2009, 12:30 AM
For me, hot oiligs and ACV washes got out that terrbile and definitley permanent clairol semi-perm dye! I choe black, and while it took a while to make it dissappear, my air didn't suffer from it. I didn't know about dish washing detergents back then, but I'v read good stories about it.

Cherry_Sprinkle
December 20th, 2009, 02:38 AM
hot oilings never did anything to my color I'm always amazed when people say this worked for them.. the only thing that worked for me was a ton of SLS shampoo, but coconut milk pulled red off of my highlights before I started using henna.

amaiaisabella
December 20th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I have been using v05's clarifying shampo for the past two weeks and some of the color has budged, but its not really working the way I thought it would. Oh well.

I've heard Suave's is more stripping. V05 didn't do anything for my hair :shrug:

SearMeCarefully
December 20th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I'm totally interested to see the results. I have some semi dye (black) on my head right now and I don't think it'll last until may but if it does I'll have to try all the tricks too haha

I've wanted to dye my hair black since jr high but just recently found out semi isn't damaging to hair.. and it's not SUPPOSED to last more than 2-3 months

Madame J
December 20th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I'm not quite sure. My hair was wet when I applied it. The only thing I used was honey and walgreens brand honey. The water is good old Miami tap water.

You might want to check out The Honey Thread on the Herbal Haircare Forum if you want to use honey for lightening. But it'll already be a great conditioning treatment after your dishsoap wash.

Also, I was just wondering if things like ColorOops don't work on semi-permanent color.

Pear Martini
December 20th, 2009, 11:03 AM
For me, hot oiligs and ACV washes got out that terrbile and definitley permanent clairol semi-perm dye! I choe black, and while it took a while to make it dissappear, my air didn't suffer from it. I didn't know about dish washing detergents back then, but I'v read good stories about it.

I will be keeping this in mind

Elainehali
December 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Whenever I've had to remove hair color I mix baking soda and shampoo 1:1 and use that.

You can even SMELL the chemicals being pulled out as your shower will smell like ammonia.

Rapunzal2Be
December 20th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I, too, recommend looking up the honey lightening thread because in order to use honey to lighten you need to follow the recommended amounts, not just cover your head in honey.

Pear Martini
December 20th, 2009, 07:27 PM
nevermind :) !

Gvnagitlvgei
December 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM
Clairol Uncolor has permanent and semi-permanent formulas to undo color without wrecking your hair.

Pear Martini
December 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
Clairol Uncolor has permanent and semi-permanent formulas to undo color without wrecking your hair.

Oh wow... I didn't know they made that. Do they sell them at walgreens or at sallys?

Anje
December 21st, 2009, 11:20 AM
Personally, I don't like the feeling of a high concentration of honey on my hair, or the results afterward. (Super-honeyed SMTs aren't as nice as the regular kind, for me.) In your position, I think I'd suggest simply soaking in conditioner or a conditioner-honey mixture rather than just the straight honey and/or oil, for more moisture following the dishsoap treatment.

Also, you might find that mixing shampoo and baking soda gives an ammonia sort of smell even without having chemicals on your hair. It did for me.