PDA

View Full Version : Haircut advice. Hairdressers out there?

Um Enis
December 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Well, about 4 months ago I chopped more than a foot off my TB length length hair, bringing it to BSL and layers to boot.

I want to let it grow again... but here's the dilemma: I have recently rediscovered blow-drying after a 7 year hair-health hiatus. I don't do it often, a few times a month, but I want it to look good on the occasions I do it. But I can't blow dry the layers right. They just look weird. But, I hate to grow out my hair without the layers because a) my hair was so much at TB (and my goal is classic) and b) it looks so much nicer coming out of a bun with the layers.

What can I do? Is there a compromise... any suggestions?

detritus
December 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Layers that are cut right for your hair type should be easy to style. They may have been cut well initially, but 4 months is enough time to get some uneven growth and uneven layers. I'd suggest getting a *little* trim with a stylist you trust.

Sheltie_Momma
December 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I'm not a stylist but blowdrying layers is something I've spent like 20 years doing so i feel sort of qualified...

Back when I still used the blow dryer I would clip up all the hair except one certain section, so that I was only working with a chunk of hair that was all the same length at any one time. I then used a large roller brush and directed the hair the way I wanted it to go (under, flipped up or barrel curled to either side), by rolling the hair onto the brush and passing back and forth over it with the dryer, essentially I was hot rollering my hair. Once I finished each section I would set it on a large plastic roller and let it cool while I moved on to the next section. Then I would spray it while still on the roller, then remove the roller once the hair was completely cool and the spray was dry. This method took me about an hour at BSL and would hold for 2-3 days (unless it rained). The trick, for me, was to only work with a chunk of hair that was about all the same length, this works well with fresh layers on thick hair, your mileage may vary.

lapushka
December 21st, 2009, 09:45 AM
You might want to blow it dry upside down, then go through it here and there with one hand, lifting it up at the root some while drying. That will give it volume which is esp. good with layers. That's how I used to blowdry many many years ago.

Spike
December 21st, 2009, 09:48 AM
I don't see why you couldn't grow out with the layers. It'll take the same commitment to trims as any other hairstyle in order to keep the shape, but that's about it.